• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 5 coming to next gen

Solid

Hardly a shocker but it's official now.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=56340

The fifth episode of the gruesome Silent Hill series was confirmed today, but is being designed with next generation console hardware in mind.

During an interview to be published later this week, chief designer of the game Masashi Tsuboyama admitted that the title is already being planned for next generation machines, although Konami has yet to decide which one.

Asked if there would be a further Silent Hill game after the release of The Room, out next month on PS2, Xbox and PC, Tsuboyama-san first clarified rumours that it would not be called 'Shadows', but was happy to confirm that there would be ongoing adventures in the series.

"One website said we are creating a fifth [Silent Hill] called Shadows - we don't know where they got their information from; obviously it's not Shadows that we are creating, but we are creating the next one.

"We're not sure which hardware we will put [it out on], but [it will be] on the best one, be it PS3, be it Xbox 2... It won't be on the current consoles," he confirmed.

The news therefore means that The Room will be the last game in the series for some time, with next gen machines not expected to be released until some point in 2006.

Meanwhile, responding to criticism that The Room is too action-focused at the expense of puzzle solving, he retorted: "I don't take that as a negative. That was the concept all along."

Wario64 said:
I wonder if the next one will be all in first person mode

Even though I doubt it, I wouldn't be completely surprised if that were the case.

There was a description of the 5th game not too long ago. It's probably fake although the premise was pretty interesting. The main character was being interrogated by police and was retelling what'd just happened to him.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Thank god, I really didn't want to see Silent Hill 5 this generation.

Solid

SolidSnakex said:
Even though I doubt it, I wouldn't be completely surprised if that were the case.

There was a description of the 5th game not too long ago. It's probably fake although the premise was pretty interesting. The main character was being interrogated by police and was retelling what'd just happened to him.
Wow, that sounds cool. Even if it's fake it still sounds cool :)

human5892

Queen of Denmark
All Nintendo has to do is make the Revolution the most powerful console and Silent Hill 5 will be theirs! GAF EXCLUSIVE!

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Go back to the roots, the first one was the best one. All I ask is that they study it to hell and realize what made it so fantastic and create a sequel on equal footing.

EDIT: Silent Hill 2 didn't compare to the original although I enjoyed it quite a bit. Silent Hill 3 and The Room (played it a few days ago, import) wasn't too much fun if you catch my drift.

jedimike

"We're not sure which hardware we will put [it out on], but [it will be] on the best one, be it PS3, be it Xbox 2... It won't be on the current consoles," he confirmed.

...but what about GC??? Have any developers acknowledged the existence of Revolution? Vapor Ware.

Alias03

TekunoRobby said:
Go back to the roots, the first one was the best one. All I ask is that they study it to hell and realize what made it so fantastic and create a sequel on equal footing.

They did its called Silent Hill 2. Although different still equally fantastic

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
SolidSnakex said:

In the new EGM on the Silent Hill 4 review, they have a little snippet on the first person mode which says:

"Producer Akira Yamaoka says that "The next Silent Hill will probably be entirely from a first-person prespective""

Not sure how an entire Silent Hill game in first person mode would fare

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
TekunoRobby said:

EDIT: Silent Hill 2 didn't compare to the original although I enjoyed it quite a bit. Silent Hill 3 and The Room (played it a few days ago, import) wasn't too much fun if you catch my drift.

Not only did I think SH2 compared to the original, I thought it was vastly superior. SH1 is, so far, my least favorite in the series...even though it was the first one I had played. Silent Hill has such a divided fan base. :p

jarrod

Banned
jedimike said:
...but what about GC??? Have any developers acknowledged the existence of Revolution? Vapor Ware.
Only Nintendo and (somewhat) EA so far... I'm wondering if Revolution might launch last next time?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Thinking about it, if they made a sequel in the vein of the second Silent Hill 2 I wouldn't be bothered. While I prefer the first one over the second, I still really enjoyed it.

Eric-GCA

Banned
They need to go back to the first two indeed. Get the action and the eerie settings of the original and combine it with the storytelling and characterization of the sequel.

Forget the last two games happened as well.

Izzy

Banned
1) I'm glad SH franchise hasn't been discontinued/I was worried after SH3's flop.

2) There were too many SH games this gen.

3) This is a great decision. Save the sequel for the more capable hardware. Doom 3 hints at the survival horror's graphical potential, but SH on the next gen hardware should easily be much more impressive. Can't fucking wait.

Mrbob

Heh, another Silent hill game, like clockwork.

It amazes me how fast these games churn out lately. They aren't:

1) That popular

2) That good

3) Selling very well.

cvxfreak

Wario64 said:
Not sure how an entire Silent Hill game in first person mode would fare

B00004WMVL.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Celicar

Banned
Jeez. They're still making these games? Didn't the last two bomb? Konami is milking this franchise more than Capcom is milking RE it seems.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Code:
ARC	Resident Evil: Survivor 2	
DC	Resident Evil 2	
 	Resident Evil 3: Nemesis	
 	Resident Evil Code: Veronica	
GBC	Resident Evil Gaiden	
GC	Resident Evil	
 	Resident Evil 0	
 	Resident Evil 2	
 	Resident Evil 3: Nemesis