• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how does the PS5 Pro fps boosting works with not-Pro PS5 titles who had 30fps in Graphics Mode?

Nickolaidas

Has there been any statement on how exactly those games will be affected?

For example, FF7 Remake (not Rebirth), has a Graphics Mode on PS5 which is 4K at 30 fps. If no PS5-pro patch comes out for that, exactly how does the PS5 Pro improve (if at all) the framerate of a game which runs at 30 fps in 'Graphics/Quality Mode'?

Or is the Pro's whole shtick improving the image quality of the 'performance' mode WITHOUT any patches needed by Sony or the devs?

Basically, for a game like FF7 Remake that no PS5 Pro patch has been announced, how exactly does the Pro improve the two visual game modes, if at all?

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
PSSR resolution increase
Unlocked frame rate modes can be increased

That's all I would expect. I would think you'd have to do anything beyond that with actual patches, but I don't know much about these things.

Mahavastu

Most likely:
if the game was unstable 30fps before, then it will be (more) stable now. If the game was already stable 30fps, not much will change on this front
If the game has dynamic resolution, this might be higher now. But before you too happy, in the DF video most games had the same resolutions as the base PS5 without better graphics beside PSSR.

saintjules

Gold Member
Well there's that Ultra Boost Mode at the system level for games that don't get Pro enhancements. So I'd imagine in the least there can be some minor improvements, but I'm sure nothing by way of framerate without the patch enhancement.

Last edited:
Most likely:
if the game was unstable 30fps before, then it will be (more) stable now. If the game was already stable 30fps, not much will change on this front
If the game has dynamic resolution, this might be higher now. But before you too happy, in the DF video most games had the same resolutions as the base PS5 without better graphics beside PSSR.
But provide a very clear uplift in visual quality, at double the framerate. Its a pretty impressive upgrade, even if its the same base resolution.

kevboard

people really act like this is the first mid-gen refresh.
look what the PS4 Pro did, how it worked... that's exactly how the PS5 Pro does and how it works 🤷

unpatched games get more stable, patched games can use new features. that's it... it's very simple

diffusionx

Gold Member
Most likely:
That's the point of PSSR, though.

Maybe finally we can break away from this obsession with pixels.

Mahavastu

But provide a very clear uplift in visual quality, at double the framerate. Its a pretty impressive upgrade, even if its the same base resolution.
yes of course, PSSR seems to be pretty good :pie_beaming_smiling: :messenger_bicep:
Anyway, the PS5 Pro GPU should be quite a bit faster then the base PS5. Therefore I was really surprised that in most games neither the base resolution was increased nor the settings improved.

I don't understand that, but I hope it is just a very early versions of the PS5 Pro versions and by launch things will be better then only a PSSR patch...

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Has there been any statement on how exactly those games will be affected?

For example, FF7 Remake (not Rebirth), has a Graphics Mode on PS5 which is 4K at 30 fps. If no PS5-pro patch comes out for that, exactly how does the PS5 Pro improve (if at all) the framerate of a game which runs at 30 fps in 'Graphics/Quality Mode'?

Or is the Pro's whole shtick improving the image quality of the 'performance' mode WITHOUT any patches needed by Sony or the devs?

Basically, for a game like FF7 Remake that no PS5 Pro patch has been announced, how exactly does the Pro improve the two visual game modes, if at all?
Stuff that is locked to 30fps will stay that way. It will look and run exactly the same. I don't know if FF7R's performance mode is dynamic or locked, but if it is dynamic you will get improvements.

yes of course, PSSR seems to be pretty good :pie_beaming_smiling: :messenger_bicep:
Anyway, the PS5 Pro GPU should be quite a bit faster then the base PS5. Therefore I was really surprised that in most games neither the base resolution was increased nor the settings improved.

I don't understand that, but I hope it is just a very early versions of the PS5 Pro versions and by launch things will be better then only a PSSR patch...
DFs verdict was that since PSSR is increasing the image so much while doubling the framereate, they are keeping the res the same to leave headroom and maintain the framerate. Which is music to my ears.

RaySoft

PSSR requires a patch, so not part of boost mode. The only thing an unpatched game can benefit from is either higher/more stable clocks, faster RAM bandwidth, faster raster pipeline etc. (the 45% uplift) I'm not sure if the boost mode is a switch? I'm guessing it is, for compatibility reasons. In that state it should behave as a regular PS5. So your answer would be more stable framerate with boost mode more or less hitting the 30 cap in all situations.
Edit: Bloodborne is a locked 30 title, so it will not go past that without a patch.

Last edited:

octos

Neo Member
This is exactly why I've never been a fan of "locked 30fps" games, because new hardware will not be able to offer upgrades without a patch.
Ideally, every game would feature an unlocked fps option at full image quality.

Little Mac

Gold Member
k-pop magic GIF

Tsaki

It doesn't. The Pro Boost mode is likely utilizing the entire GPU to push the older games, while the base PS5 is more limited in its backward compatibility mode

Top Bottom