• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega cancels Altered Beast in the US

jarrod

Banned
sp0rsk said:
what on earth is going on at sega?
Seriously... their 2004 library of games has to be the worst they've ever had and 2005 isn't looking much better. :/

Sega-Sammy need to clean house and get things in order.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Compared to this year, 2005 isn't looking much worse either.

Yet.

Cimarron

20010601l.gif

No surprise here. It was absolute shite at TGS - embarrassing really.

Most certainly Mastiff acquisition material.

And yes, wtf is going on with Sega/Sammy?

jenov4

Judging by the 'upgrades' sega has been doing with their Sega Ages series of games, I don't think we'll be missing out too much.

;)

callous

The original game sucked, the GBA game sucked and I'm pretty sure this one sucks as well. No big loss.

I never understood why people rave about this piece of mediocrity. Must be because it was one of the first things they saw moving on their Megadrives. A great game it was not.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I want to know what's going on with Phantasy Star Universe.

That's the only interest I have in Sega now :-S

xexex

Banned
godamnit.

oh well not much of a loss ... still i would have been a sucker and bought it because i must have everything Sega :/

gunstarhero

The original game sucked, the GBA game sucked and I'm pretty sure this one sucks as well. No big loss.

I never understood why people rave about this piece of mediocrity. Must be because it was one of the first things they saw moving on their Megadrives. A great game it was not.

Buy that man a beer!

Seriously - has anyone who is upset about this news ever PLAY the original? It's crap -

Now give me my Alex Kidd sequel sans the mutton chops. (yea, I know nobody will buy it...)

xexex

Banned
the original Altered Beast coin-op was awesome and saw alot of play in arcades. it was literally everywhere. every arcade i visited in 1989-1990 had an AB machine. the Genesis version sucked, as did the GBA version. actually EVERY version of Altered Beast sucked, save the original coin-op, IMO.

vireland

actually EVERY version of Altered Beast sucked, save the original coin-op

Errr...I call rose colored glasses. Even the coin-op is pretty crappy by 21st century standards. I don't think they could have done much to make it cool without making it a completely different game. Forget AB anyway. Give me an updated Final Fight - and not some crap like Fighting Force.

after reading the IGN article..it sounds like more of a rumor. They say Alter Beast is still being developed by Sega of Japan, and will be published in Japan and Europe. They claim that a close source , say that Sega oF America will pass on the game. If they pass on the game..i have to question them, since I think Altered beast is more of an importanat IP then Astro Boy and Blood Will Tell, and both those games are said to be crap. I think some publisher will bring it over.

WarPig

Sega's issued an official statement. It's not coming here. Japanese version's still due out on January 27.

Funny trivia: the official genre on Sega's Japanese page is "Violence Action."

DFS.

WarPig

Atari isn't bigger than Sega, by any rational measuring stick. Atari is rapidly becoming a purveyor of crap anime spinoffs and naught else. If they survive 2005 without getting eaten, I'll be surprised.

DFS.

WarPig said:
Atari isn't bigger than Sega, by any rational measuring stick. Atari is rapidly becoming a purveyor of crap anime spinoffs and naught else. If they survive 2005 without becoming the next Acclaim, I'll be surprised.

DFS.

FIXED!

Brannon

Altered Beast Arcade was awesome because every time I kicked the token slots I got a free game. Two years of free Altered Beastiness; YOU CAN'T BEAT THAT.

Except when you get bored and gravitate toward games that are actually good. U.N. Squadron fan fo' lyfe!

Jonnyram

Atari is just a badge bought by Infogrames. It shouldn't even be compared to Sega.
...until someone buys the Sega brand :lol

Yusaku

Who would've thought Sega would be looking back on the Saturn days with fond memories?

also RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

Top Bottom