• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOGB

Banned
Nintendo likes to reinvent the wheel.

Every. Single. Time.

I wish Nintendo wasn't at the beck and call of Miyamoto and would actually pay attention to the West once in a while.
At least when Mario & Luigi does it the results are still pretty damn good.

Guess the third Sonic game is NOT coming this year.
Alpha Dream needs to finish Mario & Luigi Dream Team before they move on to Mario & Sonic RPG

qq more

hXaJn0j.gif

Funny point regarding Graces, after I finished it I wondered if I ever posted in one of the few LTTP threads for that game, a quick check proves that I did indeed...and it was YOUR thread.
I could finally remove your spoiler bars.

I've been playing Super Metroid all day yesterday. Such a fun game!

This reminds me, i'm having to try and damn near force a friend of mine to download that for 30P, I mean why should such a task be hard to pull off, it's Super Metroid, and it's 30 flippin' pence!
And yes this person did enjoy Prime and Zero Mission which makes this trial all the more confounding.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Also that river raft level with the fish chasing you. That is the absolute worst level in the whole Mario series.
Okay, that was pretty damn terrible. I'm not gonna defend that level at all. Weirdly-designed.

Is it weird that the thing that jumps out as most disagreeable in the post is that you think the final boss was good? Because I hated it. A lot. And that's from a guy who actually kinda liked the game in general.
That's pretty fair, actually. I'd said that I was glad that the game gave me the boss fight that I'd finally wanted, but others definitely wouldn't feel the same at all. I liked that the environmental cues factored into it (ex:
use some sort of ability that is a sealer like the tape or the stapler to seal the doors to prevent more enemies, Eekhammers are multi-hit attacks which inflict crumple, use them to knock the stupid thing down and then scissors to go in for an easy kill; in the lava area use something cold to freeze everything and then knock the environmental fireballs into Bowser, etc
). It's stuff like that I wanted to see more and more of.

With that said, some of it is pretty obtuse, and the game doesn't always make it obvious when the environment would factor into the fight and when it doesn't. I can definitely see why people genuinely dislike the boss.

Yeah, that's qq more. Get it right, people!

I have only played the first Paper Mario game, so my opinion on the franchise is somewhat limited. I thought the game was good, but I prefer M&L more (in fact, I started playing again the other day). It's always a shame to hear that Sticker Star wasn't as good as it could have been, though. I just hope that Dream Team delivers.
Hahaha. But I'm more verbose and more... overbearing about it, I guess.

With respect to Paper Mario, I do think that everyone should play TTYD at some point. I like how that game is designed, I like the characters, the pacing, the battle system, etc. It's genuinely enjoyable, and it's genuinely one of the games that made me happy that the Wii was backwards-compatible.

Regarding M&L, I'm probably one of the few who thinks that all three of the games were fairly solid. I loved all of them equally, even if the third one takes precedence for me. It'll be interesting to see whether or not the next one is going to top Bowser's wackiness from the third one. With that said, though, man, I think it's time for Wario and Waluigi to get an RPG to themselves. Just once. I think it'd be genuinely funny.

Also Lightning Lord, play TTYD!
He'll play it when you finally beat Sonic Colours and Sonic 2.

That "Miyamoto needs to take a seat somewhere" thread was fucking amazing.
I missed this thread. :O

That tome was dropped with such weight that the earth itself quivers, which is to say that was a big one!
The moment the sticker mechanic was revealed my interest in Sticker Star fell off the map never to recover, not a game I can actually judge having never played it but everything I read about it ensures that I keep my distance, well until the potential £10 price at least.

Speaking of recently completed games so far this week I finished up Tales of Graces F (minus epilogue stuff) and Bioshock Infinite as of about an hour ago, guess i'll whip up a little writeup for each of them some point soon, please understand that you'll just have to wait a little longer.
I wanted that tome to be finished in time for when I wanted to start posting on GAF again, and also because I'd missed writing posts like these so darn much. I'm glad it made the proper impact. Yes, with respect to Sticker Star, it deserves either a rent, or wait until it goes budget (should Nintendo ever decide to use a budget line again outside of Nintendo Selects). Because reactions towards the game are so mixed, it isn't an across-the-board "if people don't like it, you won't like it either" because that isn't so. It simply never clicked with me, but it may click with others. Perhaps even yourself.

I am enthusiastic to see what you think of those two games. I can't play Infinite, but everyone has varying opinions on it. And I've noticed that I've gotten more games finished lately! I'm so happy about that. I should be finished Ni no Kuni soon. If I decide not to platinum it because zzzzzzzz. Either way, PLEASE BE EXCITED.

My cousin gave me his copy of Tomb Raider PS3 the other day since he decided he was done with it halfway through. Oh dear.

We want to desig..

* miyamoto breaks in*

Nope Miyamoto time.

That was it.
Hahahahahahaha! Alright, I have no idea why, but this made me laugh pretty hard. I just had the mental picture of him breaking in through the wall, and knocking over some tables with a smile on his face, shouting, "NOPE, MIYAMOTO TIME!".

I think the time away from GAF did me some good. Now to just stay the hell away from Gaming Side before/during/after E3 like I do every year for my own sanity. :D

My cousin game me his copy of Tomb Raider PS3 the other day since he decided he was done with it halfway through. Oh dear.
Speaking of, I've been playing through the first one a bit more. The PC version is a lot more bearable than the Saturn one... not because the Saturn one is totally inept or anything (no more than the PS1 version is, and that one's not particularly inept either), but rather, because this is a game where one mistake with a jump - which, given its very specific jumping mechanics, is more often than I'd particularly care for - can spell your immediate demise, having your saves limited to select spots, from where you can save once and only once, means repeating insane amounts of the stages. In contrast, the PC has save-anywhere, so I can just kinda save scum my way through it like I would a Half-Life game or similar. The fact that the DOSBox GLIDE implementation allows me to run it in HD (albeit 4:3 HD) kinda helps too.

It's a very picky game, where your jumps have to be fairly precise and actually take a bit of planning to pull off, considering the fairly rigid controls and grid-based level design that work with it. Normally, I'd hate that kind of thing, but I actually kinda like it in Tomb Raider. Provided I don't have to FIGHT anything (the autoaim is kinda appreciated, but I don't really have any good strategy to fights other than "find somewhere where they can't reach me and shoot from there", or for enemies that can shoot at me, "jump around like an idiot and hope they don't hit me much"), those strict jumping mechanics are actually kinda fun.

I've made it to Egypt for the first time ever. My last attempts tended to stop immediately after reaching St. Francis's Folly. This is uncharted territory. (And, unlike the reboot, not Uncharted territory.) :O

...although I should probably finish Dust first. Kinda feel like I owe it to Noogy, even though I reeeaaally don't.

Well he at least played a good Metroid game in Zero Mission.
Yeah, and he also played a GREAT one!

I wanted that tome to be finished in time for when I wanted to start posting on GAF again, and also because I'd missed writing posts like these so darn much. I'm glad it made the proper impact. Yes, with respect to Sticker Star, it deserves either a rent, or wait until it goes budget (should Nintendo ever decide to use a budget line again outside of Nintendo Selects). Because reactions towards the game are so mixed, it isn't an across-the-board "if people don't like it, you won't like it either" because that isn't so. It simply never clicked with me, but it may click with others. Perhaps even yourself.

I am enthusiastic to see what you think of those two games. I can't play Infinite, but everyone has varying opinions on it. And I've noticed that I've gotten more games finished lately! I'm so happy about that. I should be finished Ni no Kuni soon. If I decide not to platinum it because zzzzzzzz. Either way, PLEASE BE EXCITED.

I'm still a bit conflicted as to how I feel about Infinite so in a way i'm looking forward to writing something up.
And for your own good i'd say to not bother platinum something you're not really enjoying, I mean surely this makes sense on some level, you must resist the platinum allure!

My cousin gave me his copy of Tomb Raider PS3 the other day since he decided he was done with it halfway through. Oh dear.
Well that's always promising.
Tomb Raider looks like a selection of my most disliked game tropes from big games this gen wrapped up in one desperate grab for sales package, morbid curiosity is the one thing that would have me playing it.

I actually thought Tomb Raider looked pretty rad when it was first revealed, but by the time release came around, I couldn't be arsed to care anymore.

qq more

Time Attacking Sonic 1 (2013). I can confirm that Marble Zone 1 is really fucking boring and frustrating to Time Attack in.

Act 2 is somewhat a pain too, but you can still at least speed through half of the segments easily.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That's because I decided to come back and adjust prior to E3. I wasn't going to take that long of a break, Coldman. With that said, I might post sparingly for a while.

And honest to God? I have had it up to here with people talking about avatar bets.

Time Attacking Sonic 1 (2013). I can confirm that Marble Zone 1 is really fucking boring and frustrating to Time Attack in.

Act 2 is somewhat a pain too, but you can still at least speed through half of the segments easily.
I told you 'bout dat Marble Zone, qq. I told you, son.

I told you.​

Ah, of course I missed this. I was too busy celebrating Beefmas. :)

This thread's first couple of pages look bananas, though.

In contrast, the PC has save-anywhere, so I can just kinda save scum my way through it like I would a Half-Life game or similar. The fact that the DOSBox GLIDE implementation allows me to run it in HD (albeit 4:3 HD) kinda helps too.

It's a very picky game, where your jumps have to be fairly precise and actually take a bit of planning to pull off, considering the fairly rigid controls and grid-based level design that work with it. Normally, I'd hate that kind of thing, but I actually kinda like it in Tomb Raider. Provided I don't have to FIGHT anything (the autoaim is kinda appreciated, but I don't really have any good strategy to fights other than "find somewhere where they can't reach me and shoot from there", or for enemies that can shoot at me, "jump around like an idiot and hope they don't hit me much"), those strict jumping mechanics are actually kinda fun.
I've only played the PC version in the past and I definitely appreciated the save anywhere feature more than anything else. Heck, I loved playing on the PC back then in general, because things were easy to save and the framerate was generally excellent (shoot, I played FF7 all the way through on there for my first complete playthrough).

As for me, I liked the jumping mechanics in that game, myself. Though I haven't played it in a long time, so perhaps I'd feel differently now.

I'm still a bit conflicted as to how I feel about Infinite so in a way i'm looking forward to writing something up.
And for your own good i'd say to not bother platinum something you're not really enjoying, I mean surely this makes sense on some level, you must resist the platinum allure!

Well that's always promising.
Tomb Raider looks like a selection of my most disliked game tropes from big games this gen wrapped up in one desperate grab for sales package, morbid curiosity is the one thing that would have me playing it.
Well, yes, I want to see what you think of Infinite because I know a few people who have mixed feelings about it, themselves (ie: they don't think it's as significant after having played other games which deal with similar subject matter, and that's perfectly fine).

If by the end of the game, I'm close to getting the platinum (and if my "get all the RPG platinums" mentality kicks in), I might just do it. If not, well. Bleh. I don't need that (I'll probably become stubborn and do it anyway).

Haha, my cousin didn't want to protect me from the game, I guess! I suppose that he figured I should play it and get the Square-Enix code from the box. I dunno. I hear from some folks that it's good and others that it ain't that great. Honestly, the only thing I remember about it is the Conan O'Brien thing!

Well good! You're kinda the heart and soul of this place. As evidenced by your tomes.

We are the bindings that hold the sheets of scripture together, actually Sonic Gaf is more the well built book case that stores the volumes but the first one makes the rest of us sound more important to the process.

I have to say, I like how the use of tomes has become a thing.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Haha, you guys are making me blush, but I think the rest of you do a fine job holding everything together as evidenced by the past few days, and as usual!

And gosh, I like how "tomes" have become a thing, too. But it's because the rest of you write verbose postings as well! I think most of you are well-spoken.

That's why I plan to keep avatar bets private from now on.
(And I was kidding about forcing an avatar bet on you)

Never said it was a good level to speed through!
Pfft. But ya still like the darn thing.

Also, yes, try to keep them to PMs for a little bit if ya could. I think avatar bets have become a trend on the board and it's boring to watch people discussing it for posts and pages.

qq more

Pfft. But ya still like the darn thing.

Yeah... but as a platforming level! Never as a speeding level! I always thought it was so awful to speed run in. Only way to actually enjoy the level is to play it with a slow pacing platformer mindset.

Also, yes, try to keep them to PMs for a little bit if ya could. I think avatar bets have become a trend on the board and it's boring to watch people discussing it for posts and pages.
I've noticed people were getting a bit annoyed about that, so that's why I've PMed tigger about the next bet er I mean uh what?

I started this write up after having my midnight snack and Zesty Lemon Tea (absolutely recommended by the way, the scent alone is worth it), that was like over an hour and a half ago so i've said more than I expected to here. Anyway Bioshock is up first, Graces will have to wait for tomorrow, i'll have more to say about that one I wager.

