• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some clever questions that my dumbass couldn't get right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Below are four (4) questions. You have to answer them instantly. You can't take your time; answer all of them immediately.

Got it? OK - let's find out just how clever you really are. Ready? Scroll down and GO!!

First Question:

You are participating in a race. You overtake the second person. What position are you in?

Answer:
If you answered that you are first, then you are absolutely wrong! If you overtake the second person and you take his place, you are second.

Try not to screw up in the next question. To answer the second question, don't take as much time as you took for the first question.

Second Question:

If you overtake the last person, then you are...?

Answer:
If you answered that you are second to last, then you are wrong again. Tell me: how can you overtake the LAST person?!

You're not very good at this are you?

Third Question:

Very tricky math! Note: This must be done in your head only. DO NOT use paper and pencil or a calculator. Try it.

Take 1000 and add 40 to it. Now add another 1000. Now add 30. Add another 1000. Now add 20. Now add another 1000. Now add 10. What is the total?

Answer:
Did you get 5000? The correct answer is actually 4100. Don't believe it? Check with your calculator.

Today is definitely not your day. Maybe you will get the last question right?

Fourth Question:

Mary's father has five daughters: 1. Nana, 2. Nene, 3. Nini, 4. Nono. What is the name of the fifth daughter?

Answer:
Nunu? NO! Of course not. Her name is Mary. Read the question again.

god I feel dumb

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Beh, my stupid ass read the last one too fast and read it as "My father" instead of "Mary's father". That's the only one I got wrong. Darned words taking so long to read.

edit: Also, my answer to the second was that you can be in any position and just be a lap ahead of the last place person :p

The one that I got wrong was the math question. I'd try to figure out why I got 5000 instead of 4100, but I'm tired and my brain hurts.

Bowser

jlmalone-sml.jpg

I only got the Math one :(

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
The only one I got right was the math one. The others........I'm stupid. :(

Miguel

Well, with my heightened alert with the "I GOT THESE ALL WRONG" warning, I put some quick thought into each question. I actually READ each question completely, and got them all right.

Although, I can imagine I would have missed the last one due to not reading "Mary's father"...but not this time. :p

Eminem said:
Second Question:
Answer:
If you answered that you are second to last, then you are wrong again. Tell me: how can you overtake the LAST person?!

If you were tied for last and pulled ahead of him?

That makes me 4/4 since the second question is wrong.

fart

Savant
got the math one right, but that's the only one that's not a trick question. the other ones are terribly worded as well as being trick questions.

again, artificial problems are retarded

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Error Macro said:
The one that I got wrong was the math question. I'd try to figure out why I got 5000 instead of 4100, but I'm tired and my brain hurts.

10 + 20 + 30 + 40 = 100, not 1000. I had to think about how I kept getting 5000 as well. 4090 + 10 = 4100, not 5000

Kuramu

i coudln't figure out how i got the math one wrong until i did it in sequence again. your mind gets excited at the end when you add 10 to the 90 and you flip the whole score to a satisfying 5000

i got the others right though, but like migual said, because of the warning

Got them all wrong as well. Well, I didn't even bother with the math one - as soon as math was involved I skipped it. It's too late and I'm pretty tired. Even when I'm well rested I don't like math however.

I kept reading the questions wrong because it said to read them quickly.

ChrisReid

Error Macro said:

Hmm.. that's the one I got right. I'm a good head math person though.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"If you were tied for last and pulled ahead of him?

I initially assumed that the answer was 1st - as if you are overtaking the person in last, then you are lapping them.

But then , i though, hold on - you could be any of the other racers in the race and could be overtaking the person in last if you are lapping them.....

then my brain melted down.

Damn! I went with the first answer that popped into my head for each of them and got them all wrong. I had to slowly do the math one three times before I realized my mistake.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Wow, this was dumb. Got the first one "wrong," but it's poorly worded. Caught on for the second question. Math question was easy, and the 4th one was extremely obvious.

EviLore said:
Wow, this was dumb. Got the first one "wrong," but it's poorly worded. Caught on for the second question. Math question was easy, and the 4th one was extremely obvious.

The first one is poorly worded? Lol.

It's just two simple statements and a question.

You are participating in a race. You overtake the second person. What position are you in?

SyNapSe

I missed the 2nd one. The others were easy.

The first was easy... 3rd question.. I don't know how the hell you would get 5000? Unless you counted the 100 as a full 1000?!? I'm not sure what the trick was on that one.

Hmm, reread the 2nd one.. that is very tricky :/

DCharlie said:
"If you were tied for last and pulled ahead of him?

I initially assumed that the answer was 1st - as if you are overtaking the person in last, then you are lapping them.

But then , i though, hold on - you could be any of the other racers in the race and could be overtaking the person in last if you are lapping them.....

then my brain melted down.

While it's true you could be in any position in the race to lap the person in last place. You've done nothing to 'overtake' him in the standings. He'll still be in last place, and your position in the race will not advance because you have passed him.

Seth C

Felidae_Khrall said:
The first one is poorly worded? Lol.

It's just two simple statements and a question.

Second from where? From the back, from the front? You have no way of knowing. It's just the "second person" not "the person in second place."

jenov4

I got the math one correct and the last question. I got messed over with the first two questions. Great stuff... lol

raYne

-#1 wrong, picked 1st like an idiot.
-#2 I said I was in 1st place... that's how you overtake the guy in last (ie lap him). But I guess it depends on your definition of overtake, since you did pass him, but not for "position".
-#3 Got it right.
-#4 Got it right as well.

Great Quiz though.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Ironically, I got the math related one right, and that's by far my weakest subject.

Archaix said:
Beh, my stupid ass read the last one too fast and read it as "My father" instead of "Mary's father". That's the only one I got wrong. Darned words taking so long to read.

edit: Also, my answer to the second was that you can be in any position and just be a lap ahead of the last place person :p

Exact same here.

Hahaha this is great, I just got the math one right. My brain did say 5000, and it didn't make any sense, and I quickly corrected the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom