• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM 2 Downloads Coming!! (Not just the patch)

Courtesy of DavidDoel at the IGN PS2 boards :)

I got this SOCOM E-Seals Newsletter, which not only mentions the patch (which we all know about) but also some downloads that we will hear more about this month:

KICK UP YOUR HEELS! TIME FOR A NEW ONLINE UPDATE!
That's right! It's finally here...the latest update for SOCOM II online that everyone has been anxiously waiting on for some time now. There will be a new SOCOM II update pushed out to all players on Thursday, September 9, 2004. This update will fix the recent exploits that some players have found and are using to boost their overall stats (i.e rank up rooms). A few of the general issues that are being addressed and fixed are:

Adjusting the parameters for having players vote other players. Voting can no longer be used as an exploit to warn someone that an enemy is behind them. With the new update, you can no longer vote someone when you are watching the player from the dead player spectator mode. So no more using votes to warn the players that someone is behind them.

Fixed the areas where players were getting outside of the map or into specific objects not originally intended by the game's creators.

Resolved a few outstanding disconnect issues

Due to these recent exploits, some players have been able to gain an unfair advantage in the ranking system and therefore we will be resetting the ladder ranking for all players.
So read the fine print...EVERYONE'S STATS WILL BE RESET! So all players will start over as if it's a new release and then can't use rank up rooms to become admirals without going through the trials of battle.

SCEA and Zipper Interactive have continually shown their commitment to making the SOCOM universe the most challenging and fun environment for players possible. Seth Luisi, Senior Producer at Sony Entertainment Corporation America, had this to say regarding these new advancements:

"SCEA and Zipper Interactive, Inc. are committed to supporting the SOCOM II on-line community. With this new SOCOM II update, over 130 different exploits and issues have been resolved. Supporting such a large on-line community has been a challenge, but SCEA and Zipper Interactive are listening to our audience and doing everything we can to improve the SOCOM II on-line play experience.

In addition to this update, we have some exciting new features to announce for SOCOM II in the near future."

Definitely exciting news! So make sure to log on Thursday, September 9th and download your new update...playing never felt so right!

WHAT'S IN STORE FOR THE e-SEALs?
Awww September is here and over at e-SEALs Command this is our favorite time of year: the baseball season is winding down and the wild card starts to take shape making for some interesting divisional races, football season is underway for both college and the pros, and its still nice enough outside to hit the pool or have friends over for a BBQ. But September is also a big time for the SOCOM and e-SEALs communities as things start to gear up for fall fun! Just to keep you all in the loop this is what you can look forward to in our next newsletter:

HDD DOWNLOADS: You heard me right! e-SEALs will give members an exclusive look at the upcoming downloads. Through our incredible powers of persuasion (which basically consists of forcing SCEA and Zipper into a dark room with one single lamp to watch endless reruns of Full House), we have been able to secure information on new maps and other goodies. Online play requires internet connection, memory card (8MB) (for PlayStation 2), and Network Adaptor (for PlayStation 2) (each sold separately). It's gonna be bigger than Mardi Gras, the Fourth of July and the Republican National Convention all rolled into one!

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
HDD DOWNLOADS: You heard me right! e-SEALs will give members an exclusive look at the upcoming downloads. Through our incredible powers of persuasion (which basically consists of forcing SCEA and Zipper into a dark room with one single lamp to watch endless reruns of Full House), we have been able to secure information on new maps and other goodies. Online play requires internet connection, memory card (8MB) (for PlayStation 2), and Network Adaptor (for PlayStation 2) (each sold separately). It's gonna be bigger than Mardi Gras, the Fourth of July and the Republican National Convention all rolled into one!
LIAR!

Nos_G

Ha! I put this up in the Official Socom thread yesterday... just shows you how much ppl check that thread. :p

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Nos_G said:
Ha! I put this up in the Official Socom thread yesterday... just shows you how much ppl check that thread. :p

I saw it before this thread, but didn't bother to reply :p

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Yep. Reset stats + $19.99 price tag = playing with a bunch of newbies

Count me out. Well not like I've been playing much Socom 2 to begin with :p

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Jagernaut said:
Nothing, they're just Xbox fanboys hating on Socom.
No, no - these guys wouldn't be so crass as to suggest that downloadable content could be a good thing on one system but not another. Maybe they just think downloadable content is passe in general and don't want to see such a popular online game like SOCOM 2 rely on this crutch that less popular online games often lean on ;)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Defensor said:
Did you import the Stateside version of SOCOM II... or are you still playing PAL?

I did. But I'm playing PAL now. Or, well, I have been playing SOCOM II till I lost one very important clan war due to some disconnections in my team. I haven't touched the game since then and I really hope this patch/update/whatever is not intended just for the NTSC/US version.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
But will they fix the shitty framerate?

No?

Then fuck this game.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
TTP said:
I did. But I'm playing PAL now. Or, well, I have been playing SOCOM II till I lost one very important clan war due to some disconnections in my team. I haven't touched the game since then and I really hope this patch/update/whatever is not intended just for the NTSC/US version.

Then http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=23 :D

Did you guys even get a patch to download for PAL like we did in early March?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
No. We didn't need to download the patch. The game was already patched when it was released here. In fact, all the issues addressed with the 1st US patch were already adressed in the retail PAL version.

Btw, the US version shows something like "version X.X" at the bottom of the title screen. PAL version doesn't. There's just the copyright. Yet, we had to give that bastard 3MB of our mem cards. Hope this means it can be patched.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Ploid 3.0 said:
I hope they add new maps. I wanna see a BIG mall map. "Defensor, two just went into EB. 206 them >: ) "

They need magazine racks with ragdoll physics to go with that

Top Bottom