Bioshock Infinite
(spoiler free! unless you find a few ability detailing spoilers I guess)

Earlier this year I played through Bioshock 2 for the first time and safe to say I was not impressed, it made me question whether I actually really liked the first game that much or if I was just wowed by its setting and early gen visual prowess, which is funny in a way as the early parts of Infinite involved me being ensnared by the setting and art direction of Infinite’s main setting of Columbia.
Screenshots really don’t do the game justice, visually spectacular is a term I’d use to describe Infinite, every area looks like it was designed with care, outlandish and extravagant sculptures form the centerpiece of colourful plazas, blinding heavenly light beam through windows illuminating ornate corridors, you get the idea, I could wax poetic about this games art direction all day long, it’s just lovely to see such a setting so well realized and brought to life.

So I spent the opening gawking at my surroundings, taking it all in, knowing that soon enough the shootbang would commence. Now to preface this I find the other two Bioshock games pretty poor in the combat department, it mostly consisted of me wrenching/drilling everything as the shooting just felt unsatisfying, when Infinite first threw me into a shootout I was pleasantly surprised to find that the whole shooting business has been greatly refined. It’s far from perfect but there’s satisfaction to the proceedings, enemies flinch more, aiming seems improved, the guns just feel more enjoyable to use and for once a regenerating shield (in conjunction with a standard health bar) is something I’m celebrating the inclusion of as Infinite still dips its toes into maddening messy shootouts where bullets whiz in from all directions as you scramble for a safe spot to gain your bearings.
Infinite carries over many combat ideas from the previous games, Plasmids are now Vigors, Clothing replaces Tonics, Skyhook is your wrench and you can still upgrade the various guns. What has changed here is a streamlining of these ideas, only two weapons at a time, less crazy supernatural like tricks overall, one could view this as being dumbed down but I found that focus on fewer vigors with each one feeling more realized and useful enough to keep them all in circulation was an improvement, though I’m all about the murder of Crows which works well with a shotgun spree. The various more supplementary abilities offered through clothing were a bit hit and miss, a lot of the early ones are preferable to those gained later in the game, but as a man who loves his melee it’s good to see a lot of these abilities were tailored to aid in walloping foes to greater effect and lesser risk, oh and the hat that gives you superspeed when your shield goes down is just amazing, combine with the upgraded charge vigor that regains the shield upon successful use and all of a sudden you can turn getting caught with your pants down to your advantage, or just leg it to cover at superspeed.
The sky rails make for a rather automated yet exhilarating addition to all this allowing you to launch yourself at high speed off a rail down into an enemy’s face hook first. Throw in your partners ability to use “tears” to pull in one of the various environmental aids found in combat focused areas means you can say be zooming across a rail, pulling a drone gun in through a tear, leap off the rail onto some unfortunate fellows face meeting the clothing criteria of killing with excessive force to electrocute everyone in the vicinity of the initial victim and then blast heads open with a handcannon as crows peck their faces off, I can get down with this.
Of course it’s more flash than actual substance, the overall combat can still fall victim to annoyance, enemy waves, your spongy types and areas that just don’t offer as much fun options to toy with, point is there’s fun to be had here yet the second half of the game unfortunately falls to the more must be better mantra and tends to just start throwing lots of shit at you all at once, the very last combat section of the game in particular I found utterly awful and an incredibly sour note to finish things on.

So aside from brutalizing enemies you’ll once again be trawling through boxes and shelves hovering up anything and everything in the quest for more money, listening to conveniently abandoned and plot relevant audio to piece together the story, and journeying through linear areas that try to pass themselves off as being more open than they actually are, so far so Bioshock then (hey I already used that line for BS2!) but Infinite still makes small improvements in these parts as well, audio stuff doesn’t drone on so much and is more to the point, there’s less crap to rummage through overall or at least you can just mash the take all button to no negative consequence and it tends to take more advantage of its mostly linear progression, after all retreading previous ground in a game that doesn't specifically design itself in a way to benefit from it is probably worse than a more linear approach.

I’m going to step aside from any proper plot and character related details here, I can say that I did enjoy the tale Infinite told, the ending is one of those ones that will stick with you and it has an enjoyable cast. Briefly stepping into music, there is some clever use of licensed tracks in this game and even if the music comes from a time period after this game it still manages to work for various reasons, Infinite uses music to great effect to compliment the action on screen from the serene to the intense so kudos on that part as well.

So far I’ve had a lot of praise for Infinite so what is it that has me conflicted on how I feel about it? Well it feels like the games strongest parts are all in its first half and the second half comes across a lot weaker by comparison outside of a few moments which are strong related to the plot as opposed to gameplay related strength, the combat starts taking the stage far more often and begins degenerating itself into repetition or confusing messes (those bloody ghost things), the world building starts taking a backseat to other plot details which while undertsndable feels a bit of a missed opportunity. It’s kind of tricky to put my finger on the main issue but well the original Bioshock is pretty notorious for falling into what appears to be a filler rush job towards the end, while Infinite doesn’t drop to those lows there’s certainly something that reminds me of the first games decent here as well, like the game running out of steam and trying to keep on trucking, the videogame laws of escalation meaning more scuffles HAVE to be the solution because that’s like epic and stuff right? and as I stated earlier the final part of the game I really did not like at all and was a prime moment that encapsulated these issues instead of being a rip roaring finish on the gameplay front, the plot side of things delivered here at least.

Keeping in mind for a moment that Infinite is one of the highest scoring titles of the generation and probably THE GotY front runner at the moment, do I think it meets that level of hype? No, the gameplay still needs work, the focus on combat alongside the world itself and how its presented at points can create a bit of dissonance and the more unique and fresh feeling some of the early stages of the game had are lost towards the end turning to more expected FPS shenanigans. Infinite is a game that thrives upon its presentation, the sights, the sounds, the allure and mystery of the story, so I guess that makes it a pretty fitting follow up to the original Bioshock, at the same time I found Infinite to improve on Bioshock in many ways, most importantly in the gameplay so i'd sooner be up in the clouds than under the sea, it looks a lot nicer to boot.
So yeah, it’s an enjoyable game that I’d absolutely recommend playing, just temper your expectations, I always do whenever any game gets the starring role in the 10 outta 10 AAA circus and it has served me well so far.
Also Songbird is so awesome, I love that thing, suck it Big Daddy your time is up.

I actually get to fight a Big Daddy though...

Biggest waste of potential in the whole game.

I could never fight such a majestic creature! actually they should've made it the final boss or something considering the setting was perfect for such a thing and would surely beat what we actually got.

Noi

I could never fight such a majestic creature! actually they should've made it the final boss or something considering the setting was perfect for such a thing and would surely beat what we actually got.

Well yeah, that's what I actually expected. Bioshock 2 managed to have a final "encounter" that felt right, but it seems they were still too afraid from the first game's shittacular boss to do anything with it even though they actually had a legit "enemy" to use for it this time.

Oh, it's a giant empty courtyard on a ship with tons of space, this is the perfect spot to finally have the ultimate showdown with Songbi-Oh, wait, no, Elizabeth just pulls out a a magic Fluteguffin that can control songbird, have some more generic enemy wave combat as the final boss instead.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Y'know, I went back to Ni no Kuni, got bored while playing it (surprise, surprise; this surprises no one), checked my trophy list, realized I hadn't gotten 100% on Costume Quest on this PSN account, so I'm playing that instead.

Costume Quest isn't bad, but that game does not have any respect for a player's time at all (unnecessary lengthy scenes at times), and the music was probably my biggest disappointment from what I can recall. I remember being so psyched for it after looking at the Quick Look for it a few years ago. And I think the reason why I stopped playing it on this account was something about some glitch which rendered the game unbeatable or some nonsense? I didn't install the patch which caused the glitch from what it seems, so I wonder if I was overly cautious.

Also a certain someone's trying to get me to install Toro's Friend Network on my Vita, and I'm trying to resist. I'd have to quit out of Zero no Kiseki: Evolution and I'm not in a position to save at the moment, from what it seems.
UVfD5Gb.gif

Yeah... but as a platforming level! Never as a speeding level! I always thought it was so awful to speed run in. Only way to actually enjoy the level is to play it with a slow pacing platformer mindset.
Pfft. I don't think I could ever do that, myself, considering the levels which sandwich it. One's fast-paced, and the other is a little slower-paced, but it still introduces the idea that Sonic is a pinball, and it gives you an ample amount of ramps and U-shaped areas to gain speed for certain things.

Marble Zone, by contrast, is all... blocky, and outside of the outer hill areas, it's difficult to gain enough momentum to use rounded parts of hilly portions for higher jumps for a faster run.

I started this write up after having my midnight snack and Zesty Lemon Tea (absolutely recommended by the way, the scent alone is worth it)[
Sounds delicious.

