• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

See NYC from the subway train operator's POV

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I thought some people might get a kick out of these videos. Video is taken from the perspective of the train conductor. Both links are real time shots. Enjoy.

7 Train. Going from 34th Street, Manhattan to Flushing, Queens. 12:19 mark is when it exists the tunnels and into Queens (above ground).

The 7 line rapid transit services in the A Division of the New York City Subway, providing local service along the full length of the IRT Flushing Line. It operates between Main Street in Flushing, Queens and 34th Street – Hudson Yards in Chelsea, Manhattan.

J Train. Going from lower Manhattan to Jamaica Center, Queens. 11:00 mark is when it exists the tunnels, onto Williamsburg Bridge and into Brooklyn (above ground).

The J is a rapid transit service in the B Division of the New York City Subway. The J operates at all times and uses the entire BMT Archer Avenue, Jamaica, and Nassau Street lines between Jamaica Center – Parsons/Archer in Jamaica, Queens and Broad Street in Lower Manhattan (via the Williamsburg Bridge between Brooklyn and Manhattan). On weekdays, trains run express in the peak direction in Brooklyn between Myrtle Avenue and Marcy Avenue, bypassing three stations.

Loxley

I really love all the graffiti on the walls in the tunnels, thinking about how long some of that has probably been there.

Does the NYC subway system still use that ancient switchboard thing from the 1940's to tell where all the trains are? I thought I remembered a thread on GAF about it a while back.

Pics_nao

I've taken the J multiple times on my way to school and sometimes there'd be the older J trains where the front of the car has a small window where you can see everything. Was pretty neat.

I want to see GoPro PoV of the train conductor who see people run up to the train and close doors anyway to catch people's limps.

Zok310

Banned
Nice, some reason the odor of the subway came rushing back to me while watching the vid, dont think i will ever be able to shake that smell.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I really love all the graffiti on the walls in the tunnels, thinking about how long some of that has probably been there.

Not only that, but what I admire most is they tagged those walls knowing few people would see them.

Very cool. I take the 7 every day to and from work, and in the spring and summer (and sometimes fall) to see the Mets out at Citi Field. Interesting to see this perspective.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Not only that, but what I admire most is they tagged those walls knowing few people would see them.

You should see some of the stuff people have done in the abandoned and unused tunnels and sections of the NYC underground. There are entire rooms pained from floor to ceiling with some amazing graffiti I have ever seen.

Urban exploring the NYC underground with some friends was one of the coolest and scariest times of my life.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
You should see some of the stuff people have done in the abandoned and unused tunnels and sections of the NYC underground. There are entire rooms pained from floor to ceiling with some amazing graffiti I have ever seen.

Urban exploring the NYC underground with some friends was one of the coolest and scariest times of my life.

The Underbelly Project blew my mind. I would love to visit it someday.

I would be scared shitless if I explored the NYC underground lol.

I would love to go to NYC to visit one day. One of my bucket list items. But he should have put the camera on top of the train.

maxresdefault.jpg

PreFire

Thought I saw Leonardo at the 4 minute mark

Seriously though, pretty cool. I don't take the subway often anymore, and when I used to get the front car, I'd always be in the front window looking out. There was too much glare though compared to this. They should do the N train too. It goes outside

All I need is to see the A train go to Far Rockaway (where it goes over very long and low bridges over Jamaica Bay, passing by many houses and house boats on the way) and I'll be happy.

DJ Hammers posts on the r/NYC subreddit from time to time with cool train related vids.

If you enjoy this type of stuff I would also check out r/slowtv as there are a TON of long journey videos and most are in HD from POV.

edit: a while ago a found these vintage videos of the old NYC elevated trains. Some are full rides with commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UW3ZjYVskk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM7kXFndVtk

a bunch more are on his page or linked on the related vids. vintage NYC with elevated subways is fascinating to me.

Wow americans really get close to that yellow line compared to canada (at least toronto).

edit: TV has lead me to believe that NY subway would be dirty and dank. This looked nice enough.

edit: TV has lead me to believe that NY subway would be dirty and dank. This looked nice enough.

XuBNLbo.jpg

Gf4VbFX.jpg

J line, Chambers St (I think)

Basically, some stations and lines are better than others. But even as someone who's lived here all my life, I was completely shocked to see this station for the first time last November, which is why I took pictures of it. Worst station I've ever seen so far, partially due to the many platforms that have been abandoned for dozens of years.

Above ground stations are pretty much always clean just because they're above ground, and the 7 line is almost entirely above ground.

I had to use that station on the J line a few years back. It was not as brightly lit as it is in your photos. Only time using the subway where I was actually worried about my safety. It was straight out of some 80s movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom