• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what PSP launch games will you get?

Brofist

Obviously only if you plan on buying one, or at least are on the fence. And for the love of god please keep the battery life, financial talk, and PSP vs. DS in the existing topics.

Me, well Ridge Racer and Minna no Golf are certain purchases. Plus GT4 of course, but it's not launch.

Secondary are MGS Acid (kinda intrigued even though I'm not a fan of the genre), Lumines and maybe Darkstalkers (damn it looks pretty on that screen ;) )

Hell I'm actually pretty interested in that translator game/software (Talkman?). My gf keeps bugging me to improve my Japanese :p

Edit: added list for reference

Launch games

Tiger Woods PGA Tour
Need for Speed Underground Rivals
Vampire Chronicle: The Chaos Tower
Shin Sangoku Musou
Mahjong Taikai
Mahjong Kakutou Club
Metal Gear Acid
Kollon
Puyo Puyo Fever
Doko demo issho
Minna no Golf Portable
Puzzle Bobble Pocket
Kotoba no puzzle mojipittan daijiten
Ridge Racers
Rengoku The Tower of Purgatory
Eiyu Densetsu Gagharv Trilogy
Lumines
Armored Core: Formula Front
AI Igo
AI Shogi
AI Mahjong

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Ridge Racer only so far. I'm interested in Minna de Golf and possibly Lumines but I don't have enough information on those titles to be genuinly interested.

I haven't a clue about the other launch games unfortunately. :(

Brofist

TekunoRobby said:
Ridge Racer only so far. I'm interested in Minna de Golf and possibly Lumines but I don't have enough information on those titles to be genuinly interested.

I haven't a clue about the other launch games unfortunately. :(

but it's Minna on the go! That's all you need to know!

nice rhyme ehhh :p

Elios83

Ridge Racer,Vampire Chronicles and Metal Gear Acid seem really interesting to me among the launch titles but I don't consider them real killer applications.

Insertia

no games region lock-out means I'll be importing from Japan. I'll buy an American one when we see some color variations.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour
Need for Speed Underground Rivals
Vampire Chronicle: The Chaos Tower
Shin Sangoku Musou

Mahjong Taikai
Mahjong Kakutou Club
Metal Gear Acid
Kollon
Puyo Puyo Fever
Doko demo issho
Minna no Golf Portable
Puzzle Bobble Pocket
Kotoba no puzzle mojipittan daijiten
Ridge Racers
Rengoku The Tower of Purgatory
Eiyu Densetsu Gagharv Trilogy
Lumines
Armored Core: Formula Front

AI Igo
AI Shogi

Jonnyram

If by launch you mean the whole of December, fair enough. But there will only be 12 games on sale on the 12th apparently, and these are still unconfirmed, except for MinGol and Toro.

Mrbob

Well I'd like to know what the launch lineup is looking like first in NA.

Having said that, a little over $200 for portable Dynasty Warriors is too good to pass up. WiFi Co-op?

Brofist

Jonnyram said:
If by launch you mean the whole of December, fair enough. But there will only be 12 games on sale on the 12th apparently, and these are still unconfirmed, except for MinGol and Toro.

hehe yeah I guess I used launch kinda loosely. RR should be a definite, no?

Dagon

Now that the hardware is 10,000 yen less than I thought it was going to be I can blow that money on games :D

Planning on getting: Metal Gear Acid, Lumines, Hot Shots Golf

I can't wait for the Ape Escape game too. That was so much fun to play.

Also, I just realized something of interest to those of us in Europe. The AC adapter accepts from 100 to 230 V, which means no converters needed. Hoorary.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
i'll probably be picking one up regardless of region locking, if the import price inflation is kept to a minimum. i guess it depends how much sony decides to "hold back" shipments.

at the moment, though:

vampire chronicle: the chaos tower
puyo puyo fever
puzzle bobble pocket
ridge racer
lumines

i'd like to pick up metal gear acid, but with no working knowledge of the japanese language...eh.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Thanks for providing the list kpop100! I think I'll take this time to research the other games and start preparing my wallet for the weightloss program it's about to go through.

Midas

Serious now!

Is it CONFIRMED wether the games will be regional locked or not? This is quite a big question that is unanswered. Well, I haven't seen it confirmed yet.

Brofist

seismologist said:
Mahjong Taikai
Mahjong Kakutou Club
AI Mahjong

:p

:lol

you know, that sounds like a joke, but right now there are some older Japanese guys who can't sleep knowing the PSP is launching with 3 Mahjong games :p

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Vampire Chronicles...provided SCEA even lets Capcom release it in the states (they better!)

I want Capcom to bring me some SF Alpha, SF Collection, and Marvel (XmenCOTA, MSH, XVSSF, MSHVSSF, MVC, or MVC2) goodness too.

And SNK needs to port every decent NeoGeo fighter.

And Namco needs to bring out a TTT2 or something.

And Sega needs to bring out VF4: Final Tuned.

I'll be in heaven if all that happens (unlikely I know). I would never need another handheld again.

Jonnyram

Mrbob said:
Having said that, a little over $200 for portable Dynasty Warriors is too good to pass up. WiFi Co-op?
Did everyone see this DW pic back when it was released after TGS? I don't recall seeing it back then, but my friend showed me it today:
026.jpg

As for Ridge Racers - based on its state at TGS, I would say it might miss the launch... and actually boutros wasn't too far off when he said developers have told him there's no way the PSP would be out this year - developers are currently in quite a tricky situation regarding the PSP. The launch could turn out very weird.

jarrod

Banned
Provided they make it to US launch...

-Ridge Racers (Namco)
-DarkStalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower (Capcom)
-Hot Shots Golf Pocket (SCEI/Clap Hanz)
-Lumines (Bandai/Q Entertainment)
-Bust-A-Move Pocket (Taito)

... Dynasty Warriors is under consideration but after hearing about the development difficulties (crappy models, sectioned levels, difficult to get framrates up) and seeing that nasty PS1-ish screen of Jonnyram's I dunno? Maybe I'll wait for the 2D strategy focused DS version instead.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I'm not interested in the PSP.

Mrbob

Jonnyram said:
Did everyone see this DW pic back when it was released after TGS? I don't recall seeing it back then, but my friend showed me it today:
026.jpg

As for Ridge Racers - based on its state at TGS, I would say it might miss the launch... and actually boutros wasn't too far off when he said developers have told him there's no way the PSP would be out this year - developers are currently in quite a tricky situation regarding the PSP. The launch could turn out very weird.

I can't see the pic man I'm getting a red x. I've seen some pics and videos. It looks OK. Looks about Dynasty Warriors 2 PS2 level. Maybe a bit worse. I'm not expecting Dynasty Warrors 4 PS2 level experience. Yet. But it'll still look a hell of a lot better than the DS version and at least the PSP version has Omega Force working on it.

jarrod

Banned
Mrbob said:
But it'll still look a hell of a lot better than the DS version and at least the PSP version has Omega Force working on it.
Well, the DS version is most likely a 2D strategy game... Koei's purposely making them entirely different so you'll buy both. :)

And that PSP screenshot looks more like DW1 than DW2. :/

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Since I'll be buying one at the US launch, I'm pretty sure Ridge Racer and HSG will be there, and so will Lumines. Those three are the lock-on purchases for me, especially Lumines. NFSU might or might not be on the list, I'm still not sure, depends on how it turns out at the end.

Oh please, the way he pissed all over that rumor about the price and the games, only to be officially confirmed a day later (at an even lower price) was just hilarious.

I think I'm going to just have to go with Puzzle Bobble here, it's all I can completely come up with out of the list. Though, if I hear good things about Metal Gear, I may go ahead with that.

The Sony specifications says nothing new about regional lockouts. It mentions lockouts just as it did before but doesn't specify if they're for the movie playback or for game playback.

I don't think it's fair to assume that if the UMDs are region locked for movies that they'll be region locked for games as well. Why not just assume that they'll be region locked for music too?

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
+Ridge Racer
+Minna No Golf Portable

Maybe Vampire Chronicle: the chaos tower...

920797_20040929_screen019.jpg

:D

I'm hoping Capcom makes a Monster Hunter Portable for the PSP.

Dynasty Warriors if it looks at all decent. Darkstalkers and Lumines are given. Possibly Ridge Racer as well. I'd get Puyo or Puzzle Bobble, but really, the PSP can't do those games any better than any other portable.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I'm planning on getting a PSP, but no games. I might buy like 2 or 3 games in it's whole life.

I look at the complete lists and I see many high-quality series, but no series that particularly like. The only launch game that seems appealing is possibly The Tower of Purgatory.

Regarding later games, Final Fantasy CC may turn out to be great, but it is pretty far off. The only RPG of note I see is Tales of Eternia, but I don't think I want to play that over again. I like Tenchu games, but I don't see that as a great portable game. When the RPGs and the adventure games release in full force, then I will be interested, but probably not before.

Miburou

If I were to buy a Japanese PSP, I'd probably get Ridge Racer, Metal Gear Ac!d, and Lumines. I think puzzlers work great on handhelds, and I'm intruiged by the music aspect of it.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Yeah, none of those interest me enough to buy a new system. If that's similar to the US launch line-up, I'll just wait for something more compelling.

jiggle

I'm on the fence about importing at the moment, especially if the US version comes out(hopefully with White or Yellow as an option) 4 months after. If I do ask my friend to get me one from HK, I'd buy Gagharv for sure.
And maybe Shin Sangoku Musou, Ridge Racer, and Minna no Golf.

XS+

Banned
Ridge Racer
Never a big Darkstalkers fan but I'll check it out
Lumines

I'm more interested in PSP's music and video capabilities than anything else (I'm gonna do a bit of traveling soon)

Is Highway Battle on the launch list (I guess not)?

Top Bottom