Screenshots really don’t do the game justice, visually spectacular is a term I’d use to describe Infinite, every area looks like it was designed with care, outlandish and extravagant sculptures form the centerpiece of colourful plazas, blinding heavenly light beam through windows illuminating ornate corridors, you get the idea, I could wax poetic about this games art direction all day long, it’s just lovely to see such a setting so well realized and brought to life.

Of course it’s more flash than actual substance, the overall combat can still fall victim to annoyance, enemy waves, your spongy types and areas that just don’t offer as much fun options to toy with, point is there’s fun to be had here yet the second half of the game unfortunately falls to the more must be better mantra and tends to just start throwing lots of shit at you all at once, the very last combat section of the game in particular I found utterly awful and an incredibly sour note to finish things on.

So far I’ve had a lot of praise for Infinite so what is it that has me conflicted on how I feel about it? Well it feels like the games strongest parts are all in its first half and the second half comes across a lot weaker by comparison outside of a few moments which are strong related to the plot as opposed to gameplay related strength, the combat starts taking the stage far more often and begins degenerating itself into repetition or confusing messes (those bloody ghost things), the world building starts taking a backseat to other plot details which while undertsndable feels a bit of a missed opportunity. It’s kind of tricky to put my finger on the main issue but well the original Bioshock is pretty notorious for falling into what appears to be a filler rush job towards the end, while Infinite doesn’t drop to those lows there’s certainly something that reminds me of the first games decent here as well, like the game running out of steam and trying to keep on trucking, the videogame laws of escalation meaning more scuffles HAVE to be the solution because that’s like epic and stuff right? and as I stated earlier the final part of the game I really did not like at all and was a prime moment that encapsulated these issues instead of being a rip roaring finish on the gameplay front, the plot side of things delivered here at least.

Keeping in mind for a moment that Infinite is one of the highest scoring titles of the generation and probably THE GotY front runner at the moment, do I think it meets that level of hype? No, the gameplay still needs work, the focus on combat alongside the world itself and how its presented at points can create a bit of dissonance and the more unique and fresh feeling some of the early stages of the game had are lost towards the end turning to more expected FPS shenanigans. Infinite is a game that thrives upon its presentation, the sights, the sounds, the allure and mystery of the story, so I guess that makes it a pretty fitting follow up to the original Bioshock, at the same time I found Infinite to improve on Bioshock in many ways, most importantly in the gameplay so i'd sooner be up in the clouds than under the sea, it looks a lot nicer to boot.

So yeah, it’s an enjoyable game that I’d absolutely recommend playing, just temper your expectations, I always do whenever any game gets the starring role in the 10 outta 10 AAA circus and it has served me well so far.
Just wanted to comment on a few things, though I probably won't be as verbose because I haven't (and cannot) played the game. With that said, I've seen much with respect to the art direction and how it's realized in-game. From what people tell me, Columbia is such an interesting place and the art direction assists in that. The problem is that it's disappointing that such a world is built and you cannot just simply explore and immerse yourself in the world, I take it? At least, that's what people have told me. This ties into your third bit about the lack of worldbuilding and allowing the player agency to explore the world at his/her peril. I get the feeling that it would have been more significant if the game had provided the player more capabilities of making the world his/her own, especially giving such a wonderful backdrop for the game as opposed to trying to let the narrative and combat speak for it.

With respect to combat, I've been told that having the necessary skills at your disposal would make combat rather rote. Enemy waves and sponges don't... really sound that great to me. It almost sounds like it caught Uncharted 3 syndrome (another set of games which I've yet to play and I always say that I'll start playing them and then I don't).

Interesting that you brought up dissonance, though. I feel like a few games I've played this generation fell victim to that. At least in terms of design. You, as the player, are presented with such an interesting world with politics and social intricacies of its own, and yet, because of the way the game is designed and because of the way that the gameplay / game is paced, this creates a bit of a disconnnect between the player and the world around him/her. There is little sense of immersion, or there is something that is so jarring or an issue in terms of design which is so jarring that it knocks the player out of immersion. At least, I hope that's what you're getting at. That's how I feel at times, and it's an interesting point to make with respect to Infinite--or any other game, for that matter.

