• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I bother getting the original?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
What do you guys (who have played these games) think, these are games I passed up for awhile but still wanted. Now they have sequels out or on the way, should I get them anyway? Feel free to use this thread to ask the same thing if you are debating whether or not to get something for this reason.

Maximo
Viewtiful Joe
Pikmin
Animal Crossing
Super Monkey Ball

bobbyconover said:
yes yes yes yes yes

though if you're weaksauce, Maximo will rock your ass!
I didn't like the continue/save/whatever system in Maximo. Having to be supercareful kind of hurt the fun. I hear Maximo 2 is better in this regard.

Kobun Heat said:
I didn't like the continue/save/whatever system in Maximo. Having to be supercareful kind of hurt the fun. I hear Maximo 2 is better in this regard.

I think that's how most people felt, but I actually liked being forced to be careful and to actually get really good at the game. It reminded me of the old GnGs in that way. Though it was a bit extreme and definitely could've been improved - the blind jumps were a bit much - I really liked not being able to just cruise through a platform game for once. Besides, slightly unfair difficulty may seem lame, but it's part of what made some of my favorite classic games so memorable and, in a sort of cruel way, fun. I really enjoyed the return to it!

Dice said:
Talking about the games helps me more.

Maximo is startlingly difficult, which for me anyway made it less fun than it really should have been. I tried to play it, but never got past the second world. Of course, the fact that the save system was not actually explained within the game OR the instructions really kind of pissed me off.

Viewtiful Joe is also pretty much assrapingly hard, but in this case it's still a lot of fun. I got to like level three after a whole lot of work, and I think it got too hard for me. Also I think some other major game came out and I got distracted. Fun though.

Pikmin is simply worth buying, no question. Isn't it like... twenty bucks? Grab it, and when you realize how much you love it, you'll be primed for the sequel next month.

Animal Crossing is an experience worth having. And we really have no clue when the DS version will be out, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

In some ways, Super Monkey Ball is superior to its sequel. Both are worth having around for parties. The party games in the multiplayer mode are different in each.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yes
Yes
I don't know
Yes
No

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Maximo - I guess, not missing much. The sequel really improves on the formula in every possible way.
Viewtiful Joe - Well since 2 isn't out this game is worth your time and money.
Pikmin - Possibly, the limited amount of time to complete the game might put you off, an issue the sequel rectifies.
Animal Crossing - Most definitely but don't expect to be hooked on this game beyond a few months. It's actually quite demanding.
Super Monkey Ball - The original game features a better singeplayer mode (difficulty is based on skill rather than insane luck) but the sequel features better multiplayer. Since the two games singleplayer modes have different puzzles both are an excellent compliment to each other.

Kobun Heat said:
I'm amazed your dominatrix allows you to play videogames at all.

OK I've been trying to figure this out for a while now and I still don't get it. I'm a failure! Please clue me in? :(

Never mind, got it - it's cause I like painful stuff. Like Maximo. Duh!

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
i never understood why maximo was so hard. i'm terrible at old-school games and i blew through maximo without breaking a sweat.

I didn't notice the save points in Maximo until the second world. After that, any time I died, I would simply reset from the last save. Playing level by level may have meant it took longer, but I never lost any items and it was ultimately easier.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
yes
yes
yes
only if you're deeply susceptible to "miyamoto magic," cos there's no actual game there
yes

Top Bottom