• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mega Collection Plus games revealed...

jarrod

Banned
Don't know if it's old or not but here's the final game list....

Genesis
-Sonic the Hedgehog
-Sonic the Hedgehog 2
-Sonic the Hedgehog 3
-Sonic & Knuckles
-Sonic 3D Blast
-Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball
-Dr Robotnick's Mean Bean Machine
-Flicky
-Ristar
-Comix Zone
-The Ooze

Game Gear
-Sonic the Hedgehog
-Sonic Chaos
-Sonic Drift
-Sonic Labyrinth
-Dr. Robotnik s Mean Bean Machine
-Sonic Blast

...Sonic Team fucks up by skiping on Sonic CD & Chaotix yet again. Why are Game Gear games in a Mega Collection anyway? :/

Suerte

Hardly surprising, maybe the XBox will get Sonic Mega Collection Extra Plus Plus and then we might get Sonic CD

gunstarhero

God - what is the problem with Sonic CD - it's argubly the best in the series. And it's a new game to most people because it was on Sega CD - you would think SOMEONE at Sega would realize the value here.

cvxfreak

jarrod said:
...Sonic Team fucks up by skiping on Sonic CD & Chaotix yet again. Why are Game Gear games in a Mega Collection anyway? :/

Well, it of course relates to the actual meaning of the word "mega" rather than the name "Mega Drive."

jarrod

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
Well, it of course relates to the actual meaning of the word "mega" rather than the name "Mega Drive."
I don't think so... I've always thought "Mega" directly related to it being a collection of MegaDrive games. But why not Mega CD or Mega 32X games then... why Game Gear (or Kids Gear as Sega later rebranded it) stuff? :(

jarrod

Banned
DCX said:
Comix Zone OWNED, but why in a Sonic collection?? Ristar??

DCX
Comix Zone and The Ooze were in the JP/EU GC Sonic MC release too.

Error Macro said:
I'm not understand these. Were they developed by Sonic Team?
Kinda... Ristar & Flicky had many of the same people from Sonic Team working on them. Comix Zone & The Ooze came from STI, who started out as Sonic Team USA (they also made Sonic Spinball, Garfield and a few other games as well as working on Sonic 2-3 with Sonic Team Japan).

NWO

LOL at all the people who thought that Sega was going to put Sonic CD on this.

IT'S SEGA PEOPLE. THEY AREN'T SMART!!!!

I remember people bitching and saying the small Cube disks were the reason why Sonic CD wasn't included on the Cube one. WHAT'S THE EXCUSE NOW??? Are Sony's disks too small?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
sega have always cited the difficulty of coding a sega cd emulator as the reason for sonic cd's absence. and i realize that "sega is stupid" is a response as deeply conditioned as "nintendo is kiddy" or "microsoft is evil," but i don't think this is really a bad business decision - sonic cd only makes or breaks this compilation in the minds of a tiny subset of hardcore gamers. it's a pretty generous compilation sonic cd or no, and it sold pretty well on gc. if coding a sega cd emulator would have involved any substantial expense or time, then it probably wasn't worth it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm not a big fan of Sonic CD, to tell you the truth (I've gone over the finer points of my argument manytimes), but it is still disappointing to see it missing ONCE AGAIN. I know they got Steve Snake to help out with a PC collection, why not try contacting the guy(s) behind GENs? Their 32x and SegaCD emulation is almost flawless!

jcjimher

As far as I know, Sega used KGen (Steve Snake emulator) as a basis for the Sega Smash Pack for the PC, which included a couple Genesis games. Much later Steve Snake released Kega, an emu with Sega CD/32x support.

More recently, Sega used Gens (the current best Genesis/Sega CD/32X emu, made by a French guy named Stef) as the basis for the service of downloading and playing Genesis games through Real Player or something like that. And if I'm not mistaken, this was after Gens had support for the Sega CD and 32X.

I know both emulators are mainly programmed in X86 assembler, and porting them to the PS2 or Gamecube wouldn't be direct, but at least they have collaborated with both authors before.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
What is it with 3rd parties and the GC?

"Wtf. Our game didn't sell on it? Let's pull out of developing for GC" (All american 3rd parties)

"Cool. Our game's a hit. Let's port it to other consoles, with more stuff!" (Case in point, Sonic Mega Collection, Tales of Symphonia)

I just can't understand why only half of the Game Gear games are on there. Is there any excuse for that, really?

I really hope the unlocking scheme is less painful and in some way based around actually playing the games this time. Entering and exiting a game 50 times wasn't exactly my idea of fun the first time around. :(

Saturnman

Banned
I'm glad I still have all the interesting games from that collection: the originals, the copies to play on emu and even Sonic Jam.

Sonic Mega Collection was redundant and disappointing to begin with.

puck1337

GaimeGuy said:
What is it with 3rd parties and the GC?

"Wtf. Our game didn't sell on it? Let's pull out of developing for GC" (All american 3rd parties)

"Cool. Our game's a hit. Let's port it to other consoles, with more stuff!" (Case in point, Sonic Mega Collection, Tales of Symphonia)
Companies like to make money.

belgurdo

Banned
I can kinda see the reasoning behing skipping Sonic CD/Chaotix/Segasonic again (all that time spent making an emulator for ONE game for a compilation that will sell at the most 300000 copies? No point from a financial standpoint) but it's a little disappointing. There's always Gens though

cvxfreak

jarrod said:
I don't think so... I've always thought "Mega" directly related to it being a collection of MegaDrive games. But why not Mega CD or Mega 32X games then... why Game Gear (or Kids Gear as Sega later rebranded it) stuff? :(

Well it doesn't help your case that it wasn't called that in America. :p

SA-X

I was holding out on buying the GC SMC in hopes that the PS2 version would have Sonic CD. I guess I'll go out and buy the GC version today then.

Andy787

Banned
I dunno, I was waiting to pick up SMAC for the Cube until I saw what was in the PS2 version, and this is pretty damn cool to me. It'll be worth getting for the PS2 to me, if only for the addition of Comix Zone and the fact that I can't find SMAC without the Player's Choice branding anymore. It'll be nice checking out the GG games that I hadn't played, too, and I've never played Ristar either. $20 bucks seems like a great deal to me.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I avoided getting the Cube version simply because I thought the PS2 version was going to receive Sonic CD. So now it seems to only have Comix Zone and The Ooze, should I even bother waiting?

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
244473.jpg

This expanded collection is the perfect compliment to the recently released Sonic Heroes action game. In Sonic Mega Collection Plus, players of all ages will enjoy working through Sonic s early adventures, experiencing the classic titles that turned the blue dude with a tude into one of the first videogame superstars.

* Includes seven of the most-loved Sonic games of all time, including: Sonic The Hedgehog, Sonic The Hedgehog 2, Sonic The Hedgehog 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic The Hedgehog Spinball and Dr. Robotnik s Mean Bean Machine, plus three Sonic lock-on games (from Sonic & Knuckles).

* Unlockable SEGA Genesis games include The Ooze, Comix Zone, Flicky, and Ristar .

* Six hidden SEGA Game Gear games: Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Drift, Sonic Labyrinth, Dr. Robotnik s Mean Bean Machine, Sonic Blast.

* Re-designed interface and additional all-new bonus materials.

Total-ass lame! Only 6 Game Gear games!???? There were 12 Game Gear games on the freakin' Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut disk!!!! Why the half-assness!??? Stupid, stupid Sonic Team! :\

robot

And theyre hidden, which sucks ass. I'm still trying to unlock Ristar in the GC version, u have to play like every game 30 times or something.

jarrod

Banned
robot said:
And theyre hidden, which sucks ass. I'm still trying to unlock Ristar in the GC version, u have to play like every game 30 times or something.
It's worth it. Ristar is easily the high point of Mega Collection.

BuddyC

robot said:
Man, that's simple. Just go into the game and exit. After a few minutes, you'll have your sweet Ristar love.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm still buying it...only $19.99.

Ranger X

fuck man Sonic Team just can't do something right... How hard is to have a Sonic Collection with Sonic CD on it god damned!?
What the fuck with other games than Sonic?
"Most loved Sonic games..." my ass... who loves Sonic Spinball more than Sonic CD here?

There's so many game coming in November anyway... Fuck Sonic Mega Collection +

swoon

i mean does anyone remember how awful the ooze really was? i mean god damn. that and red zone were the last games i played on the genesis *shudder*

robot

BuddyChrist83 said:
Man, that's simple. Just go into the game and exit. After a few minutes, you'll have your sweet Ristar love.

I did that, after awhile it gets very annoying. But knowing the game is that good will give me new strength!

AniHawk

Sega Collection 2:

Sonic World from Sonic Jam
Sonic R
Sonic the Fighters
Knuckles Chaotix
Segasonic the Hedgehog
Sonic CD
Sonic Shuffle
NiGHTS
Christmas NiGHTS

MAKE IT SO, SEGA.

Link316

Banned
AniHawk said:
Sega Collection 2:

Sonic R
Sonic the Fighters
Knuckles Chaotix
Segasonic the Hedgehog
Sonic CD
Sonic Shuffle
NiGHTS
Christmas NiGHTS

MAKE IT SO, SEGA.

Sega Ages, you are my only hope...

BuddyChrist83 said:

A few minutes? I did the unlocking a few weeks ago and it took me about 3 hours of nothing but solid entering and exiting. I finally put on a movie way across the room on my PC, and sat there watching it from afar while going through the robotic motions. It fucking sucked. When I finally got Ristar I was so sick of the whole thing that I played it once for about 20 seconds and stopped, exhausted.

BuddyC

bobbyconover said:
A few minutes? I did the unlocking a few weeks ago and it took me about 3 hours of nothing but solid entering and exiting. I finally put on a movie way across the room on my PC, and sat there watching it from afar while going through the robotic motions. It fucking sucked. When I finally got Ristar I was so sick of the whole thing that I played it once for about 20 seconds and stopped, exhausted.

Shhh. I remember when I got SMC it took me two or three sessions of at least 20 minutes to get everything unlocked - you're right, it's awful. Ristar is worth it though, assuming you forget the monotony of what was required to play it (and that's AFTER paying for the game).

Tellaerin

It could be worse, you know. Sega could be re-releasing all the Sonic games individually for the GBA at $20 a pop. :p While I was really hoping that Sonic CD would be part of the package myself, it's still a terrific bargain as-is, especially considering some of the nostalgia-milking I've seen of late.

jarrod

Banned
AniHawk said:
Sega Collection 2:

Sonic R
Sonic the Fighters
Knuckles Chaotix
Segasonic the Hedgehog
Sonic CD
Sonic Shuffle
NiGHTS
Christmas NiGHTS

MAKE IT SO, SEGA.
I'd rather get a Sonic Team Collection...

-Sonic CD
-Sonic 3D Blast (Saturn version)
-Sonic R
-NiGHTS... into dreams
-Christmas NiGHTS
-Burning Rangers
-Chu-Chu Rocket!
-Samba de Amigo
-Samba de Amigo Ver 2000

....the DC games could be easily recoded, while Sega CD/Saturn are emulated.

Top Bottom