• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So whatever became of 'Chrono Break'?

Vieo

Remember a long time ago there was a big buzz because Square copyrighted something called "Chrono Break" (I think)? Did that ever manifest itself into a game and did Square ever mention anything official about it?

Zilch

Banned
Nothing ever came of it, unforunately. I'd love to see a third Chrono game someday, but I don't think it'll happen soon.

Rahul

Trademark was abandoned in Japan, the US one stands (though for what purpose...).

It's assumed that there was a title in development which was canned as the scenario writer for Chrono Cross, Masato Kato, left Square to be a freelancer. Then he created Baten Kaitos for Monolithsoft, which will be out in December.

SomeDude

Banned
Chrono Cross was my favorite game for PS1. I don't know if I really want a sequel for it. I havn't been impressed with any SquareSoft game since FFX.

WarPig

Hironobu Sakaguchi also claimed at one point that another Chrono game was in the works -- this was at some kind of promotional event put on just before Spirits Within came out. I have it on pretty good authority it was either not true at that point, or caused to be not true shortly afterward as a consequence of the movie's failure, one of the two.

DFS.

Zilch

Banned
WarPig said:
Hironobu Sakaguchi also claimed at one point that another Chrono game was in the works -- this was at some kind of promotional event put on just before Spirits Within came out. I have it on pretty good authority it was either not true at that point, or caused to be not true shortly afterward as a consequence of the movie's failure, one of the two.

DFS.

That's a shame.

Production Team 3 would be making it, but they are too busy with Final Fantasy XI.

Production Team 1 the only other viable option in my opinion is also busy with FFVII compilation, and Kingdom Hearts 2.

neptunes

Galian Beast said:
Production Team 3 would be making it, but they are too busy with Final Fantasy XI.

Production Team 1 the only other viable option in my opinion is also busy with FFVII compilation, and Kingdom Hearts 2.

That's what I meant.
Square as a whole has too much on their plate right now.

Square Soft is great at getting it's fans hopes up and crushing them in one fell swoop every E3 and TGS.

If you like squaresoft you like S&M.

ferricide

Guns N' Poops said:
It would be neat if they'd bring Yuji Horii and Toriyama to take part in the development of the next Chrono, before it's too late.
quite. they should use the DQVIII engine, and get level 5 to code it up.

Top Bottom