• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shelter |OT| But there were five of them...

Vert boil

logoagspu.jpg

81qgs0r.png
Announce trailer || Early gameplay footage || Development Diary || Giantbomb preview || Release trailer

2009kskk.png
488ms80.png
Shelterthegame.com || Steam
1002tsk6.png
47lgsgp.png
(DRM-free versions and a steam code) ||

Developer: Might and Delight
Publisher: Self published
Release Date: August 28th
Formats: PC (Win and Mac)
Price: 10$

Experience the wild as a mother badger sheltering her cubs from harm. On their journey they get stalked by a bird of prey, encounter perils of the night, river rapids crossings, big forest fires and the looming threat of death by starvation.

Food is to be found, but is there enough for everyone? You will learn that the cubs need food not just to survive, but to enable them overcome the varying challenges they will face as they make their way through the world.

Are you ready for a truly different adventure, something that might evoke feelings you've never felt in a game before? In the wild, all living creatures are put to the test. The question in the end is who will survive to live another day?

Retro Family have once again composed a beautiful soundtrack to an original and graphically innovative setting in a world of nature where shelter is your only hope and survival your only goal.

Shelter is a short adventure/survival game from the team behind Pid, Might and Delight. One of the companies that was founded my former GRIN devs. You play the role of a female badger that has to feed and guide her cubs through a dangerous world. It isn't a open world game, you roam through differently styled levels as you progress through the game. Shelter comes to steam via a successful greenlight campaign.

family8usac.jpg

Hunt
You need to hunt as well as scavenge to feed you cubs. An apple knocked from a tree will only feed one of your cubs. You will need to chase down small animals and stalk larger creatures to find enough food for your cubs. Your cubs grow as they are feed but there is a constant need for more food. If you don't hunt, your cubs will die from starvation.

Survive
You won't only have to save your cubs from starvation. Whether environmental or carnivorous, danger lurks throughout the world. You need to find safe routes to guide your cubs through dangerous environments and shepherd your cubs through cover to protect them from predators that will try to snatch them.

Controls
  • WASD will move the mother and the camera is controlled by the mouse.
  • LMB is the action button. Pick up/pounce/bark etc.
  • Shift for sprinting.
Your cubs will automatically follow you.

Customisable controls and controller support has been patched

Length?
About ninety minutes to two hours to complete a run through. If you would want to complete a run though without loosing any of you cubs, multiple playthroughs might be needed.

81qgs0r.png
Announce trailer || Early gameplay footage || Development Diary || Giantbomb preview || Release trailer

Additional Info,
System Specs

Reviews,

Capsule Computers: 6/10
Critical Indie Gamer: 8/10
Dealspwn: 8/10
Edge: 7/10
Gert Lush Gaming
HardcoreGamer: 4/5
Joystiq: 2/5
Rock paper shotgun

Vert boil

;( only four of my babies survived.

I missed it in the GB preview but
when your cubs hear the twigs break for the first time in the dark... bloomin' 'eck.

The game really kicks in once you reach top of the river and there is nothing you can do to protect your cubs. Either they are strong enough to survive or they are lost. This is the spot where I lost my cub. Still bummed out about it.

It's similar to Brothers in that you always progressing and doing something different but it fells more like an appetiser compared to Brothers main course. It's a beautiful game, there were quite a few moments when I was back tracking to find some food and I noticed a lovely background that I had completely missed.

yarden24

is it actually grammatically correct that the title says: there was five of them, instead of there were five of them?

Crispy75

is it actually grammatically correct that the title says: there was five of them, instead of there were five of them?

Should be "were"

This looks interesting. There haven't been many (any?) games with this sort of setting that I can think of - realistic animal protagonist in a realistic setting. Might take a punt on it, if only so I've got something non-violent to play with my wife in the room :-D (been playing the dishonored DLC as Stabby McStabson recently).

Here's some GIFs I had made for this game a while back in case anyone was interested:
Take that, FOX Engine!
iNDKc9CAlzAYr.gif

Badger badger badger (at night)
iDsOswG5uORbV.gif

Eagles like badgers
ihZM87n1VzId1.gif

Weird that there is no controller support, hope the developers patch that in at a later date. Now time to actually play this, make some screenshots and gifs.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
How's the world/exploration? I mean, I'm not expecting too much, but I won't mind if it's really interestingly designed. I think there was a part Patrick Klepek showed near a river that looked real pretty, visually.

How's the world/exploration? I mean, I'm not expecting too much, but I won't mind if it's really interestingly designed. I think there was a part Patrick Klepek showed near a river that looked real pretty, visually.

There's very little exploration; it's pretty straight forward. But the world is beautiful and I often stopped to admire it.

brandnew

It took me an hour and a half.

Really enjoyed the game and it's going to end up being one of my top games of 2013.

Sounds good to me. I've been liking short games lately. 1-3 sittings is great for avoiding padding and saving time. Price seems right with this one too.

Afro

Short and sweet. Can't wait to see what the Might & Delight team brings us next. Tons of potential here. Great little message in the post-credits scene too. Still wouldn't go as far as putting this in the same league as Journey, though.

edit: I couldn't seem to hold 60FPS with my 660ti no matter what I did. Hmm.

Vert boil

heh,

♪ You woke up this morning ♪
♪ Got yourself a gun, ♪
♪ Mama always said you'd be ♪
♪ The Chosen One. ♪

wouwie

Thanks. Interesting read. Seems Might & Delight had a rough time during the development of Pid (and Shelter). It's a shame Pid wasn't well received by the gaming audience. It has become one of my favourite games of this generation (and i don't consider myself belonging to a "hardcore" audience at all). As a reaction to Pid, Shelter turned out to be something completely different for a wider (more casual) audience. I'm wondering if they really reached that wider audience though, especially since the game is released for pc only?

In any case, i don't have a decent pc anymore which means i'll probably never play Shelter but i hope Might & Delight will continue to exist.

Vert boil

Really lttp on this but I finally got round to the Nurture mode they added before xmas.

Basically your cubs stay in the sett and you go out to find food then you bring it back to them. Over the course of thirty days you take care of them until they are fully grown.

Pretty short and sweet so far. Not sure if I'll keep it up for a month but I'm going to give it a try.

Web page, Trailer

Top Bottom