• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some of the things I learned at Gamestop today

I must really be out of the videogame loop, because I didn't know any of this:

- Yes, both the Panzer Dragoon and DOA LE XBox systems were in fact released in the US. He was positive about the Panzer Dragoon, but had to think for a second before confirming that yes, the DOA XBox was also released here. Bummer I missed these.

- All Nintendo DS games are $50.

- It is very complicated and costly to make games for Nintendo DS, because it uses two screens. This is why the DS games cost more than the GBA.

I'll have to go ask him about the PSP tomorrow or Friday. I didn't want to hear any more from him tonight for fear of my head exploding.

So what are some of the stupidest things you've heard from idiot game store employees?

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
I didn't know this before, but apparently MK: Deception is a good game. Good thing GameStop's there to help me.

snapty00

Banned
GameStop really sucks. I swear, I can't go in there without hearing some lip about why I'm buying a game, why I'm trading in a game, why I should preorder so-and-so games now before they're sold out, why I should get a subscription to so-and-so magazine, etc.

Tortfeasor

gamecube has been discontinued.

There is an adapter to allow you to play PS2 games on your Xbox.

Those are some of the best...

olimario

Banned
You can play Dreamcast games on the PS2 and PS2 games on the Dreamcast.
You can play PSX games on the Dreamcast but not the other way around.

There is a completely virtual reality suit and a fighting game to go along with it, but its only out in Japan.

Ronin

Wow all these stories about EB and GS. I must be lucky. Whenever I go into either store I'm greeted with a "Whats up?". I just say "hey" and move along. They might ask if I need help finding anything. I get what I'm looking for and pay. Sometimes they might make small talk while ringing me up. Thats about it.

You didn't hear it from me, but if the guy I talked to at a game store in LA is right, "Square" is about to "sign a contract" with "Xbox." It's a done deal.

Speevy

Banned
I learned that Halo 2 has 20 million preorders, and will therefore have 20 million in sales, or something like that.

Soul4ger

Kind of unrelated, but I stopped in EB a couple nights ago, and a kid came in to preorder Mario 64 DS, and the assistant manager on duty asked if he had it preordered yet, and the customer said no, because he already had one. She tried to find out how he "got it," but he got real shifty and just said it didn't do him any use, since he didn't have any games yet. You figure if someone was connected enough to get him a system, they could swipe him a copy of Mario, too..

Soul4ger

Kobun Heat said:
You didn't hear it from me, but if the guy I talked to at a game store in LA is right, "Square" is about to "sign a contract" with "Xbox." It's a done deal.

This is definitely one of the most overheard "confirmations." And it has been for like three years now. Figure people would've learned. :p

Teddman

Well, today I learned that Halo 2 has 400 pre-orders at the Pasadena Gamestop, and that they expect 200-300 people to show up at midnight on November 8th.

Actually seems like it might be true.

Soul4ger said:
This is definitely one of the most overheard "confirmations." And it has been for like three years now. Figure people would've learned. :p
I'm just amazed that a nonexistant company can sign a contract with a machine.

Catalyst

Banned
BeOnEdge said:
i was walking down the street once and someone beat me unmerciful. then my SHOES fell off!
That's nothing! I went into my Gamestop today and they actually told me DS games were going to be $50! OMGZ LOLZ WTFZ!1113

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
BeOnEdge said:
i was walking down the street once and someone beat me unmerciful. then my SHOES fell off!

..and then the horse ATE MY SHOE!

ManaByte

Gold Member
I heard that if you don't pre-order Halo 2, MS will put your name in a database and you'll forever be banned from buying the game from any retailer. Gamestop told me, so it must be true!

BeOnEdge

Banned
jimmy1.gif

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
I've been to a bunch of game stores in Manhattan, and I never heard any dumb shit from the employees. They sometimes ask if I want to preorder a game, but that's only if I bring it up first (or if I buy Mario Golf, they'll tell me I can preorder Mario Tennis). If I ask for impressions, they tell me their opinions if they have played it, and what they've heard from customers if not (never told me a bad game was good, or vice versa).

In general New Yorkers are smart, so even our retail employees can do their job properly. The people who have complaints about Gamestop probably have similair feelings about other retailers in their area aswell.

Catalyst

Banned
Sactown said:
I've been to a bunch of game stores in Manhattan, and I never heard any dumb shit from the employees. They sometimes ask if I want to preorder a game, but that's only if I bring it up first (or if I buy Mario Golf, they'll tell me I can preorder Mario Tennis). If I ask for impressions, they tell me their opinions if they have played it, and what they've heard from customers if not (never told me a bad game was good, or vice versa).

In general New Yorkers are smart, so even our retail employees can do their job properly. The people who have complaints about Gamestop probably have similair feelings about other retailers in their area aswell.
Yeah, it's always mad crazy at Gamestop stores. Everywhere. All the ones I've been at have ALL been biased toward Xbox for some reason. Fable this, Brute Force that, and all this other bullshit. They're like every other Xbot, acting like the fucking Xbox is the first system in existence. GRRR. Then once they talked about Nintendo being bought by Microsoft and all this mess.

Gamestop is the stupidest place to discuss games at. Worse than Cloudchaser/Xengamers or Gamefaqs.

