• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Looks like the retail discs for SimCity are only about 2 gigs large. So unless there's still a large download after the fact, shouldn't be too much to download despite the 10 gigs listed on the requirements page.

It decompresses during installation to ~10 Gb, same with digital version.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Welp good thing my GF didn't buy the Windows ver.

So we have gotten 2 different answers. Devs on the official forum claimed that it would carry over. Twitter has twice said it would not. I may end up selling my download code to someone due to this.

pahamrick

It decompresses during installation to ~10 Gb, same with digital version.

I don't know, someone on Reddit who already has the retail disc posted the following image.

e7hTnIv.png

The 20% off voucher? Doesn't work on SimCity on US GMG.

It really depends, honestly. You're getting 3 extra city sets that each have 1 landmark each, new building styles for buildings that are built near the landmark. A French police station + police cars, Double Decker Buses + Station, and a High Speed Train + Station. Judging by the DDE video, the high speed train looks like it can be used as transportation within the city but it's hard to tell from the short glimpse.

Oh, thanks for telling that. Might wait then till it gets cheaper.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I don't know, someone on Reddit who already has the retail disc posted the following image.

That's not installed now is it? The launcher does quite a bit of decompression. Not saying the actual game files will take up 10 gigs once all is done but the game likely uses quite a bit of caching as well.

pahamrick

That's not installed now is it? The launcher does quite a bit of decompression. Not saying the actual game files will take up 10 gigs once all is done but the game likely uses quite a bit of caching as well.

Well, no -- but he did open the 1.8 gig zip file and it lists the size vs the packed size, hence my confusion.

Sarcasm

I am on the fence on getting this (I want the game..but should get it typ of thing) and wondering if I should go retail for the 20 promo.

I only ask cause I am an American living in Taiwan so I always (did before mainly unless for good promos) bought digitally. I would buy this one and try to find out how to add in in Origin (cause Origin is a stupid POS that locks itself in Chinese and can only view Asia page - yes I contacted support they say they won't do anything - yet steam said hey use this address and your good to go).

If I get the retail version sent to a family member does it come with an code (like when orange box was purchaseable)?

syllogism

Well, no -- but he did open the 1.8 gig zip file and it lists the size vs the packed size, hence my confusion.
The assets in the zip may be further compressed and besides that it's unlikely that the game uses 12 gb space. More likely that's what it requires for the temporary files during decompression.

Cru Jones

To buy or not to buy. That is the question.

The best case for me would be GMG I guess...

GMG doesn't know when they are getting their keys out other than a vague "you'll have it on release day"

I pre-ordered in December from them and I still haven't gotten my key and I am not confident I'll be able to play tonight at midnight when it is released.

garath

To buy or not to buy. That is the question.

The best case for me would be GMG I guess...

I'm in the same boat. Personally if I do anything it'll be retail with the $20 amazon credit. Game's not worth more than $40 for me. I'm so torn. I don't like the idea of having to play multiplayer to have a successful city (in the regions). But that's pretty much my only complaint.. hmmm..

suedester

Banned
I'm in the same boat. Personally if I do anything it'll be retail with the $20 amazon credit. Game's not worth more than $40 for me. I'm so torn. I don't like the idea of having to play multiplayer to have a successful city (in the regions). But that's pretty much my only complaint.. hmmm..

You can start a private region so only you can play cities within it.

red731

GMG, yeah, I've heard that about the keys, but that doesn't bother me much.
I am looking for digital alternative since from GMG, it is the cheapest I can get (not couting amazon).

Will see...

ed: eagerly awaiting answer to question from garath down below

Megasoum

Banned
Hmm, so like you build one city at a time to create a successful region? Now that would be cool. Planning on a multi-city scale :eek:

Yup so you can make one city that has all the oil/coal and the pollution. And for example build a ton of oil/coal powerplant. Then, when you go and create your other city where most of your population will live you don't even need a powerplant, you can just import the power from the polluted city.

Raide

Hmm, so like you build one city at a time to create a successful region? Now that would be cool. Planning on a multi-city scale :eek:

That is pretty much their plan. Gone are the massive cities, instead you build multiple smaller cities that can support each-other. Interesting to see this pan out with several people playing together.

Singapore Origin unlock is in roughly 2 hours. I used one with Syndicate and BF3 and they never said a thing about it, don't expect this time to be much different. Looking forward to wasting my week on this game.

Whelp, looks like I'm getting up early and figuring out how to do this

That is pretty much their plan. Gone are the massive cities, instead you build multiple smaller cities that can support each-other. Interesting to see this pan out with several people playing together.

I wouldn't mind seeing them go to a region system with one BIG city with the other cities in the region being small and helping support the metropolis.

syoaran

I preordered straight from Origin and got XXXXXXXXXXXX as my product code. I don't Singapore VPN will work for me :(

Thats the thing really. I'd probably buy from Origin given its a slow week with plenty of extra play time, but it looks like EA are withholding product keys until the game you bought launches in your region. If thats the case then no early play....

ekim

Thats the thing really. I'd probably buy from Origin given its a slow week with plenty of extra play time, but it looks like EA are withholding product keys until the game you bought launches in your region. If thats the case then no early play....

My guess is, you'll get the key once you login to origin from a region where the game is released.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Singapore thing is going down in like 6 minutes?

I bought my copy on GMG but I already registered on Origin. I'll hop on a VPN to see if I can unlock it.

Will I have to download the game through the Singaporean (?) VPN, or can I unlock, hop out and download through my regular connection?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
How could you register your GMG game in Origin if they haven´t send the keys yet? :$

I got my key the moment I made the purchase, back on March 1st. It showed up instantly on my Keys area on the website.

Update: When using the Singapore VPN, the game shows up as unlocked. When I get back to my IP, the game is locked.

I won't use the Singapore VPN to download it (too damn slow) and I'll need a Singapore IP to launch the game until it comes out in my region tomorrow. Screw it.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
New post so it won't be lost on the automatic reloading script:

When using the Singapore VPN, the game shows up as unlocked. When I get back to my IP, the game is locked.

I guess I could download the game using the painfully slow Singapore VPN, but I'll need to hop into it to play anyway, as I can't launch the game from my regular IP.

The game unlocks tomorrow in 14 hours on my region. I'll just wait.

ekim

New post so it won't be lost on the automatic reloading script:

When using the Singapore VPN, the game shows up as unlocked. When I get back to my IP, the game is locked.

I guess I could download the game using the painfully slow Singapore VPN, but I'll need to hop into it to play anyway, as I can't launch the game from my regular IP.

The game unlocks tomorrow in 14 hours on my region. I'll just wait.

Do you have a key noted in your origin's game details page?

Top Bottom