• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So could the battle of the next holidays end up like this?

SantaC

Battle of November 2005 = FFXII, Zelda and Xenon?

MS got no Halo this time, so maybe they will actually launch the Xenon at that time. For PS2 and Gamecube I see no other games than Zelda and FFXII, unless PS3 and Revolution makes it out in 2005 but I doubt it.

Well it's hard to top holidays of 2004, but I actually think 2005 look even hotter :D

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Zelda's not even that likely for November given recent news.

So...this three way battle's falling apart quite quickly, huh?

SantaC

Mama Smurf said:
Zelda's not even that likely for November given recent news.

So...this three way battle's falling apart quite quickly, huh?

I am pretty sure Zelda is bound for holidays in the US next year.

It only said that Zelda was in development during Q2.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
SantaCruZer said:
It only said that Zelda was in development during Q2.

No, it doesn't just say that (it'd be a incredibly strange thing to say if it did, why specify a quarter for it being developed in?), it says: Launch Date Q2 2005 for it.

Oh it could be delayed/pushed back to November, sure, but right now I'd say a November launch is less likely than one earlier in the year.

Just please stop with the damned - RELEASE EVERYTHING IN THE LAST QUARTER! bullshit.

Space out the game releases and try to market them accordingly. I mean, it's great for cheap ass gamers, but I reckon it's bad for the developers as they're going to get crushed by the like of big name games come Holiday shopping season. Release some of this stuff in the first quarter, when everyone is enjoying their new Holiday toys and during the summer when people have lots of free time.

jiggle

Doubtful FFXII is a holiday release. Probably late summer/fall.

Kingdom Heart 2 is gonna be their holiday game.

xexex

Banned
Zelda will have to make November 2005 release.

Xbox Next and Xbox Next HD will also most likely release in Q4 unless MS decides its better to wait until 2006. it probably largely depends on Sony launching PS3 in Japan early in 2006. if Sony waits til summer, MS might hold Xbox Next over but at this point that's doubtful.

AniHawk

If it came down to FFXII vs. Zelda, Zelda >> FFXII.
TWW sold near 850,000 copies its first month during a slow month. The last FF game released (truely FF) hit 500,000 during a big month with very little competition among the platform itself. You can bet your ass both companies will be hyping their games, but Zelda will feature a much more badass main character that should draw in casuals and deserters of the series after TWW.

If it came down to KH vs. Zelda, Zelda > KH.
This one's tough. KH is really in touch with the kids, and a lot of teens-adults enjoy it too. If COM is very successful on the GBA, then these two might equal each other in sales, but Zelda, if it comes out in a month like November where Nintendo will be putting out Zelda Collector bundles (or maybe Zelda FSA bundles), then I think it will have the edge over KH.

If it was KH vs. FFXII vs. Zelda, Zelda > KH > FFXII.
FFXII and KH will be split between the Square fanbase, and Zelda should have an easy time taking the crown.

In any scenario, I can't see a way for Zelda to just fall flat on its face. Square Enix/Sony will be hyping up KH and FFXII, but for this gen, this new Zelda just may be their biggest title (it'd be hard to top SSBM's success), and it will be advertised to high hell. The only obstacle is Nintendo's advertising itself.

Xenon should kill all those, though. New game system with the momentum MS has had lately (and if it carries over into next year) = win.

cvxfreak

I still am not convinced that the new Zelda is going to be a huge event in the game industry. It'll sell well, but I think it'll only do marginally better than TWW.

AniHawk

CVXFREAK said:
I still am not convinced that the new Zelda is going to be a huge event in the game industry. It'll sell well, but I think it'll only do marginally better than TWW.

It all comes down to how well it's marketed. I saw a couple guys come into our store and go on and on about Halo 2 and other Xbox games, looked at the cover for the new Zelda game, looked at the back and were surprised to see it was the new Zelda. This has the potential to be an industry event almost as much as OOT was- if Nintendo plays their cards right (meaning not only advertise it very well, but make the game one that's fucking excellent [and continues bettering the series in the storytelling department, but that's more of a personal thing :)]).

cvxfreak

AniHawk said:
It all comes down to how well it's marketed. I saw a couple guys come into our store and go on and on about Halo 2 and other Xbox games, looked at the cover for the new Zelda game, looked at the back and were surprised to see it was the new Zelda. This has the potential to be an industry event almost as much as OOT was- if Nintendo plays their cards right (meaning not only advertise it very well, but make the game one that's fucking excellent [and continues bettering the series in the storytelling department, but that's more of a personal thing :)]).

I agree that Nintendo really needs to make an event out of Zelda WW2. Advertise the hell out of the thing, give it a theme song, memorabilia, a nice system bundle, a collector's edition and a good pre-order offer.

Kon Tiki

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
Battle of November 2005 = FFXII, Zelda and Xenon?

MS got no Halo this time, so maybe they will actually launch the Xenon at that time. For PS2 and Gamecube I see no other games than Zelda and FFXII, unless PS3 and Revolution makes it out in 2005 but I doubt it.

Well it's hard to top holidays of 2004, but I actually think 2005 look even hotter :D

Is that Japan?

Zelda would not come out in the US for Xmas.

Actually it will be out months before Xmas, your hypothetical example is wrong even if it did not come out months earlier.

Solid

CVXFREAK said:
I agree that Nintendo really needs to make an event out of Zelda WW2. Advertise the hell out of the thing, give it a theme song, memorabilia, a nice system bundle, a collector's edition and a good pre-order offer.
Yes more Limited Editions please. A bonusdisc with A Link To The Past woulde be awesome.

AniHawk

Deepthroat said:
Yes more Limited Editions please. A bonusdisc with A Link To The Past woulde be awesome.

I can see the commercials already:

"Pre-order The Legend of Zelda: Fuck You All now, and receive seven classic Zelda games free."

LoZ, AoL, ALttP, LADX, OoT, OoT:MQ, MM

Insertia

AniHawk said:
If it came down to FFXII vs. Zelda, Zelda >> FFXII.
TWW sold near 850,000 copies its first month during a slow month. The last FF game released (truely FF) hit 500,000 during a big month with very little competition among the platform itself. You can bet your ass both companies will be hyping their games, but Zelda will feature a much more badass main character that should draw in casuals and deserters of the series after TWW.

Lets not forget Wind Waker was Gamecube's first 'worth-purchasing' release after a 5 month drought and was also given away with two free games while FFX was released in the same time span as MGS2, DMC, GTA3, THPS4, and a still strong GT3.

cvxfreak

AniHawk said:
I can see the commercials already:

"Pre-order The Legend of Zelda: Fuck You All now, and receive seven classic Zelda games free."

LoZ, AoL, ALttP, LADX, OoT, OoT:MQ, MM

AND A FREE COPY OF ZELDA: WIND WAKER~~~~~~!

AniHawk

Insertia said:
Lets not forget Wind Waker was Gamecube's first 'worth-purchasing' release after a 5 month drought and was also given away with two free games while FFX was released in the same time span as MGS2, DMC, GTA3, THPS4, and a still strong GT3.

And now the new Zelda will be released after a 12-month drought!

Top Bottom