• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serious PC problem. >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronok

I just put together my new PC and something kind of unexpected happened...

These are the components, but, I doubt it matters.....

BFG GeForce 7900 GS OC 256MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)
2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB ST3250620AS SATA-II 16MB Cache
Antec Solo Quiet Mini Tower Case
Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB)
Intel Extreme D975XBX2KR BAD AXE 2 975X (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
Corsair HX 520W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU
Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2 Dominator PC2-6400C4 TwinX (2x1GB)

Basically I just decided to boot up my PC for the first time and I went to the bios and decided to check on my hardware.. That's when I realised my CPU was apparently at 72*C at boot... So I quickly opened my case and the fan was fine.. This left me puzzled.. Why would it be so hot?

Then suddenly the screen went white and had a burning in effect... :-/

I switched off the machine as quickly as I could and left it a few mins.... I turned it back on a second ago and the cpu is the same, but, not burning in effect it just froze so I turned it off again..

Does anyone have any idea what it is?

Ronok

On a stock intel CPU fan you don't need to. :-/ Or have I just been really retarded assuming things I shouldn't?

Darobga

Could be one of many things, - Check all of this.

1) Heatsink is flat against the heatspreader on the CPU
2) You don't have too much thermal paste on the sink.
3) CPU is running the correct speed and not being overclocked
4) VCore is at the correct voltage

EDIT: if you are using the stock intel heatsink its very easy to get an uneven placement and not get full contact, Make sure to push in opposite corners of the heatsink so it sits evenly when placing it on the CPU.

Lack of thermal paste should not cause temps that high if the heatsink is still properly seated.

Nicodimas

Banned
Whats really funny is when you notice your computer being 80C + open it up and notice the CPU fan is .not running. So then you ask your buddy to touch the cpu and see if its hot..

It was. And still hates me for it!

Ronok

Ok I just attempted to push down the plug type things that hold the fan in place and the opposite corner came out.... After that just just decided to take it off completely....... Only problem now is for some reason I can't get the wire away from the mb to save my life.... It's really strange.... I've never had a problem with something like this before.

Also only half of the thermal material was disturbed in any way so I'm guessing it wasn't seated properly afterall. >.<

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Ronok said:
Ok I just attempted to push down the plug type things that hold the fan in place and the opposite corner came out.... After that just just decided to take it off completely....... Only problem now is for some reason I can't get the wire away from the mb to save my life.... It's really strange.... I've never had a problem with something like this before.

Also only half of the thermal material was disturbed in any way so I'm guessing it wasn't seated properly afterall. >.<

PC connections can be a pain in the ass, just be patient and rock the connection back and forth. It will eventually come out.

Ronok

It never did come out. lol

I replaced the thermal compound now and I'm still having problems but the cpu is significantly cooler (52*C compared to 70*C) the problem now is it still locks up and the fan isn't spinning as fast as it was when it's left to the motherboard.... Maybe I damaged it when trying to get out the stupid wire. >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom