• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure which edition i should buy. Not really that interested in hero/villain, at least not in the beginning.. but what exactly are these european themed sets? Are they building styles just as in past sim city titles that affect the entire city?

Ghost23

Just want to double check to make sure that the people wanting in on that first region list are confirmed to be playing in today's beta, right? That's what it's for.

If you are in tonight's beta, you should have gotten an email. I am assuming the GAF region is for tonight.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Do I need another key?

Yep.

http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/19avuo/i_just_got_accepted_into_a_closed_beta_for/

tuFp62Al.png

Moaradin

Okay, I'll start collecting a list then! Let's assume it'll be in the Beta, so we can do that. Did it say it had a 1h time playtime restriction, or just 4h beta do whatever the hell you want?

Code:
GAF-Name       Origin-Name
Rentahamster   Rentahamster
FearMyWrench   FearMyWrench
saunderez      saunderez
Fixed1979      Fixed1979
FuzzyNorman    Absolute22
Smiley90       Smiley90

Let me know if you have ideas for a name! We can't really pick regions yet since a) we don't know the final "lineup" for gaffers/size yet, and b) we don't know all the regions-looks for city spaces yet, so we'll probably just wing it tomorrow :D if it's even in it.

If anyone else wants in on GAFtown, quote this post and I'll edit accordingly!

I got invited to the beta 3 also, so I don't mind playing with GAF.

Origin: Moaradin.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm going to pre-order a physical copy from Amazon to get the $20 credit. I'll be running it on my rMBP Bootcamp partition.

I never order physical copies but if the key can be plopped into Origin, it might be worth it for the credit. Forget using an actual disc, though, ew.

GAF: Snuggler
Origin: Snuggler666

Add me to the group since I'll likely be on board day one. I apologize in advance for all of the future pollution and crime leaking from my city.

Lotto

Great OT.

Thanks for uploading the OST Sethos. Opened up the playlist for an hour or so before heading to class and the music sounds great, getting hyped just by listening to it, heh. I haven't played a Simcity game since Simcity 2000 but I'm really digging what they're doing with this one, not sure I'll bite for release just yet though.

I've been listening to the soundtrack for a little while and I have to say... sorely disappointed.

Simcity 4/Rush Hour had such a good soundtrack by Jerry Martin and others but this new one sounds like I'm listening to the background music of a pixar movie. Yawn.

Anyone else feel down about the music like I am? I think I might have to switch out the music when I play this.

I'm listening now.

Jerry Martin was one of my favorite things about the other games. Sim City 3 and 4 had insanely good OSTs.

Forever the best Sim City Track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhsY0uBbgyo

Now...we'll find out. But I'm a few tracks in and I'm not happy.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I've been listening to the soundtrack for a little while and I have to say... sorely disappointed.

Simcity 4/Rush Hour had such a good soundtrack by Jerry Martin and others but this new one sounds like I'm listening to the background music of a pixar movie. Yawn.

Anyone else feel down about the music like I am? I think I might have to switch out the music when I play this.

I have my share of beefs with the new Sim City, but the soundtrack is not one of them. In fact, I think the music is extremely well done for the new game. Everything about the game is very polished: graphics, music interface. It's a few design decisions WRT gameplay that I take issue with.

But no, the music is fantastic IMHO.

Gutted that I won't be able to take part in the beta tonight, mostly because I don't have a key and it starts at 1am where I live :p

I look forward to seeing pics and videos of all your cities though. Can't wait to hear how the GAF region plays out too!

BearPawB

Banned
Gutted that I won't be able to take part in the beta tonight, mostly because I don't have a key and it starts at 1am where I live :p

I look forward to seeing pics and videos of all your cities though. Can't wait to hear how the GAF region plays out too!

im just excited to see some more big avenues! And new buildings! In new zones!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The first GAF-region list was meant for just the 4h beta today, yes, but I can easily set up a more general GAF-region list for the release. Or even easier, expand the same list and just bold the people that will also be in the beta. So for those that haven't specified yet, please specify if you're in for today's beta region or just the general release region! I'll update the list once I'm home and will go over all the posts again to make sure I'm not missing anyone.

AppleMIX

The first GAF-region list was meant for just the 4h beta today, yes, but I can easily set up a more general GAF-region list for the release. Or even easier, expand the same list and just bold the people that will also be in the beta. So for those that haven't specified yet, please specify if you're in for today's beta region or just the general release region! I'll update the list once I'm home and will go over all the posts again to make sure I'm not missing anyone.

I'm fine with either.

Also anyone know when the keys will be sent out?

Fixed1979

Oh, well I've got no key for tonight...but I'm in for day 1 if we keep the same list.

I'll just add people tonight or tomorrow.

I'm working an a neat registration page using the actual city images, and I'll be populating them with peoples avatars like the actual game :p

Nero3000

Yeah, im not in the beta.

But will be on Day 1! (in the UK).

I vote for the Discovery Delta map.

I'm working an a neat registration page using the actual city images, and I'll be populating them with peoples avatars like the actual game :p

Oh neat! I'll add it to the OT when it's done if that's ok?

I'm also going to put in a section regarding the regions at some point too.

Quick

Banned
Is it just me, or is Origin's account editing really limiting? I want to change the e-mail and Xbox Gamertag associated with my account, and it won't let me do it.

On a brighter note, my body is ready.

Burbank_

I have a hard time imagining how they will deliver mods with the publisher and the mandatory multiplayer. No custom content is a bigger problem than city size and static highways imo.

It will probably never get mods and still be a good game though. Looks really good.

I have a hard time imagining how they will deliver mods with the publisher and the mandatory multiplayer. No custom content is a bigger problem than city size and static highways imo.

It will probably never get mods and still be a good game though. Looks really good.

When the game was announced they said that players will be able to add mods to the game sometime after release. I'm not sure what their current stance is on it but we'll see I guess. The multiplayer aspect does make it hard to imagine how mods could work though.

You should probably add a GAF Origin username friendlist, so that GAF members have an easy way too add other members if they need people to play with. Like in the Diablo III thread.

On it :)

Remmy2112

No beta invite for me, as I suspected. Sadface. Oh well, I'll be there day 1... in the evening because UPS in my area always delivers to my house at like 7 PM at night. :(

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

There's no mandatory multiplayer. Yes, there is leaderboard-multiplayer, but there is also non-leaderboard play (e.g. Sandbox mode), so there will be without-mod leaderboards and no-leaderboard play for modded games if anything. It will definitely be moddable, that was confirmed.

Spl1nter

I shall have the most efficient 2km x 2km city ever, and than the zombies will be unleashed.

All the dev beta footage looks amazing.

I'm in the US, and it's not working at Amazon.com. Says the code is not valid. Maybe the deal ended. :(

I forgot to add, it is only for digital titles. Do you select the digital download? It still works for people.

EDIT: Ah, I see you wanted the physical version for the credit. So it might have been that.

Spl1nter

This is why I am hyped:

If you had asked me a while back if I would buy the new SimCity game, the answer would have been a definite no. As far as I was concerned, it was basically another Societies or Cities XL clone and I wasn't interested. I got the opportunity to participate in the beta, so I decided to try it out, and it had a very definite "this is a reboot" feel. It didn't feel like it warranted the title "SimCity 5," but as a reboot of the series, it was decent. However, after playing the version we did for the community event, it is evident that this isn't a reboot where the producer throws out all the old material simply because he didn't like it. This is Maxis positioning the SimCity series for a future it could have never achieved under the previous design paradigm. It may look like Maxis is taking steps backwards with the technology, but that is incorrect. Rather, Maxis is basing the series on a new technological underpinning that will be capable of carrying our favorite franchise into the future. We are witnessing a new stage in SimCity's evolution, and while SC4 hands the new game enormous shoes to fill, I feel it is up to the task.

Hym's Post-Maxis Trip Impressions

SC4 hardcore members are turning around there opinion.

Added a new Community section with a link to a spreadsheet where everyone's Origin usernames will go. PM me your GAF, Origin and real world region and I'll put it in as soon as possible.

Looking for people to collaborate with this so if anyone wants to help out, PM me! :)

Definitely in for both regions, beta and general release.

Spl1nter

Added a new Community section with a link to a spreadsheet where everyone's Origin usernames will go. PM me your GAF, Origin and real world region and I'll put it in as soon as possible.

Looking for people to collaborate with this so if anyone wants to help out, PM me! :)

Its probably easier for you if we make a list and people quote and add themselves to that list which you than add to the google doc.

Ex:
GAF Name - Origin Name - Region
Spl1nter - Spl1nters - NA

Another option is we just begin by setting up regions and players can join those regions. However, I am sure people are weary with that option due to the different level of dedication and objectives post-release.

GAF Region 1 NA: 8 Player Region
1.Spl1nter - Spl1nters

GAF Region 1 EU: 16 Player Region
1. Cjdamon042 - Cjdamon042
etc...

Top Bottom