Noi

Infinite's world is really interesting, which is why it's a shame that the only way you ever actually interact with it that isn't part of an elaborate setpiece is either walking by NPCs that say one line and nothing else, or gunning down pretty much every single able soldier
in multiple alternate dimensions
. I'm not a fan of the idea of turning every game ever into an open-world epic, but that format, even in first person, along with a morality system to determine the reaction people have to what you do would have done way more justice to Infinite's setting.

Well yeah, that's what I actually expected. Bioshock 2 managed to have a final "encounter" that felt right, but it seems they were still too afraid from the first game's shittacular boss to do anything with it even though they actually had a legit "enemy" to use for it this time.

Oh, it's a giant empty courtyard on a ship with tons of space, this is the perfect spot to finally have the ultimate showdown with Songbi-Oh, wait, no, Elizabeth just pulls out a a magic Fluteguffin that can control songbird, have some more generic enemy wave combat as the final boss instead.
The term Shittacular really does encapsulate that boss, 2 did have the best final encounter of the three but i'd still stop short of saying that it was good.

I've now just realised that Songbird is more an actual threat to the player in Playstation All Stars than it is in Infinite itself, i'm not sure how I feel about this.

Sounds delicious.
My current normal tea just can't compare, I do like trying out fruity beverages, this one will serve as replacement for my seemingly discontinued Raspberry and chilli tea which is a lot better than it sounds.

Just wanted to comment on a few things, though I probably won't be as verbose because I haven't (and cannot) played the game. With that said, I've seen much with respect to the art direction and how it's realized in-game. From what people tell me, Columbia is such an interesting place and the art direction assists in that. The problem is that it's disappointing that such a world is built and you cannot just simply explore and immerse yourself in the world, I take it? At least, that's what people have told me. This ties into your third bit about the lack of worldbuilding and allowing the player agency to explore the world at his/her peril. I get the feeling that it would have been more significant if the game had provided the player more capabilities of making the world his/her own, especially giving such a wonderful backdrop for the game as opposed to trying to let the narrative and combat speak for it.

With respect to combat, I've been told that having the necessary skills at your disposal would make combat rather rote. Enemy waves and sponges don't... really sound that great to me. It almost sounds like it caught Uncharted 3 syndrome (another set of games which I've yet to play and I always say that I'll start playing them and then I don't).

Interesting that you brought up dissonance, though. I feel like a few games I've played this generation fell victim to that. At least in terms of design. You, as the player, are presented with such an interesting world with politics and social intricacies of its own, and yet, because of the way the game is designed and because of the way that the gameplay / game is paced, this creates a bit of a disconnnect between the player and the world around him/her. There is little sense of immersion, or there is something that is so jarring or an issue in terms of design which is so jarring that it knocks the player out of immersion. At least, I hope that's what you're getting at. That's how I feel at times, and it's an interesting point to make with respect to Infinite--or any other game, for that matter.

Going into Infinite I was aware of some of the criticisms, including that of the linearity clashing with Columbia itself and losing out on perhaps greater potential to delve into the location with a more open format, I tend to view the whole thing like a ride, you sit back in your seat and are guided down the one path as you stare at your surroundings, kind of suiting when you consider the various animatronic objects all over the place. Or maybe since you do get a little bit of leeway in looking around it's more like a Cruise where you'll stop off a pre set destinations look around for a bit and then hop back on the main journey, so lets figure that people wanted a more traditional holiday from this setting where you could explore at your leisure. Yeah, there's a valid point to be made in that the setting could benefit much more from not only a different structuring of game progression but maybe even a different genre entirely, but when it comes down to it I just took it for what it was, really i'm more surprised that I enjoyed a modern FPS as much as I did, it's been a long time since I did.

I felt that the combat just about managed to avoid feeling too repetitive, it sometimes lay on the cusp of such a feeling but since most enemies drop down in one go from a face full of shotgun shells and they don't bring in as much reinforcements as other games tend to it manages to have each big area encounter end before I start thinking "just stop this already!", I figure that if the difficulty goes up just one more level all this goes out the window and we board the train to slogsville, as it stands I managed to get through most encounters without getting bored to bits or overly frustrated.
Uncharted 3 is on a whole other level regarding repetitive and plain craply designed encounters, I could write a damn book on how bad that games combat can get and the over-abundance of it in the games second half basically strangling what enjoyment I managed to wring out of the game myself, fortunately fellow Gaffer Papercuts did I nice job of cutting into the games faults quite handily so I don't have to, i'm sure it's lying around in a few recent lttp threads on that game. There's also the fact that I don't find shooting in that series fun to begin with.

