• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Since Xbox 2 won't be backwards compatible, how bout this?

MrparisSM

Banned
I understand emulating hardware outright can be very tough, but doing it for individual games is MUCH easier. M$ should make the Halo series backwards compatible with Xenon with an included "boot" disc with the hardware. Sort of similar to the Bleem thing that was going to come out for the Dreamcast for PS1 games. If we're really lucky they could make the Halos, NG, DOAs and a few others playable on Xenon by using this one boot disc. I could care less about my third party games being backwards compatible. And this would be substantially cheaper than trying to make every game BC. What do u guys think?

Pug

Why don't you wait for MS to tell us if Xbox 2 will be compatable? Maybe there should a sticky thread for precogs regarding hardware specifications?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Pug said:
Why don't you wait for MS to tell us if Xbox 2 will be compatable? Maybe there should a sticky thread for precogs regarding hardware specifications?

Why don't you stop telling people how to post and how to mod...?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Emulating an individual game may be easier than attempting to emulate them all, but you've still got to put effort into emulating for a good number of respected games, that cut across tastes. And part of the value of full backwards compatability is that its available AT LAUNCH of the new hardware, FOR NO EXTRA COST. You'd have to make sure as many of these individual boot discs are available at launch for the idea to have a chance of having the same influence as hardware BC and even then it'd be at a significant deficit because of the extra cost involved in buying each disc.

A better idea would be to offer the emulator software for free download over XBL...assuming there's a sizable storage device to store the downloads to...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
There is a problem of IP licensing with the GPU and emulation might not be fast enough and even if it were they still would not be able to emulate specific NV2A features.

The CPU should be emulated well by the Xbox 2 CPU, they do have the right software tools.

It is doable, even without the HDD (loosing some performance), but will MS go for it ?

I hope so, I like backward-compatibility.

MrparisSM

Banned
kaching said:
Emulating an individual game may be easier than attempting to emulate them all, but you've still got to put effort into emulating for a good number of respected games, that cut across tastes. And part of the value of full backwards compatability is that its available AT LAUNCH of the new hardware, FOR NO EXTRA COST. You'd have to make sure as many of these individual boot discs are available at launch for the idea to have a chance of having the same influence as hardware BC and even then it'd be at a significant deficit because of the extra cost involved in buying each disc.

A better idea would be to offer the emulator software for free download over XBL...assuming there's a sizable storage device to store the downloads to...

I'm not saying one individual disc per game. I'm saying one boot disc available INCLUDED with the hardware that makes all the games I mentioned backwrds compatible. Evrybody doesn't have xbox LIVE, so downloading it wouldn't work. Also there wouldn't be that many Key franchises to emulate, like I said I only care about the Xboxes "exclusive" games.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
MrparisSM said:
I'm not saying one individual disc per game. I'm saying one boot disc available INCLUDED with the hardware that makes all the games I mentioned backwrds compatible. Evrybody doesn't have xbox LIVE, so downloading it wouldn't work. Also there wouldn't be that many Key franchises to emulate, like I said I only care about the Xboxes "exclusive" games.

It would be something like BleemBox!

Brofist

MrparisSM said:

It's not worth MS's time, and it's not marketable enough. People who own Halo own an Xbox, they wont pay extra to buy a disc to play it on Xbox 2. Straight BC is the only way to go, that way it's seen as a feature of the system, and even if it causes the system to be a bit more expensive, it's a hidden cost in the end.

MrparisSM

Banned
kpop100 said:
It's not worth MS's time, and it's not marketable enough. People who own Halo own an Xbox, they wont pay extra to buy a disc to play it on Xbox 2. Straight BC is the only way to go, that way it's seen as a feature of the system, and even if it causes the system to be a bit more expensive, it's a hidden cost in the end.

Guys, I'm not proposing they sell this disc. It should most certainly be included FREE with the system. Yes people that have Halo must have an Xbox, that's a no brainer, but I for one don't like to keep old hardware once new stuff comes out. Not to mention the xbox isn't that small you know... Plus I could get a little money back with a trade in or something.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Wouldn't this basically mean there are only five or so XBox games worth playing?

Either way, I think it's a truly awful idea. Either include backwards compatibility or don't.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
BuddyChrist83 said:
It wasn't.
So that means that this thread is worthless.

I'm very sure that Xenon/ Xbox 2, whatever you want to call it is going be backwards compatable. I can't see MS making that big of a mistake.

Brofist

MrparisSM said:
Guys, I'm not proposing they sell this disc. It should most certainly be included FREE with the system. Yes people that have Halo must have an Xbox, that's a no brainer, but I for one don't like to keep old hardware once new stuff comes out. Not to mention the xbox isn't that small you know... Plus I could get a little money back with a trade in or something.

Don't quote me, but I'd imagine if anything if bc isn't built into the Xbox 2 it's to keep costs down, the disc idea seems to defeat the purpose of that. And if you think with the price they're asking for Xbox Live Arcade games they would throw a disc like that in for free, I'd say you're more optimistic than that ridiculous guy in the "MS Can't give Halo 2 away in Japan" topic :p

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
The XBOX library ain't that great. Who cares?

Backwards compatability is overrated. The only place where I feel it makes the most sense is with portables (DS).

Brofist

DaCocoBrova said:
The XBOX library ain't that great. Who cares?

Backwards compatability is overrated. The only place where I feel it makes the most sense is with portables (DS).

You have a point. I played PS1 games for like a week on my PS2.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Exactly.

There's something to be said about busting out old tech to play old games... Now, if Xenon can make XBOX games look exponentially better, then I'm all for it if it doesn't inflate hardware costs.

MrparisSM

Banned
kpop100 said:
Don't quote me, but I'd imagine if anything if bc isn't built into the Xbox 2 it's to keep costs down, the disc idea seems to defeat the purpose of that. And if you think with the price they're asking for Xbox Live Arcade games they would throw a disc like that in for free, I'd say you're more optimistic than that ridiculous guy in the "MS Can't give Halo 2 away in Japan" topic :p

True, M$ is in this to make money. But if its to expensive to include Full BC and too resource comsuming to develop it, this would be a very viable alternative. Also I thought discs are very cheaply made? So in the end this would be a lot more cheaper aswell. Also thanks for the intelligent thoughts on the subject.

*Trolling is soooo overated. If u don't like a thread stay out of it.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Budget games. People buy low-cost software from the last generation for younger gamers.

Top Bottom