• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I install SP2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarishBHR

I just reformatted my pc like a week ago, I have Windows XP Home edition. So whats the verdict, should I install it or not?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Bregor said:
Why wouldn't you?
In case there are any issues with it (that's the reason I've been holding out, too).

I haven't heard anything yet, though, so it's probably fine.

xsarien

daedsiluap
human5892 said:
In case there are any issues with it (that's the reason I've been holding out, too).

I haven't heard anything yet, though, so it's probably fine.

Oh, give it time. With something as major as this, I'm waiting about a month. I'll let other people shake it down.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
We should probably start or change this into an official SP2 thread to gauge the changes people are noticing after installing it. On my gaming machine, it increased the time it took Windows to load noticably and suddenly Doom 3 likes to randomly dumped to the desktop, whereas I played the game for hours on end with no problems under SP2. I installed SP2 after a fresh install of XP SP1 and with the same drivers on my previous configuration. I'm sure SP2 is pretty stable for the most part, but it doesn't seem to presently agree with my machine...

SKluck

Banned
I've been using RC1 and then RC2 since about march. No problems.

So suck it up and download it you pussies.

aoi tsuki

i've had SP1 installed for about a week. i'm behind a PC firewall and i've got a software firewall as well. Also, considering the fact that i've had numerous hardware issues (PC took a hit during a brownout), i've finally got things working almost perfectly. If it ain't broke...

i'll wait and see just what other people's experiences are with it before taking the plunge, which probably won't be until i reinstall everything again six to eight months from now.

SyNapSe

I began by pushing it out to our IT department here at work.. so far no problems. Normally, if there are going to be problems it comes from our department. Especially the developers who have a ton of apps sometimes loaded.

SKluck

Banned
I'm not going to bother trying to convince people. This is the best service pack MS ever made. Deal with Sp1 all you want, Sp2 makes it a lot easier to ignore spyware and shit like that.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Actually, I'd say do it!

Not only has Windows itself been improved, my framerates have improved! My Doom 3 timedemo jumped up a good 4 frames! I have no clue why, to tell you the truth...but I had run a timedemo right before SP2 installation just to ensure that my framerate would remain solid under SP2...

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Can I get a link to do so? I struggled w/ AutoStreamer for like 15 minutes last night and said 'fuck it!'

I began by pushing it out to our IT department here at work.. so far no problems. Normally, if there are going to be problems it comes from our department. Especially the developers who have a ton of apps sometimes loaded.

Woah. Talk about risk taking... You rolled it out already, or did you just do a 'test' machine?

pollo

Banned
yea boss says to wait next month before implementation at our IT dept.
I think thatd be a smart idea =/

SyNapSe

DaCocoBrova said:
Woah. Talk about risk taking... You rolled it out already, or did you just do a 'test' machine?

We're a small company, so its not that many people. We loaded it on 4 people Monday, and it seemed to do great.. outside of small changes that took a bit to figure out. Such as they turned off most of IIS's features by default.

If you want to use FTP, you have to go install it through Add/Remove Programs + Windows Components.

8bit

Knows the Score
clipunderground said:
because the upgrade is an unnecessary 500 megs right now. Whens the smaller home use upgrade hitting?

266Mb for the Network install. It's not that heavy.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
clipunderground said:
because the upgrade is an unnecessary 500 megs right now. Whens the smaller home use upgrade hitting?

The 20th I believe.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
i got an email memo around work saying your ass is grass if you install sp2 on your laptop and any corporate pc. supposedly has issues with legacy apps and trend micro antivirus and its new firewall and our vpn access.

SyNapSe

navanman said:
i got an email memo around work saying your ass is grass if you install sp2 on your laptop and any corporate pc. supposedly has issues with legacy apps and trend micro antivirus and its new firewall and our vpn access.

Yup. A lot of corporations have been complaining like crazy that SP2 is "breaking" their software. MS has been saying fix your shit, you are using shortcuts that aren't secure, and we are finally cutting them off, so deal with it.

At any rate, 90%+ of our PCs are on 2000 Pro. We use the whole suite of Trend Micro products, and it doesn't seem to have interfered with them.. we'll see as time goes on. Also, we dumped our VPN.. we've been using more and more of Citrix, and mobile users pulling email down through 2003's RPC over HTTP.

DJ Sl4m

There's an entire web page (and it's HUGE) listing all the patches and fixes in SP2, I recomend reading the page and see if it fixes any problems you may have been having.

Personally I didn't see a thing that mattered to me which it helped or improved, besides after SP1 slowed my PC down from that shit patch (which MSFT later removed) I'm weary of updating untill later and more info is in, and most of all, when XP starts to run poorly on my PC.

To be honest the only security issues I've ever experienced with XP was with IE, and anyone with half a brain has ditched that by now.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Saturnman said:
Never got around to downloading the SP1 since my last format, can I just install SP2?

It's fuckers like you that fill my inbox with over 100 spam messages a day.

just kidding.

but not really.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Is the SP2 pack what's downloaded and waiting for me to install on my PC? The box doesn't look like the regular install box and it doesn't give you the option of remind later, etc....

SyNapSe

Just thought I'd say, we still haven't had any serious XP SP2 issues, but we don't run a lot of "legacy" apps, as some larger companies would. It definately seems to work with Trend Micro's suite as far as I can tell, they also have an official "We support SP2" up on their website.

I'm not sure who thought Trend's products were a problem, but it doesn't seem to be so.. unless maybe they are running a really old version, but it would be surprising as Trend just quit supporting even mildly old versions due to needing to change their Virus update format.

Amazingly they had no clue they would eventually need 4 digit files, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom