• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sept NPD

SolidSnakex said:
One game isn't enough to overcome GTASA, GT4, MGS3 and the PStwo. The PS2 will be the best selling system this holiday with ease. The Xbox will take second with ease, and then you'll have to GC picking up the scraps.

Halo 2 is no ordinary game. I'm positive Xbox will outsell PS2 this holiday season.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Microsoft has done what Nintendo could not. Beat Sony in the home console area. However temporary it is.
Nintendo was also able to outsell PS2 temporarily. 15 days or so, as far as I remember, from their PR :p At the end, total sales of PS2 are untouchable. I don't think Sony execs are losing much sleep over being outsold by any small temporary amount.

Is it also correct that;

Halo has 1/6 of the potential consumer base than GT3 ?

Halo was released after GT3 ?
I think it's also true that GT3 is still far ahead when it comes to worldwide sales (NPD is US only). Not sure, though.

Renegade

Banned
DopeyFish said:
PS2 hauls the most ass during christmas. Now with Halo 2 coming out the doors late in the year, do you think it will be enough to come close or surpass PS2 in the Christmas season? I remember Xbox getting somewhat close to PS2 numbers last year then ended up getting 3rd in sales for november and december :/
The Xbox won't clearly surpass the PS2 this holiday season. I expect the PS2 to lead year-through unless Microsoft has some major plans in regards to pricing and bundling. However, Sony's lead won't be by a million margin as it was in the past. PSTwos will be in full effect next NPD so we'll be 100% sure it's effect on sales next month. It definitely has more appeal than the Xbox to casuals, and we're entering mass-market time right about now.

However, after the Christmas rush, I expect gains in sales for MS percentage-wise. They have the clear advantage in marketable titles first half 2005, and I expect a price drop.

The Xbox is going to take November, but the PStwo will command December.

IF Microsoft wisens up and either cuts the price of the new bundle by 20 bucks or create a limited edition Xbox run in the US, then my prediction will change.

Flynn

Grubdog said:
What the? Why did so many people choose Fire Red over Leaf Green? I thought Leaf Green would be more popular because it's a "new" colour, I guess people are afraid of new things...

Red is teh mature.

Insertia

Operations said:
Halo 2 is no ordinary game. I'm positive Xbox will outsell PS2 this holiday season.

You will be extremely dissapointed. Xbox barely outsold PS2 while PS2's shipments are low.

Kanbee-san said:
Thats a bit harsh no ?

Fable is a great game. Remove fable from xbox and you still have a great game, i am betting that if it were on GCN only your tune would play bells.

You must be scraping he barrel to lump Halo 2 into the argument as well.

I'm not taking anything away from Fable. But coming in as a new game in a new franchise it had a little bit more to sustain it other than hype. I'm not saying it's not a great game because it probably is.

All I'm saying is that for such a game to have sold so well it must have appealed not only to the hardcore but also the mainstream - the bulk of the buyers. And for them, hype alone would have been the prime motivator.

The Halo 2 comment I added because hype also is a big factor for said title.

Wulfer

I'd love to see M$ add insult to injury and drop the Xbox down to 129 or 129 with halo packed in one week before Thanksgiving. :D

Mrbob

One great thing about the success of Fable is that hopefully it'll open the eyes to publishers that new IPs can succeed in great lengths.

Barnimal

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
One game isn't enough to overcome GTASA, GT4, MGS3 and the PStwo. The PS2 will be the best selling system this holiday with ease. The Xbox will take second with ease, and then you'll have to GC picking up the scraps.

the hype of GT3 alone was enough in the begining of PS2s lifetime. why cant halo 2 do the same? there were tons more "accessible" games around GT3s time yet GT3 still made a huge mark.

huzkee said:
I'm not taking anything away from Fable. But coming in as a new game in a new franchise it had a little bit more to sustain it other than hype. I'm not saying it's not a great game because it probably is.

All I'm saying is that for such a game to have sold so well it must have appealed not only to the hardcore but also the mainstream - the bulk of the buyers. And for them, hype alone would have been the prime motivator.

The Halo 2 comment I added because hype also is a big factor for said title.

Thats cool :)

Odysseus

Banned
snapty00 said:
Just for reference, has many months has GameCube outsold PlayStation 2 in the U.S.? Did it do it at launch at least?

None. 11/01 had PS2 at 919131, Xbox at 722177, and GameCube at 662560. The closest it has been (percentage wise) was in November 2003 after the successful drop to $99, it sold 88.8% of what the PS2 did that month. It dropped back down to 59% the following month, and has been no higher ever since.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
GC is doing really shitty, hopefully the DS will get nintendo on casuals' minds this christmas and help boost sales.

MrparisSM

Banned
Insertia said:
You will be extremely dissapointed. Xbox barely outsold PS2 while PS2's shipments are low.

I work at Best Buy part time, and Xbox is sold out as well as PS2s. Now what was your point again?

WULFER said:
I'd love to see M$ add insult to injury and drop the Xbox down to 129 or 129 with halo packed in one week before Thanksgiving. :D

I doubt we'll see anything outside of the currently announced bundle.. the Top Spin/NCAA 2005 one is a decent bundle at $150, i think it will do well.. no?

MrparisSM said:
I work at Best Buy part time, and Xbox is sold out as well as PS2s. Now what was your point again?

There's a difference between a store selling out of a console and a store not being able to get anymore of a console because Sony doesn't have anymore units to ship out.

MrparisSM

Banned
Vagabond said:
Can someone name some big releases in the month of October?

Dead Or Alive Ultimate. :D Can't wait to kick some ass with Kasumi on LIVE! Mortal Kombat was releast this month aswell right?? Should be pretty interesting.

Odysseus

Banned
Vagabond said:
Can someone name some big releases in the month of October?

GTA is still set for this month, right? I'm not a fan, so I would not know if it has been delayed. Other than that... um..

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Katamari bombzored... :((( When exactly was it released?

I remember Xbox getting somewhat close to PS2 numbers last year then ended up getting 3rd in sales for november and december :/
To tell the truth, Xbox was not even close to PS2 any time during 2003. It usually was selling around 2x - 2.5x less than PS2 (I have numbers in front of me) During October, November and December 2003, Xbox actually gained some ground, and was selling ~1.8x less. I don't know how relevant those numbers really are though, considering the apparent past low shipments of PS2, and the new PSTwo, and the unknown variable of it's future marketing (and appeal).

GhaleonEB

Insertia said:

XBox has outsold the PS2 two months in a row now. Call it what you want, but I call it momentum, and it will hit breakneck speed on November 9th.

year over year change:

Code:
             PS2	     Xbox	    GC
January	-33%	15%	38%
February-35%	3%	-21%
March	-39%	17%	-1%
April	-40%	57%	-5%
May	-14%	43%	-8%
June	-3%	36%	-14%
July	-1%	32%	-69%
August	-37%	33%	8%
September-32%	35%	-44%

MrparisSM

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
There's a difference between a store selling out of a console and a store not being able to get anymore of a console because Sony doesn't have anymore units to ship out.

Ok, the PS2 sold out with over 200k sold for September because that's all they could ship out. The Xbox is sold out aswell with over 200k sold for the month of September for the exact same reason. Like I said before, what is your point?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Datawhore said:
PS2 KATAMARI DAMACY $377,404 19,114
Damn. I was hoping it hit at least 20k. So very close.

Katamari bombzored... :((( When exactly was it released?
The 21st. Given the short initial supply and how late in the month it was, I wouldn't be surprised if it put up similar numbers in the October numbers.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonEB said:
XBox has outsold the PS2 two months in a row now. Call it what you want, but I call it momentum, and it will hit breakneck speed on November 9th.

year over year change:

Code:
             PS2	     Xbox	    GC
January	-33%	15%	38%
February-35%	3%	-21%
March	-39%	17%	-1%
April	-40%	57%	-5%
May	-14%	43%	-8%
June	-3%	36%	-14%
July	-1%	32%	-69%
August	-37%	33%	8%
September-32%	35%	-44%

Keep telling yourself that. Halo 2 will be a great title, and xbox is going to do extremely well this year. it simply won't outsell ps2 with new hardware, mgs3, gt4, GTA:SA etc. this winter. all sony has to do is ship enough hardware really. Nintendo is going to sell a fair amount of consoles, but they are not looking at the beefy christmas that MS and Sony are IMO.

Drinky Crow said:
Can we officially declare the Cube dead and its fans LOSERS now?

Yes and No... its just selling enough to not be dead, but not selling enough to be in the battle here at all... its at the cusp of loserdom.

Razoric

Banned
Interesting trend here...

XBX $39,379,728 265,067
PS2 $38,046,609 253,295

2 XBX FABLE $29,948,580 604,084

5 XBX SW: BATTLEFRONT $13,395,470 275,186
6 PS2 SW: BATTLEFRONT $12,949,310 267,465

14 XBX BURNOUT 3: TAKEDOWN $6,164,830 124,327
PS2 Burnout somewhere below. haha

Xbox Live? Better graphics? Go Xbox! :D

Drinky Crow said:
No. Metroid Prime 2 will sell millions of Gamecube Nintendo's in November/December and will leave Xbox into a distant third position. Even a chimp knows that.

jedimike

Drinky Crow said:

But then the forums would be boring as hell without the Nfans to argue with. Since their just kids anyway, let's just make believe that all is well in Nintendo Land... you know, like Tooth Fairies, Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, etc. For the love of GAF.... we need Nintendo Fans.

Odysseus

Banned
Drinky Crow said:

GameCube is almost where it was last year at this time. But there's no price drop to spur sales like last year, so you should see the year over year percentage decline greatly over the last three months. September was down over 30%, carrying that forward, you will see GameCube do 1.5 million consoles for the rest of the year, versus last years 2.17 million.

MrparisSM said:
Ok, the PS2 sold out with over 200k sold for September because that's all they could ship out. The Xbox is sold out aswell with over 200k sold for the month of September for the exact same reason. Like I said before, what is your point?

Where's the industry reports of this Xbox shortage? There have been reports of the PS2 shortage since August due to Sony wanting to get rid of the rest of their old PS2 stock. Several stores haven't had PS2's since then.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Project Midway said:
No. Metroid Prime 2 will sell millions of Gamecube Nintendo's in November/December and will leave Xbox into a distant third position. Even a chimp knows that.
:lol. Ned Flanders is that you :lol

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
jedimike said:
But then the forums would be boring as hell without the Nfans to argue with. Since their just kids anyway, let's just make believe that all is well in Nintendo Land... you know, like Tooth Fairies, Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, etc. For the love of GAF.... we need Nintendo Fans.

This is the TRUTH.

Top Bottom