• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Small suggestion for Metroid: Hunters (DS) control scheme

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
In the videos I have seen, the way you change the POV (where you look) is to use the stylus, touch the screen and drag it in quick strokes.

This is used also to simply rotate on your position to look left and right while the D-Pad is used to do this:

UP = forward

DOWN = backward

LEFT = strafe left

RIGHT = strafe right

This is odd considering Metroid Prime's controls.

My idea was to use either the L or R button to enable viewpoint change.

Sort of:

if ( PRESSED == status_L () ) {

if ( TRUE = stylus_pressed () ) move_view_point ( return_distance() );

}

else {

if ( TRUE == stylus_pressed () ) target_and_hit ();

}

This way turning left and right looks a little bit too complex for its own being: workable, but I would like it to be a bit smoother.

IntestineBoy

Sasquatch of 1000 (hairy) colons
Panajev2001a said:
if ( PRESSED == status_L () ) {

if ( TRUE = stylus_pressed () ) move_view_point ( return_distance() );

}

else {

if ( TRUE == stylus_pressed () ) target_and_hit ();

}

Don't you think you could have said that without sounding like a giant nerd?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
They've already said that the game will have a seperate control scheme for people who don't want to use the stylus

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
My personal preference: forward/back/strafe with the d-pad or buttons, stylus to mouse-look, and press either shoulder to charge/release to fire.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
You still need to assign a button to go into ball mode, so you kinda have to go out of the way to press select or the face buttons

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Wario64 said:
They've already said that the game will have a seperate control scheme for people who don't want to use the stylus

I WANT to use the stylus.

I actually like using it to aim and shoot at enemies.

My suggestion was aimed at making easier and smoother the process of moving the camera around with the stylus.

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
Panajev2001a said:
I actually like using it to aim and shoot at enemies.

Aiming with it was one thing, but doing the tap shot was no fun with 2 people on either side of you, and inadvertantly charging and shooting every time you tried to look around was even sloppier designwise.

Trying to repeatedly tap the same eighth-inch by eighth-inch section of the screen was something akin to playing that game where you stab a knife in between all your spread fingers as fast as you can, and neither sound like my idea of a fun time.

I suggest they make the game single player so those of us without any friends (and really... how many people are you going to know that have a DS? I have a hard enough time playing multiplayer GBA...)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Theoretically, multiplayer NDS will be easier than mp GBA. I mean, how often would you go up to someone in a subway or park, brandishing a link cable, offering to mp?

I believe with the NDS, it will be much easier, since there will be software to auto-detect viable potential partners, or something?

Do you multiplay with strangers? Nintendo should impliment a beeping feature or something when there's other DS's nearby just in case playing with straingers is your bag. Something to let you know other players are nearby.

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
Camillemurs said:
Do you multiplay with strangers? Nintendo should impliment a beeping feature or something when there's other DS's nearby just in case playing with straingers is your bag. Something to let you know other players are nearby.

They're waaaay ahead of you. That's the plan -- put your DS in 'sleep' mode and it'll wake up and sound an alarm when another DS comes in range.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
If you take the nerd out of Panajev it's like taking the soul out of humanity.

I understood your explanation perfectly, yay for nerds everywhere.

Top Bottom