• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Ippo is out domestically...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjork

I don't keep up with Ippo, but we got the first domestic in today... I guess it's renamed Fighting Spirit or Fighter's Spirit or something? I wonder if this means the US will get the spiffy Ippo toys or not.

We've got a lot of stuff in the last three days or so... Paranoia Agent import, Gungrave domestic, Comic Party 4, Ai Yori Aoshi Ebishi or something like that, Lupin LE that comes with a Choro-Q, GTO manga 19, Hellsing manga 3, etc. Too much to remember, but at least new items keep customers from crying about whether Asuka is hotter than Rei or whatever...

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Hey, how's the dubbing in the US version of Ippo? I can imagine it being kind of fitting, if done well.

Dead

well not really...yet
hahaha 15 volumes at Geneon prices? Who in there right mind would buy this?! ROFL

bjork

Street Date July 6?

Go us, we're over a week early.

Also selling at $24.99, so I dunno what that $29 business is.

PS2 KID

Even less. 20.99 at Amazon and 20.97 at DVD Planet (both need $25 for free shipping so add something or another one for your friend). Or just get it from deepdiscountdvd or digitaleyes if you don't mind waiting paying a little more and a little longer for free shipping.

Meier

hahaha that is some of the worst dubbing I've ever seen. It's on par with shit from the 80s.. just awful -- Takamura's VA doesnt fit his character at ALL. I love Ippo but with Geneon's prices (never lower than 22 bucks even on Deep Discount), I simply will not be buying this series unless there is an act of God involved.

Chrono

Banned
I WANT FEELING
I WANT FEELING
I WANT FEELING

Ippo rocks :D

Though I'm not getting the DVDs. They should inculde more episodes per disk or I'll have to wait until MAYBE some cheap boxsets arrive.. and then see. Also, that dub sucks. It didn't feel like the voice actors are acting but just reading their transcripts with a sprinkle of emotion. What's worse is that those voices and the acting can fit any cheesy dubbed anime-- there's nothing "ippo" about it. It's bad acting. I don't know japanese and yet I can tell from it that the voices and acting quality definitely fit the characters.

Thumbs down.

EDIT: clarified the not buying DVDs thing..

Chrono

Banned
jiji said:
You know the DVDs have Japanese audio with subs, right?

Uh, yeah. That came out wrong. :p

If it's 15 volumes, and at the cheapest prices at Deep Discount DVD of 17.98 $, that would total up to 270 dollars without shipping. That's just too much. And I buy a lot of anime-- just last month I dropped 230 dollars for anime DVDs. If the Ippo series totals up to 170-180 later, I'll definitely buy it.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
God, just watching the trailer made me want to go through Ippo all over again. Oh, and the dubbing was pretty horrible. Such generic voices with very little emotion. :/

Chrono

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
This is the latest OVA release right?

Geneon is just releasing the ippo series AFAIK. There are two ippo ova (champion's road and the other one about the Kimura/Mashiba fight). There's also a special on the last (japanese) DVD that some how counts as episode 76. It has nothing to do with the story as it doesn't continue anything from 75. It's about how Takamura got into boxing. That'll probably be out with the last DVD here too.

Kiriku said:
God, just watching the trailer made me want to go through Ippo all over again. Oh, and the dubbing was pretty horrible. Such generic voices with very little emotion. :/

lol yeah, it brought back all the memories I had watching Ippo.

lordmrw

Can anyone hook me up with a link to a torrent or someting for Ippo? THe only ones on suprnova all have french subtitles. And yeah, I know most people do it over PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom