• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sept NPD

Mrbob said:
Yeah but it is hilarious the rallying cry he brought to the Nfaithful. Reggie-lution???!? :lol Now they have had their heads smashed in again.

He's rallied the Nintendo failtful online, which doesn't do much good since they already own a GC. He's doing nothing for the majority of people who don't own the system. PR guys are nice, but having an actual good marketing team is a much better way to get the word out on a system.

Mrbob

I think Reggie is a MS or Sony spy sent in to get the hopes up of the Nfaithful just to see everything crumble right before their very eyes, thus increasing their pain and suffering.

Barnimal

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
So you think the PS2's big games are going to flop then since they're sequels to sequels? That's what your post seem to suggest. I don't see how a game that's previous version ended up selling 4million within a span of 2 months is going to suddenly flop. Even the Double Pack for the PS2 and Xbox sold extremely well.

i never said they were going to flop. i was just implying that with what, 5 or 6 major IPs, all sequels on ps2 vs halo 2, halo 2 will just seem like the "fresher" title. not to mention that theres no other real competition from other games on the xbox where on the ps2 all of the major titles will be fighting for the dollar. Think of what happend to ubisoft last year. they were all new games but there was just too much competition from everything else.

MrparisSM

Banned
BILL CLINTON said:
RE4 will do better than pikmin, but its just not a heavyweight title anymore...

The only reason it's not a Heavyweight anymore is because of the platform it's on. A game like RE4 would EASILY top 2 to 3 million on the PS2 in the U.S. and maybe the Xbox.... Oh well....

deadlifter said:
One could say that they prefer to play their games on the go compared to sitting at home. It's just how you look at it.

30.jpg

(i was looking for the part where he is the fat lady in total recall, and was going to post "TWO WEEKS" to get across my confusion.. but couldnt find that pic, so this one will have to do.)

MrparisSM

Banned
Mashing said:
Nintendo needs to take everyone responsible for the Gamecube and drop them in a 100' hole and bury them alive with xbox's. Pathetic showing for the GC.

And bury whoever decided to spend all this marketing money on "Pikmin 2" of all titles in a attempt to entice the mainstream along with them. Pikmin 2 is a niche title if I ever saw one, that marketing money could have been better spent else where....

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
MrparisSM said:
The only reason it's not a Heavyweight anymore is because of the platform it's on. A game like RE4 would EASILY top 2 to 3 million on the PS2 in the U.S. and maybe the Xbox.... Oh well....

OH NO it's not going to sell 2 million copies!

This shouldn't matter, the GC is $99 there is no excuse to not buy it. Unless you're supporting Drinky Crow's One Console Dream (TM)

Alcibiades

Musashi Wins! said:
lol. Remember that thread about September being Nintendo's month? With Pikmin 2 anticipation? EFRAOWNED. PICKBOMBED.

This is no shocker outside the confines of this forum. The GC is a fairly boring console in a crowded market.

Kinda shocked that the Xbox beat the PS2 again. I wonder if it can withstand the new model and GTA?
uh, are we looking at the same numbers?

PS2 and XBox got absolutely slaughtered by the GBA, and a single Pokemon SKU made it as the #1 title, very impressive considering the split nature of the release... (even I expected FiLe to individually come in a #2/3 below Fable, those Pokemon FireRed numbers are astonishing...

OK, so Pikmin 2 sales were disappointing, but other than that, Nintendo held steady with their GCN sales, and Donkey Konga did great business for such a "niche" title (includes less than a week of sales).

Nintendo has upwards of 50% hardware marketshare, just as expected for such a fantastic month for them...

Meier

MrparisSM said:

Lmao, please. The genre its in is utterly dead in America and has been for years. It'd sell better on the PS2 to be sure, but 2 to 3 million is laughable.

Subitai

deadlifter said:
I highly doubt that. GCN owners just haven't gotten behind them in the past. I have trouble seeing it do more than 350k in the first month unless Nintendo and Capcom are hyping to no end next year or unless it's rated T.

Mrbob

efralope said:

PS2 and XBox got absolutely slaughtered by the GBA, and a single Pokemon SKU made it as the #1 title, very impressive considering the split nature of the release... (even I expected FiLe to individually come in a #2/3 below Fable, those Pokemon FireRed numbers are astonishing...

OK, so Pikmin 2 sales were disappointing, but other than that, Nintendo held steady with their GCN sales, and Donkey Konga did great business for such a "niche" title (includes less than a week of sales).

Nintendo has upwards of 50% hardware marketshare, just as expected for such a fantastic month for them...

Proof positive that Nintendo needs to dump their console business and go 3rd party while focusing on handhelds. Well, maybe not for long as they'll be forced to develop for the PSP soon.

cvxfreak

Mrbob said:
Proof positive that Nintendo needs to dump their console business and go 3rd party while focusing on handhelds. Well, maybe not for long as they'll be forced to develop for the PSP soon.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Mrbob said:

No, the GBA did great, and I knew Pokemon would be a monster. It proves that with it's nostalgic play format though, that Nintendo is better off keeping with their focus..the past. But the highlight of that older thread were the hilarious Pikmin anticipation sales speculation.

Subitai

Mrbob said:
Yeah, all it will take is some exclusive mature game, like say GTA, on PSP to turn things around pretty quick.

cvxfreak

Ain't it funny how MrBob says Nintendo'll need to develop for PSP, when a bunch of Pokemon remakes sold a million combined?

