• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announced new PS2 Design

http://www.gamefront.de

Babelfish....

- Model SCPH-70000 CB
- EUR Release 11/01/04
- new mainboard
- weight - 50 %
- height 2,8 cm (old PS2 7,8 cm)
- first public presentation TGS
- built in Ethernet Port

Sony stellt PS2 in neuem Design vor

21.09.04 - Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. hat heute eine PlayStation 2 (SCPH-70000 CB) mit komplett neuem Design vorgestellt. Diese wird rechtzeitig zum Weihnachtsgeschäft verfügbar sein. Das neue Modell wird am 1. November in Europa in den Ladenregalen stehen.

Während die grundlegenden Funktionen und die Designphilosophie der aktuellen PlayStation 2 (SCPH-50000) beibehalten werden, wurde die interne Architektur komplett neu entwickelt. So wurden das Mainboard und das Innenleben der neuen PlayStation 2 komplett überarbeitet. Daraus resultiert ein schlankeres Design und geringeres Gewicht. Im Inneren wurde das Volumen um 75 Prozent reduziert, das Gewicht wurde auf weniger als die Hälfte verringert und die Höhe auf 2,8 cm zusammengestaucht (beim aktuellen Modell 7,8 cm).

Des weiteren ist die Hardware mit einem integrierten Ethernet Port für Network-Gaming ausgestattet.

Das aufregende neue PlayStation 2-Design sowie die kürzliche Preisreduzierung auf 149,95 Euro (UVP) sind Garant für den weiteren Erfolg des Produktes.

DSN2K

ps23.JPG

ps24.JPG

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Woah...so so slim. Very nice. I was going to not get my own PS2 (brother has one), but now I think I might just. Network ready = harddrive included?!

Jonnyram

Serafitia said:
Look at the right side of it. It would've been cool if it was flip-top, though.
I still don't understand where the disc goes... is there a slot somewhere near the eject button that I'm not seeing?

Serafitia said:
Look at the right side of it. It would've been cool if it was flip-top, though.
I am. I see an eject button and what looks like LEDs on the far right but there doesn't seem to be enough room for the cd tray. Looking at the girl holding the machine, I'm convinced there isn't enough room on the front. I think it's a fliptop design.

i like it. if MS release a slimmed down xbox I'd probably buy one.

Same here. I don't get rid of my old systems so it's becoming a pain to store all of them. I've never gotten an Xbox and size is one of the factors why I haven't. But if there was one as small as this (well, a little bigger thanks to the HD) I'd probably crack and get one with Outrun 2.

I think it's a fliptop also. Given the new size of the unit, the disc drive door isn't big enough for a disc, if you think it's in the same relative position as it was on the original PS2 model.

Does that make sense? I'm really tired. :)

EDIT: Then again, a fliptop would be awkward in vertical mode. Hell I don't know. WHERE'S THE PSP INFO?!?

XS+

Banned
I hope it's a fliptop so HK pirates can finally get to work on an easy boot disc/import-playing solution for PSTwo..

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Frankly, I'm disappointed. No HDD support and they didn't even include Memorystick support to offset that. So all you get out of it is integrated ethernet/modem and a smaller, lighter PS2. Wahoo.

Product Outline (for North America/United States Models)

Product Name PlayStation(R)2
Color Charcoal Black
Product Code SCPH-70011 CB (for North America)
SCPH-70012 CB (for United States)
Release Date November 1st, 2004 (Monday)
Suggested
Retail Price $149.99
Dimensions Approximately 230 mm (W) x28 mm (H) x152 mm (D)
*internal volume about 23% of the current model
Weight Approximately 900g
*weight about 45% of the current model
Power requirements DC 8.5V
Electrical current
consumption
(power consumption) Approximately 5.3A (approximately 45W)
Compatible format PlayStation format CD-ROM
PlayStation 2 format CD-ROM
PlayStation 2 format DVD-ROM
Audio CD
DVD-Video*
DVD-RW (VR mode)
* The term "DVD-Video" is used to refer to DVD-
R, DVD-RW (Video mode), DVD+R and DVD+RW discs.
Interfaces Controller Port x 2
MEMORY CARD slot x 2
USB connector x 2
NETWORK connector x 1 100BASE-TX/10BASE-T
LINE connector x 1 modem : RJ-11C
DC IN 8.5V connector x 1
AV MULTI OUT connector x 1
DIGITAL OUT OPTICAL connector x 1
Included PlayStation(R)2 console x 1
Analog Controller DUALSHOCK(R)2 x 1
AV Cable (integrated audio/video) x 1
AC Adaptor (AC power cord included) x 1

Pug

Is the transformer external like the GC? That a big negative for me as all my cables are hidding in trunking the GC's power supply is a pain. Its also a quick way of making lots of room inside a machine!

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Frankly, I'm disappointed. No HDD support and they didn't even include Memorystick support to offset that. So all you get out of it is integrated ethernet/modem and a smaller, lighter PS2. Wahoo."

i guess it's more portable too - and the eventual screen will be nice. But yeah, i'm, with Kaching.

The DS announcemnt (ie: new hardware) dampened this one for me.

DCharlie said:
"Frankly, I'm disappointed. No HDD support and they didn't even include Memorystick support to offset that. So all you get out of it is integrated ethernet/modem and a smaller, lighter PS2. Wahoo."

i guess it's more portable too - and the eventual screen will be nice. But yeah, i'm, with Kaching.

The DS announcemnt (ie: new hardware) dampened this one for me.

I agree. Not even a new look, really. It's sexy ... but it's no DS!

And NO HDD SUPPORT!

Pug

The Faceless Master, thanks though that would be the case. Think I'll stick with my normal PS2 then.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"And NO HDD SUPPORT!"

as mentioned elsewhere....

this means they have to STILL keep making the old PS2 in order to provide continued support for all the PS2's functionality....

i'd have thought the whole point was to switch away from the old PS2 machine entirely as the PSTwo would cut production costs??

Unless of course they are going to hump Square HARD from behind (with an old model PS2 ;) )

Top Bottom