• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So does the PSTwo have USB 1 or 2?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Gamespot seems to think 1.0?

RUMOR #5: The new PlayStation 2's USB ports are 2.0, not 1.1.

Source: A bunch of confused GameSpot editors.

The official story: See below.

What we heard: After caressing the petite console's black matte case, several GameSpot editors began thumbing through the manual. Looking at the tech specs on page 50, something struck us. Under the "inputs/outputs" section were the words "USB Connector 2"--it didn't identify which kind of USB connector. Since the original PlayStation 2 used USB 1.1, and USB 1.1 has been all but phased out, could the USB connectors be USB 2.0? If they were, the USB connectors could be used to support a variety of fancy peripherals, including an external hard drive (which would come as a great relief to Final Fantasy XI players). However, our hopes were dashed by Sony, which said the USB ports had the "same functionality as the first PS2."

Bogus or not bogus?: Bogus

So what is it?
I thought someone actually took the console apart to find out they were USB 2.0, and if so why would sony want to not flaunt the fact (other then the fact that as of now they have no use.. )

The Link

BuddyC

Supposedly Sony's Customer Service says it's USB 2.0. Though the ports will have the same functionality as before, in that there (likely) won't be USB 2.0 specific (or PStwo exclusive) hardware.

M3wThr33

Banned
Well, I heard a while back on /. that the USB group was renaming ALL of USB to USB 2.0 and just calling the traditional one USB 2.0 Hi-Speed. Did that get shut down?

Pfucata

No, that is true. USB 2.0 Full Speed == USB 1.0 (10Mbps). USB 2.0 Hi-Speed is your 400Mbps version.

So maybe everyone's right and it's just USB 2.0 Full Speed.

Dave Long

Banned
However, our hopes were dashed by Sony, which said the USB ports had the "same functionality as the first PS2."

When they say this, it could easily mean it's USB 2.0. I'm not sure why Gamespot was so quick to attempt to debunk this given this rather ambiguous response.

Top Bottom