• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slick_Advanced RX-8 -1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car was totalled last night in a dust storm. The wind pushed another car into my lane hitting the back of the car spinning me 180 degrees before getting hit again and then pushed into the guard rail. I'm a little sore but, I'm at work today.

Oh well it was fun while it lasted.

I'm not even upset. It's one of those acts of God kind of things. The person who hit me couldn't have controlled it and I'm glad no one in my accident got really hurt. There was an accident about 20 miles up the road that had people bursting in flames so. At least I was able to walk home.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
:( RIP RX-8...
...are you going to get it fixed?

Well, look on the bright side, you're not seriously hurt...if it wasn't an RX-8 who knows, it could've flipped over.

Dilbert

Oh man...that is LOUSY news. Sorry about your car -- from the pictures you posted yesterday, it was beautiful. The most important thing is your health -- I hope that soreness doesn't turn into more serious pain.

Any idea on who is going to be assessed at fault, if anyone? Will you be able to replace the car?

Pochacco said:
:( RIP RX-8...
...are you going to get it fixed?

Well, look on the bright side, you're not seriously hurt...if it wasn't an RX-8 who knows, it could've flipped over.

There isn't much left to fix, I mean it's bent up pretty badly. Will I get another one. I'm not sure yet. I could get a cheaper car and save some cash plus the car gets SUV like fuel ecomony so.... Yeah the guy tapping me from the back is what set me off. I usually drive with the traction control off because I like the feel but, that leaves me with a lot of power in the back so when I saw the guy coming over my reaction was to speed up but, with the TCS off I just started to fish tail and next thing I know I'm sitting on the guard rail. It happens much faster than you think.

-jinx- said:
Oh man...that is LOUSY news. Sorry about your car -- from the pictures you posted yesterday, it was beautiful. The most important thing is your health -- I hope that soreness doesn't turn into more serious pain.

Any idea on who is going to be assessed at fault, if anyone? Will you be able to replace the car?

My actual car is green not red. I think the fault is on the guy who came into my lane I didn't get a citation but, you really can't blame the guy I mean a gust of wind basically picked his car up and pushed it over. As far a pain I don't think I'll have anything lingering. I was in my seat belt and the car comes with front and side air bags. And for the record I think they should stop calling them air bags. Air implies a nice soft landing, that not what I felt. Calling it a pebble bag would be better.

was seriously looking at an RX8; was turned off by the oil consumption, SUV gas mileage... however is still a very pretty car with good performance..

maybe this was just your way of getting to own one and drive it around a bit, and then spend the same $$$ on a sedan or something?

LuckyBrand said:
was seriously looking at an RX8; was turned off by the oil consumption, SUV gas mileage... however is still a very pretty car with good performance..

maybe this was just your way of getting to own one and drive it around a bit, and then spend the same $$$ on a sedan or something?

Oil consumption is not THAT bad. I mean it's like a 1/4 of a quart ever 2 or 3 fillups but, I will give you that gas mileage. Maybe, I'm not a sedan kind of guy but, my options are really open right now. Thankfully I am flush with the amount that I owe on the car compared to what it is worth. So at least I can take the insurance and pay it off.

Slick_Advanced said:
Oil consumption is not THAT bad. I mean it's like a 1/4 of a quart ever 2 or 3 fillups but, I will give you that gas mileage. Maybe, I'm not a sedan kind of guy but, my options are really open right now. Thankfully I am flush with the amount that I owe on the car compared to what it is worth. So at least I can take the insurance and pay it off.

how much did you pay? maybe you can get another one for even cheaper?

when i was looking, for a manual they had them marked up, but automatics were going at invoice.. lately in my area they have had $3K rebates on the hoods of RX8's... one dealership was even selling red and black RX8's for low 20's with cd and leather and stuff.. they ordered way too many of those colors apparently.

so maybe you can get a good deal on it now?

or just save the money for a 2005 pontiac solstice!

LuckyBrand said:
how much did you pay? maybe you can get another one for even cheaper?

when i was looking, for a manual they had them marked up, but automatics were going at invoice.. lately in my area they have had $3K rebates on the hoods of RX8's... one dealership was even selling red and black RX8's for low 20's with cd and leather and stuff.. they ordered way too many of those colors apparently.

so maybe you can get a good deal on it now?

or just save the money for a 2005 pontiac solstice!

I paid 32k out the door. I'll may just get an A to B car and save some cash for something I may want in the future. But, I love the car and I know it's design saved my life so I have no complaints.

Probably so. But, I am going to class down. I'm not sure about how this election is going to go and I need to start saving more cash. Cutting my car payment in half is looking good. Right now. But, whatever I do. The saftey features of the car are going to be the deciding factor for me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
get a rex!

Oh, and glad you are OK

how does insurance work the the USA? You don't seem to mind who was at fault? In the UK if you have to claim yourself your insurance goes up a lot, so you always blame the other guy.

mrklaw said:
get a rex!

Oh, and glad you are OK

how does insurance work the the USA? You don't seem to mind who was at fault? In the UK if you have to claim yourself your insurance goes up a lot, so you always blame the other guy.

Thanks, and it works about the same. I wouldn't get a REX, I like creature comforts the REX is spartan to me.

Sorry to hear you lost your
romeoc.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
really? Mine has aircon, electric windows comfy seats, cup holders etc. pretty good trim really. kind of what I'd expect the RX8 to have.

Or do you mean luxury type stuff, like in a BM or Merc?

Anyhow, I'd take the opportunity to try something else, just for the heck of it.

Mustang

Banned
Man, so sorry about your car.

But you walked away and that is the most important thing.

A car is just an object and can be replaced. :)

Mustang said:
Man, so sorry about your car.

But you walked away and that is the most important thing.

A car is just an object and can be replaced. :)

Yeah, I much as one would be broke up about it I'm not. I just have to move on. The fact that bounced around at 80 MPH and was able to walk out of my car to my bed and get up this morning make it worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom