• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I get a Fury X or 980ti for VR and HDTV play ?

Dr. Kaos

Banned
It's been almost 10 years since I last built myself a gaming PC. Go ahead and laugh:

p51pgSD.png

I finally want one for VR games. I'm going to build it this summer, as soon as Skylake CPUs/Mobos become available.

My budget is around $2k max for the tower. I'll probably get a skylake Asus or other motherboard with good onboard sound, an i7 6700, 32GB DDR3 (since DDR4 @#$%ing sucks) if the mobo and skylake let me, and a quiet ATX or mini ATX case. 1tb M.2 SSD ought to get me started painlessly.

I'm planning on using this to play the best versions of multi-plat games in 1080p/60fps/ultra on my 1080P HDTV, and most importantly, for VR gaming (Rift, Vive).

mini-ITX mobo would be ideal if it supports 32GB of ram and PSU capable of powering a 300w GPU.

For the purpose of this thread, let's assume that 980ti and the FuryX trade blows in 1080p resolution. What would GAF advise me?

Should I go mini ATX without or with SLI support?
Should I go ATX instead?
And should I get a Fury X or a 980ti.

I will not be using g-sync/freesync so please take that into account .
I'm also not buying a 4K tv until 2017-2018, at which point I'll build a new machine.

dr_rus

You should buy whatever suit your needs best.

Now there isn't any benchmarks of Fury you should trust so the question is somewhat premature. Wait till 24th.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Do you plan on purchasing a 4K TV and also connecting it to the PC?

No 4K tv, only 1080p for the next 24 months. I'll upgrade my TV and computer then (DualGPU with 16GB HBM2 probably).

We need more info on the Fury I think before most people can give you a real answer.

Wait for more info about the Fury X, We don't have any information about things like frametimes (which AMD has had problems with in the past).

Wait til there are more benches available for the FuryX and then make a follow up post in the Build a PC thread.

I said "For the purpose of this thread, let's assume that 980ti and the FuryX trade blows in 1080p resolution. ". I am not going to care about a marginal difference in performance between the two, and that's definitely all that we're getting.

Wait for more info about the Fury X. I think only info about the card's performance is the AMD's official FPS benchmarks that were released, and they look good, but we don't have any information about things like frametimes (which AMD has had problems with in the past).

Wait til there are more benches available for the FuryX and then make a follow up post in the Build a PC thread.

It depends mainly on your gaming priorities and desires. HDTV play requires an HDMI for example.

Heres the thing, just wait. We dont actually know what these headsets are gonna need to get the performance required and we dont know what the new cpu/mobos are gonna be really capable of until they arrive as well. No sense in speculating on stuff that people have no idea of.

Also something people are "overlooking" is the graphics card is only gonna be as good as the game/drivers are and stuff is gonna progress so no matter what you buy, if you still have your occulus in 3 years, you may need a new graphics card all over again to keep up with the games.

dr_rus

I said "For the purpose of this thread, let's assume that 980ti and the FuryX trade blows in 1080p resolution. " so no, we don't need more info :)

If they'll end up being all but equal in relevant features and performance you may go with either.

No 4K tv, only 1080p for the next 24 months. I'll upgrade my TV and computer then (DualGPU with 16GB HBM2 probably).

I said "For the purpose of this thread, let's assume that 980ti and the FuryX trade blows in 1080p resolution. " so no, we don't need more info :)

If they trade blows, then AMD has cost advantage vs nvidia which has hairworks/phyx/etc optimization.

A lot of people seem to prefer nvidia drivers, but I didn't see a huge advantage unless you are running dual gpu (sli profiles on day 1).

viveks86

It depends mainly on your gaming priorities and desires. HDTV play requires an HDMI for example.

Yeah it's still blowing my mind that this was omitted. What the hell were they thinking? Everything else about the card sounds great.

Are there display port to HDMI adapters out there?

Edit: Seems like there are a lot of cheap adapters out there. So I guess that's a non-issue, assuming the conversion is lossless.

Corpekata

Banned

So...what's the point exactly? Assuming they're the same power wise, you only have considerations like price and drivers. They cost around the same ballpark so what are you looking for opinions on exactly? The brands in general?

jotun?

If they trade blows, then AMD has cost advantage vs nvidia which has hairworks optimization.

A lot of people seem to prefer nvidia drivers, but I didn't see a huge advantage unless you are running dual gpu (sli profiles on day 1).

Fury X is supposedly $650, same as the 980 Ti

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Heres the thing, just wait.

Well, I am waiting until the Skylake CPUs drop. At that point, why wait? Nothing better than skylake and these 2 GPUs is going to be out in time for the Vive, or even the Rift.

I feel I know all I need to know at this point, there is nothing that can shake things in the next 6 months.

viveks86

As stated in the OP? I will play on a 1080p HDTV, which only requires HDMI 1.3 or whatever, so both cards will be able to feed my TV.

Yeah I guess it should be ok for your current setup, assuming you don't have plans to jump to 4k TV anytime in the near future. I'm also seeing display port adapters online that support HDMI 2.0, so may be it's a non issue.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
So...what's the point exactly? Assuming they're the same power wise, you only have considerations like price and drivers. They cost around the same ballpark so what are you looking for opinions on exactly? The brands in general?

Different power draws, different sizes, different noise levels, different software features.

They are plenty different, just not in frame per seconds in games.

Sinistral

This is just my pure observations leading up to the Vive, but the Liquid VR (AMD) SDK at this point looks to be more mature, exposed and in the industry than Gameworks VR (nVidia). Now how that pans out when the Vive comes out is a different matter.

If you're planning on making this decision for VR, then wait for VR in the fall if you go with the Vive or Spring 2016 for Oculus. Prices will come down, ecosystems will be more developed as well.

IMO. Personally my next card will be for VR as well but I'm looking towards the $550 Fury (regular) mid July as I still like to game on the desktop.

Evo X

980Ti for sure. Nvidia has strong support for VR, and the game works features in Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight are cool bonuses.

baphomet

No, I mean 2 980s. You can grab a GTX 980 for about $450 these days if you are looking around. Subtracting the $350 970 from that build, and adding in 2 GTX 980s will keep him around his $2k budget.

Yea, I realized that after reading the amount he was willing to spend again.

I currently have 2 970s, but I've been considering upgrading to 980s. I only play on a 1080p gsync monitor, so it will entirely come down to how well the Vive/OR perform with my setup.

Corpekata

Banned
which stuff? Please enlighten me.

That seems like a lot of money for a 550w power supply. Do you have a link to it? It's also a pretty lesser know brand which sends up a lot of red flags for power supplies.

Edit: NVM I'm an idiot, that's your old rig.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
3 suggested rift all-in-one builds: $1000, $1500, and $2000

My recommendation would be to use the $1500 build as a base, but instead of grabbing 1 GTX 970, grab two GTX 980s, instead of your plan on one Fury X or one 980ti.

VR SLI will benefit VR immensely.

Thanks, Krej.

Couple questions :

Do you think SLI > crossfire even though LiquidVR is more mature than VRworks?

I think the TI gives a boost in performance of 20% on average over the GTX, while it only costs 18% more and is thus is a great value. Maybe if the 980GTX were $450, I'd be tempted. Think they'll drop to that by August?

I'm worried that the 980GTX will not give me a 1080p@60FPS minimum for multiplat games on ultra settings for the next 2 years.

It's true that the 980GTX has a much lesser powerdraw, so 2 of them will only require 330W instead of 500W. As long as the noise is not an issue, I don't mind the power draw, however.

Top Bottom