Mrbob

CVXFREAK said:
Ain't it funny how MrBob says Nintendo'll need to develop for PSP, when a bunch of Pokemon remakes sold a million combined?

With no other handheld competition. I'm thinking long term, like 2-3 years down the road.

cvxfreak

Mrbob said:
With no other handheld competition. I'm thinking long term, like 2-3 years down the road.

3 years down the road, those Pokemon remakes will probably sell around 35K per month.

And we've got Diamond and Pearl on DS, which should ensure Nintendo success for the DS.

Barnimal said:
i never said they were going to flop. i was just implying that with what, 5 or 6 major IPs, all sequels on ps2 vs halo 2, halo 2 will just seem like the "fresher" title. not to mention that theres no other real competition from other games on the xbox where on the ps2 all of the major titles will be fighting for the dollar. Think of what happend to ubisoft last year. they were all new games but there was just too much competition from everything else.

UBI's game were hurt more by the lack of advertising and the lack of brand name. All 3 of the PS2's big titles have big brand names and are going to have big marketing campaigns (GT4's has started 2 months in advance of its release and GTASA already has ads going).

"The $80 GBA outsells $150 consoles. Very impressive."

Gotta cut him a break, he's gotta figure out some way to spin these charts into Nintendo's favor.

MrparisSM

Banned
Meier said:
Lmao, please. The genre its in is utterly dead in America and has been for years. It'd sell better on the PS2 to be sure, but 2 to 3 million is laughable.

You obviously haven't seen how good RE4 looks. :D

efralope said:

err newsflash, the GBA isnt a console. No one in their right mind would want a GBA over a console.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Kanbee-san said:
err newsflash, the GBA isnt a console. No one in their right mind would want a GBA over a console.

The juniors are on a roll tonight.

Where is jarrod?

:lol

Alcibiades

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
It sold more than PS2 and Xbox combined actually, and made more money than either did individually.
and when some consumers are looking for stuff like Pokemon, they aren't going to pay $70 more for a console that doesn't have those games...

The XBox costs more, but gives you a hard drive and built-in modem, and still more consumers chose the GBA...

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Kanbee-san said:
I guess I'm insane then.

mosaic

go eat paint
I actually prefer GBA to consoles.... and play it twice as much... and am pretty saddened to see Nintendo cutting back on it in favor of the DS, which to me, seems like some kneejerk reaction to Sony's oft-delayed PSP.

For me, Katamari Damacy was the only good console game to come out last month; perhaps in many months. And of course, I bet most of y'all posting to this thread haven't played or bought it. A shame. A damn shame.

snapty00

Banned
Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but shouldn't the very fact that Game Boy gets mentioned when GameCube gets slammed point to a huge problem? :\

cvxfreak

I personally like my GBASP equal to the GC and PS2. Xbox is somewhere behind there, since I take little interest in the console's offerings, such as Halo 2 and Fable.

In my opinion portable gaming is a disgrace to the word "video games". I must re-iterate, no one in their right mind would want a GBA over a console.

I personally like my GBASP equal to the GC and PS2. Xbox is somewhere behind there, since I take little interest in the console's offerings, such as Halo 2 and Fable.

I am not knocking your opinion, but you just sound like a nintendo fanboy. I cant see how playing pixelated, crippled portable games could compete with the likes of online, 3d rendered, 5.1 chanel imersive console games.

Chi-Town

efralope said:
and when some consumers are looking for stuff like Pokemon, they aren't going to pay $70 more for a console that doesn't have those games...

And evidently consumers aren't willing to pay $20 more for a console that does have some Pokemon titles on it.

Alcibiades

Kanbee-san said:
lmao, even some Nintendo fans will cede they'd rather go with the mighty GBA...

Metroid 2d seals it for some people, but maybe Advance Wars, the extensive 16-bit throwback RPG titles available, etc...

I know people my age that play more GBA (handheld console) than home consoles, even with GCN's/XBox's/PS2's in the room...

Advance Wars 2 multiplayer can be more addicting than Smash Brothers and Halo...

neptunes

Though I've played some interesting titles on my GBA (advanced wars, wario ware)

I would never choose my GBA over a console.

cvxfreak

Chi-Town said:
And evidently consumers aren't willing to pay $20 more for a console that does have some Pokemon titles on it.

Colosseum was a nice attempt, but it would take something akin to Pokemon Sun Gold and Moon Silver on the GC, real Pokemon RPGs, to make a dent in GC sales at this point.

snapty00 said:
Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but shouldn't the very fact that Game Boy gets mentioned when GameCube gets slammed point to a huge problem? :\

It's definetly a huge problem. The whole GC situation is being handeled terribly. They're getting absolutely slaughtered on a month to month basis and they can't turn it around no matter what they do. This is a console that they original expected to hit 50 million units by March of next year and it hasn't even hit the halfway point yet.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Kanbee-san said:
In my opinion portable gaming is a disgrace to the word "video games". I must re-iterate, no one in their right mind would want a GBA over a console.

There are people that prefer the GBA over consoles. One of the most informed posters on this gaming board does, in fact. So you are wrong there. We understand you don't like the GBA, that's fucking great.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Kanbee-san said:
Shit man, Hitler made more compelling arguments than you do.

Alcibiades

Chi-Town said:
Pokemon RuSa/FiLe are full-length RPG's with full interactivity and trading with other trainers/players, the Pokemon's on GCN are either a children's interactive game or an RPG/extension-of-GBA-in-3d-battle title...

Top Bottom