And jarring is right for that last point, you'll head from a huge shoot out into a new area, I glance at the new enemies in front of me preparing my crows to feast only to discover that they're in fact NPC characters in this area and i'm not about to get in a scuffle at all, all of a sudden the police force that were after me in the last area are oddly oblivious to who I am (until I eat someone's apple, THEFT!), it's odd that's for sure.

Two bans in a row, my monster heel turn starts NOW

Look this boy Owl trying to show me up with his big Bioshock Infinite posts. I'm gonna have to do something about this...

BlackJace

I guess its because I came in expecting to actually talk about each review and discuss parts of them regarding the mechanics, but that was obviously a bad idea.

Honestly, when I heard The Last of Us was getting tons of tens, my thoughts were less "this must be a classic in the making" and more "this is probably the press just playing lip-service, isn't it?"

I'd like to be wrong, of course, but either way my interest for this game is precisely where it always has been: at nil.

I'll play it and I'm sure they'll be a big post all about it. I don't go for any of this "OMG NAUGHTY GODS GAME OF THE GENERATION" hyperbole bullshit, I tell you how it is.

#trustedresource

Noi

I dunno, there's a difference between a game just plain old scoring highly (like Uncharted 2 before it) and getting the scores it's currently getting (like Galaxy, GTA4, etc did). It's made me more inclined to get the same sooner rather than later, that's for sure.

Two bans in a row, my monster heel turn starts NOW

Look this boy Owl trying to show me up with his big Bioshock Infinite posts. I'm gonna have to do something about this...
If your ban came from the post I think it did then it's absolutely heel turn material, because in WWE land the faces are jerks and the heels spit truth, if it's the post I think it is.
Welcome back, i'm just building myself up to get squashed by your Infinite musings and make you come across that much more impressive.

Naughty Dog fanboys are the worst.

I've only just got back, I guess the embargo has been lifted, to my expected outcome? *checks metacritic* looks like the usual then, lets see if this time ND actually live up to the reputation for a change when I no doubt borrow it off one of my friends at some point soon, well lets face it even if it actually does i'd probably still disagree, that's just how it goes with me and ND, that and the demo did bugger all to impress me but it was a demo so hardly indicative of the overall quality.
Well time to wade on in to that thread and see what's up.

The thread is a bunch of people being terrible about one review and others pointing out how terrible they are. I don't see the big deal...?

Yeah, pretty much this.

Personally, I'm finding the Xbone eSRAM thread pretty hilarious, especially since crazy buttocks just got involved.

Yeah, pretty much this.

Personally, I'm finding the Xbone eSRAM thread pretty hilarious, especially since crazy buttocks just got involved.

Now THAT is a funny thread. Seems they sacrificed quite a bit of potential gaming power for TVTVTVTV Kinect, go home. Now they cancelled the post-E3 Media conference...shit is getting out of hand with this system, man

And yet, it's the only console conference Spike TV's gonna cover!

Because Sony's "too late" and Nintendo's (presumably) too streamy.

Yeah that review thread isn't really that bad from the few pages I scanned through, plus it's kind of understandable that after a huge wave of top scores that people may be a bit suspicious of the one 7.5 sitting alone, of course that's still no reason to lose ones shit but there's always going to be the few that do and in this case they aren't making much of a majority, though I have seen some pretty hilarious posts regarding the very few lower scores. I think such reviews are better looked at after actually having playing the game, after all what makes the entire Uncharted 3 thing even funnier in retrospect is that after playing the game a lot of people could see exactly where Eurogamer were coming from, same deal with Gamespot and Twilight Princess.
The 10's aren't exactly free from this whole deal either, I already stated in my Infinite post that seeing so many high scores tends to make me more dubious of such claims if anything for a few reasons, but then my tastes don't really align with all the big AAA titles so there we go.

I think the bigger problem i'm seeing in there is one not strictly related to that game but like the whole deal that a lot of Gaf tends to dump on reviews all the time for various reasons until they arrive for a game that has truckloads of hype behind it in which case suddenly they are the most important thing ever, there's no consistency here, obviously GAF doesn't exist in a hive mind but you know, it's not hard to notice that one second reviews are something to be mocked and then they're suddenly back to being the definitive judgement, i'll just chalk it up to mad levels of hype.

Anyway I should turn my attention to this MS stuff, sounds like HIGH DRAMA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom