• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Youth - Washing Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

Like EVERY OTHER Sonic Youth album, this one is very... different. Holy shit, there's lots of noise!

Just a quick rundown:

Becuz - Good opening track... Kim Gordon rocks.
Junkie's Promise - Kind of weird. Maybe because I can't relate with being a junkie? I dunno, it seems kind of weak.
Like - Is it soft indie pop or noise?! I like it :D
Washing Machine - MY EARS! This song is really... strange.
Unwind - The first few notes of the main riff sounds like Modest Mouse's "Blame it on the Tetons" (actually it's the other way around) :D Nice noise pop kind of song.
Little Trouble Girl - Messed up! Kind of lets you see into the mind of what seems like a psychologically (and maybe physically) abused girl that can't understand her parents... or people.
No Queen Blues - Quite the crazy indie whatthefuckisit kind of vibe.
Panty Lies - Ohhh boy, another crazy Kim Gordon song :p She says she hasn't dropped acid since she was 17... I'm not so sure about that :|
Untitled - Nicely produced wall of calm soothing noise that goes on for almost three minutes.
Skip Tracer - Pretty weird... deep in thought for sure.
The Diamond Sea - One of the best songs ever recorded in the history of rock. FACT. I like the alternate ending version that you can get from sonicyouth.com better, though.

I'd just like to thank all of the people who said I was full of it for not giving Sonic Youth a chance. What was I thinking? I've listened to Evol, Daydream Nation, Dirty, Washing Machine, and Nurse. They all are amazing. I can't believe so many people have heard nothing from this band.

To all of you other music people here that haven't paid attention to SY, stop listening to stupid bands like A Perfect Circle and get some Sonic Youth albums.

Awesome that you stuck with them. One of my all-time favorite bands. If you picked up Nurse, then you really should get Murray Street next. "Rain on Tin" was my song of the year for 2k2 and one of SY's best songs in years.

Fusebox

Banned
I'm so mainstream, Goo and Dirty are my favourite SY albums, Nurse is a great new release though, it's getting caned on my stereo at the mo'.

Sonic Youth rocks.

I also got the impression that you're not very familiar with the Pixies (based on some comments you made towards a song of theirs I posted in one of those lyrics threads)... Should give them a shot, especially if you like Sonic Youth. Maybe you are though, it's just a guess.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
A friend of mine, and White Man got me to check out SY. In about 2-3 weeks time, I had listened to Confusion is Sex/Kill Yr. Idols, EVOL, Sister, Daydream Nation, Goo, Dirty, Experimental Jet Set..., Washing Machine, Murray Street, and Sonic Nurse.

Love love love love love love love. Now to pick them all up on wax...

By the way, Sonic Youth isn't a lot of noise. Merzbow is a lot of noise ;)

Diablos said:
Semjaza -- I actually got 20+ pixies songs and I just didn't like what I was hearing.

I am saddened by this news.

I will say that it actually took me a long, long time to really get into the Pixies. Now they're probably my favorite band/musician after Bowie. They really should be listened to in a straight album format...

Oh well lol.

Fusebox

Banned
I love SY, I hate The Pixies - I dont see many similarities between the bands either.

Frank Black is a cock btw.

<3 Washing Machine.

The title track is probably my fave, but there's no denying the brilliance of "The Diamond Sea." I love that, on most tracks, there's no bass... just three guitars going at it. Plus, Kim is using her Free Kitten tunings... yummy.

If you want I'll be the one
Take you out and have some fun
I'll never never ever ever tell no one
'Til it ends til the morinin comes

Yeah!
I take my baby down to the corner and I buy him a soda pop
mmm hmmm
ALRIGHT NOW!
ALRIGHT NOW!

Now... go get Goo !!

And check out Free Kitten, Kim's band with Julia Crafitz (of PUSSY GALORE), some guy from Pavement and some other guy...

And yes, get the Whitey Album.

Diablos

Yeah, I need to get Goo. Disappearer is a cool song.

I checked out Free Kitten's Unboxed and I really didn't like it. The tunings and stuff were cool, but the songs themselves seemed to be really... stupid; I didn't enjoy it. I noticed similar tunings on Washing Machine, but they are actually applied to songs that are good. :p

Free Kitten's bassist is Mark Ibold... Pavement is another indie band I tried getting into, but they just came off as being way too bland. I like a good few of their songs, but they aren't a favorite band or anything. Shady Lane, Transport is Arranged, Cut Your Hair, Gold Soundz, Range Life, Spit on a Stranger, Folk Jam, just to name a few. But most of their other work is just kind of bleh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom