• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shocker! The Geno character from Mario RPG is owned by SquareEnix!

This probably has been discussed in the past but I've just finished Mario & Luigi for the GBA (excellent BTW) and as I was watching the credits I noticed that at the end it said:

"All rights, including the copyrights of game, scenario, music and program, reserved by Nintendo. Regardless of the above-mentioned, the copyright of character Geno reserved by SquareEnix Co. Ltd"

I can only assume that the other non-Nintendo characters like Mallow, Frogfucius, Booster, etc. (and obviously Culex) are also owned by SquareEnix. No wonder why Nintendo hasn't and probably won't port Super Mario RPG. :(

White Man said:
Refresh my memory: Where is Geno in Mario & Luigi.

PS. Booster rules.

He's the doll that explains you how to play a mini-game at the Arcade in FungiTown (when you win you get the InvisiMushroom that makes Mario sick).

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I alwayswondered if Wario and Booster were mysteriously related somehow. =)

Geno's cameo was great, btw. Nice little suprise.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yikes, this thread subject reads like a horrible tabloid newsbite...

That's a freakin' year too late! :-D

Edit - The Geno cameo rocked, that's true. And additionally, it didn't hurt that the mini game he shows up in is so freaking fun and awesome.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Kobun Heat said:
Welcome to last year
Yeah, I could have sworn this was already discussed on these boards.

It is a pity, as I would have loved to see Mallow, Booster, and Geno play a role in future Mario games. I saw that during the end credits too and it was like a veil was lifted from before my eyes and everything made sense.

Geno needs his own GBA Nintendo/Square Enix game now with a playable Booster

Geno was a party member in Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars for SNES, the first of the wonderful Mario RPGs including the Paper Marios and MArio & Luigi.

He was a puppet animated by a spirit. He could use powerful star and beam attacks and had an arm that could transform into guns.

Operations said:
I can only assume that the other non-Nintendo characters like Mallow, Frogfucius, Booster, etc. (and obviously Culex) are also owned by SquareEnix. No wonder why Nintendo hasn't and probably won't port Super Mario RPG. :(
Probably. I'd been wondering the same thing, as to whether it was that Nintendo couldn't use the characters, or they were just choosing not to. I wonder why you say "obviously Culex", though. I mean, not like the fact that he's presented in an FF-esque style would make Square having his rights more obvious, nor is the popular old rumor of him being in FF IV accurate.

Top Bottom