Spike

When I was at EB today, they asked me if I wanted to pay another $2 for warranty on my used game purchase, so that if I crack the disc in half, they'll replace it with another one with no questions asked.

When I asked them what happens if they don't have that same game in a year's time, they changed the subject to Halo 2 preordering.

signet

To be fair up till a few days ago DS games were marked $50 on EB/GS websites. Nintendo only recently updated the price for the games. The games are still marked at $40.

I heard a bit of "insider info" a few weeks ago. A customer came in and said he just got back from Japan, he picked up a PS3. The PS3 apparently plays PS2 and Xbox games, go figure...

I must be lucky because the guys at my EB are actually smart and nice. I can talk about DS and PSP with them and they're just as knowledgeable as I am. Of course I think we have a mutual understanding that we both know our shit.

Soul4ger

signet said:
To be fair up till a few days ago DS games were marked $50 on EB/GS websites. Nintendo only recently updated the price for the games. The games are still marked at $40.

I heard a bit of "insider info" a few weeks ago. A customer came in and said he just got back from Japan, he picked up a PS3. The PS3 apparently plays PS2 and Xbox games, go figure...

They very well may have been priced at $50, but, first of all, Nintendo never confirmed that and, second, the employee came up with some theory that they were way more expensive than GBA games because of the second screen. Don't just make stuff up.

teepo

ive been going to all the different ebgames and gamestops here in northern virginia for the past few years and i have never ever heard any stupid shit. their a shit load of them in this area too.

i have had trouble with one employee though for always being a smartass. hate that prick. didn't let me have the doom3 figurine even though i preordered.

Leo

Spike said:
When I was at EB today, they asked me if I wanted to pay another $2 for warranty on my used game purchase, so that if I crack the disc in half, they'll replace it with another one with no questions asked.

When I asked them what happens if they don't have that same game in a year's time, they changed the subject to Halo 2 preordering.

Bah ha ha, that GPG thing is so freaking lame. When we were first told about it at my store, I thought nobody would EVER go for it. Anybody that would care enough to want that kind of coverage is going to care enough to take care of their stuff anyways.

Surprisingly, we've sold lots of them and they're EASY to sell.

Soul4ger

Spike said:

... That's because we don't know what we're going to do. :( However, if you do get the $2 or $3 warranty, and decide to trade the game in before that time, you get an extra $2 or $3 for the guarantee. That, at least, is a nice perk.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i learned that if you dont preorder halo 2 by may of 2003, there was no way youd get the game for possibly as long as a few months after the game was released

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
MarkRyan said:
I didn't know this before, but apparently MK: Deception is a good game. Good thing GameStop's there to help me.

I don't know if something happened between you and someone at Midway (if you actually are at IGN that is...why's the "IGN" from your name gone), but all you seem to do is troll your hate for MK: Deception in at least one thread every day. What's the deal man? :)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
BeOnEdge said:

Look JERKY, I don't need to talk to you.

demi

olimario said:
MOD Chip?

Bleemcast or PcsxDC (google it)

Ronin said:
Wow all these stories about EB and GS. I must be lucky. Whenever I go into either store I'm greeted with a "Whats up?". I just say "hey" and move along. They might ask if I need help finding anything. I get what I'm looking for and pay. Sometimes they might make small talk while ringing me up. Thats about it.

Same here, our stores must be obviously that much better!

Catalyst

Banned
StrikerObi said:
I must be lucky because the guys at my EB are actually smart and nice. I can talk about DS and PSP with them and they're just as knowledgeable as I am. Of course I think we have a mutual understanding that we both know our shit.
Yeah, they give that typical "What's up?" crap...but they're dumbshits and know nothing about gaming in general. They just know what they're told by other dumbshits. Stupid dumbshits. Well...at least around here they are.

shuri

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
I don't know if something happened between you and someone at Midway (if you actually are at IGN that is...why's the "IGN" from your name gone), but all you seem to do is troll your hate for MK: Deception in at least one thread every day. What's the deal man? :)

He has 109 posts, but over 30 of those posts are mk-hate related!

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
* WORLD SMASH!

* Microsoft is buying Sega. (This was told to me when I went in to buy F-Zero GX)

* "Yeah, we sold a few N-Gage systems."

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Soul4ger said:
Well, no one in America cares about the "Enix" part, anyway. :p

Now it may just be the schnapps, but I'm loving Dragon Warrior 7!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Today I was looking at the the upcoming game skus today and apparently Super Mario 64 is coming for the Lynx on November 22 2004. Nintendo DS pwned!!

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
DavidDayton said:
* WORLD SMASH!

* Microsoft is buying Sega. (This was told to me when I went in to buy F-Zero GX)

* "Yeah, we sold a few N-Gage systems."

Well MS was buying Sega at one point....

scola said:
Today I was looking at the the upcoming game skus today and apparently Super Mario 64 is coming for the Lynx on November 22 2004. Nintendo DS pwned!!

Yeah, I thought it was funny that they used the Lynx skus. I also noticed that alot of the 3rd party title skus (mostly EA games) are listed at $39.99, whereas the 1st party games were $29.99. Are these really the MSRPs?

Top Bottom