• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shelley Duvall has passed away

ManaByte

Gold Member
Striking looking Woman.
Rip.
OIP.yrEAnQ-SO00ikQm5yL0oSgHaJw

ManaByte

Gold Member
Olive Oyl was a great part for her. Then she disappeared for what seemed like years.
I heard she was in some recent things. I will check them out.

She went into hiding in the Southwest and had a small group of fans helping helping keep her secret. A magazine tracked her down a couple of years ago to find out what happened to her.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Wow, knew her face, never the name. Shame her career didn’t blossom after such a legendary role. Like Edward Furlong in T2

Rest in peace

Last edited:
She also played Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohaim in the completely forgotten (and underrated) Sci-Fi Channel adaptation of Dune.

RIP Ms. Long, you were a singular talent.

Doczu

Well, may God have her finally rest, cause she really had mental problems which did affect how her life and career went. Not saying she fucked up, cause she did live a peacefull, happy life away from cameras and fans.

Oh and she is a pretty one. Has that summer of 69 woodstock vibes, where you went camping with a group of friends and you met her group and had a few beers around a campfire and she just asks if you wanna drop acid with her giving you the night of your life.

Fuck those saying she was kinda iffy.

tommib

Gold Member
Not knowing much, I get the feeling she was a free spirit, which explains living a simple life away from Hollywood and the media in her twilight.

And yes, Kubrick is arguably the best director the world has seen but if you watch any documentary about the making of the shinning, he was treating her like shit through the whole shooting. It absolutely worked in getting one of the best horror performances ever.

She was excellent in Nashville.

Keith_Carradine_and_Shelley_Duvall_%E2%80%93_Nashville.jpg

wondermega

Popeye is such a surreal movie. It is like the cartoon characters came to life.
I was really young when it came out, probably rented it as a little kid a few years after (or watched it on a TV broadcast probably, come to think of it - YES THIS WAS A WAY WE USED TO WATCH MOVIE, KIDS!). I don't recall much other than not liking it at all (and I watched a fair amount of Popeye cartoons in those pre-Transformers early 1980s!) I've avoided it because of the memory but I am kind of interested to give it a fresh look as an old man. Is this watchable in 2024?

GladiusFrog

I was really young when it came out, probably rented it as a little kid a few years after (or watched it on a TV broadcast probably, come to think of it - YES THIS WAS A WAY WE USED TO WATCH MOVIE, KIDS!). I don't recall much other than not liking it at all (and I watched a fair amount of Popeye cartoons in those pre-Transformers early 1980s!) I've avoided it because of the memory but I am kind of interested to give it a fresh look as an old man. Is this watchable in 2024?
I didn't discover this movie until 2019, I thought it was a fun movie with catchy tunes and Shelley was incredible.

Also I live in a old fishing village that has the same vibes as Sweethaven. So I'm biased. 🐸

Last edited:

kunonabi

Like as far as the actual script goes it's a bit of a mess but the atmosphere and performances are easy to just get lost in especially Duvall and Williams even if the latter wasnt really allowed to cut loose. The two of them still have this great chemistry that's kind of just fun to watch. It's kind of why it was so perfect for lazy afternoon TV viewing back in the day.

Top Bottom