• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announced new PS2 Design

P90

:( I was looking forward to a PSOne type design. I doubt I pick this one up until it drops to $99 or lower.

P90 said:
:( I was looking forward to a PSOne type design. I doubt I pick this one up until it drops to $99 or lower.

I agree. I would have liked to have seen something a bit more different from the original.

I suppose they didn't want to stray too far from the original design, and have people forget that it is in fact a full-fledged PS2, despite it's amazing thinness.

signet

damit!

No HDD support, I don't want to have to buy more memory cards again.

That just sucks but I guess it confirms the HDD as a total and complete failure and no new games will use it.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Ehhh I think the design looks absolutely abysmal, but that's just me. Fliptop is a major plus, I'm glad they put that in the design and not having a HDD means nothing, that peripheral was a failure.

God I hope this comes out before the end of the year.

Insertia

fuck!!!

that thing is almost nothing.

i'm gonna go trade in my original ps2 while it's still worth something.

The only thing that irks me is that Sony stuck with the same color.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I'm actually surprised how the (current) lack of HDD support is really bothering some people.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
dog$ said:
I'm actually surprised how the (current) lack of HDD support is really bothering some people.

I have mixed feelings about it really... on the one hand I can't believe they'd jerk Square so hardly with this new rev... especially considering the recent announcement of new Square titles headed to the PS2.... I keep thinking we'll maybe they'll come out with a NEW HDD that's compatible with the PSTwo... but even that doesn't seem very plausible.... this just doesn't seem like good business sense. Hell even SOCOM II is supposedly about to support downloaded new maps....

Insertia

Yeah, seriously. The HDD is pretty useless to PS2. Besides, there are 72 million Playstation2's out there that are already HDD compatiable. Pick one.
I don't see how kicking a useless feature out of PS2 is going to change anything.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Something tells me the old PS2s will be worth a lot more now because of the HDD.

My first impulse was to sell my current PS2 for this one, but now, I'll most likely just own both.

DarienA

DaCocoBrova said:
Something tells me the old PS2s will be worth a lot more now because of the HDD.

My first impulse was to sell my current PS2 for this one, but now, I'll most likely just own both.

Same here.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I'm probably in the huge minority but I'd like it if Sony had a few different colors available at launch. I'm guessing the whole color thing is only reserved for handhelds though or maybe it makes the consumer market harder to identify with the product.

Fliptop + smaller design = gold.

I don't own an HDD or any games that support it though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm certainly holding onto my current model, but I really love the way that looks.

I honestly don't understand the HDD complaints, though. Were people really using it for something other than piracy? I know lots of people here are using the HD-Loader, and would hate to have that option removed, but how many people are still using it for legit apps?

DarienA

BuddyChrist83 said:
did we get through all of this (DS thread, countless Sony threads) without someone being banned?

So far... that's a pretty major feat....

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
h-103_31057_newps21.jpg.jpg

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Hehe, as if there was any doubt this would be a little marvel of engineering :)

It's ridiculous how much smaller it is compared to an old PS2. Yes, the AC adapter is outside, but still, it's just funny when they put them together on one picture :)

I hope MS follows the suit, because frankly, Xbox will look like a dinosaur now.

DarienA said:
I have mixed feelings about it really... on the one hand I can't believe they'd jerk Square so hardly with this new rev... especially considering the recent announcement of new Square titles headed to the PS2.... I keep thinking we'll maybe they'll come out with a NEW HDD that's compatible with the PSTwo... but even that doesn't seem very plausible.... this just doesn't seem like good business sense. Hell even SOCOM II is supposedly about to support downloaded new maps....

I don't necessarily see Square being all that upset about this. It's pretty clear that the HDD was going nowhere as this gen is 2/3 over in terms of active support with the HDD only capturing << 1%. Clearly, Sony has been developing this system for some time and likely knew they were going to do this 6 months to a year ago. FFXI has already sold 95% of what it's ever going to sell, so it probably won't hurt Square much financially.

I'd say Sony probably bent over backwards for Square to even introduce the HDD here in America.

Clearly, this is a huge pie in the face for Sony, but in the larger picture, it really is inconsequential beyond the fact that Sony has lost even more of their "air of invulnerability" and the belief that whatever they touch is gold.

All of this assuming that Sony doesn't find someway to support an external HDD.

DarienA

sonycowboy said:
Clearly, this is a huge pie in the face for Sony, but in the larger picture, it really is inconsequential beyond the fact that Sony has lost even more of their "air of invulnerability" and the belief that whatever they touch is gold.

Yeah but how much is that perception worth in everyday dollars? This among many things points to a much tighter race next gen.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Hah, the redesigned model reminds me of that fake PS2 game console that was posted on this forum a few weeks ago.

I'd love to see the new vertical stand, that thing must be built very well to support something as thin as that.

BuddyC

TekunoRobby said:
Hah, the redesigned model reminds me of that fake PS2 game console that was posted on this forum a few weeks ago.

I'd love to see the new vertical stand, that thing must be built very well to support something as thin as that.
A picture of it is floating around here, it's basically a giant circle.

Tortfeasor

As far as the HD goes, Sony does make an external one that hooks up to the system via the USB port. It was used for development purposes (it attached to the PS2 Dev System)and I believe was released at one time commercially in japan (the 1st gen HD released in Japan). Perhaps they are going to release it here now as well.

manngc

I've been recently contemplating trading in my original model for the new "+" type to get access to both the network adaptor (in leui of purchasing it separately) and the option of the HDD. Playing Outbreak with the HDD was the reason (as well as getting a hold of HD-Loader). Now that the "+" model is getting phased out, this is going to be harder to do.

Also, does anyone know if this model is compatible with the new remote (ie. can it be turned off with the remote?).

Mann

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Tortfeasor said:
As far as the HD goes, Sont does make an external one that hooks up to the system via the USB port. It was used for development purposes (it attached to the PS2 Dev System)and I believe was released at one time commercially in japan (the 1st gen HD released in Japan). Perhaps they are going to release it here now as well.

That was the PCMCIA port not the USB port IIRC.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I honestly don't understand the HDD complaints, though. Were people really using it for something other than piracy? I know lots of people here are using the HD-Loader, and would hate to have that option removed, but how many people are still using it for legit apps?
Uhh, I do. Seriously, once you start playing your games using HDloader, it's hard to go back. It literally cuts load times at least in half with every game, not to mention the convenience of not having to swap disks, play imports, and homebrew apps.

The unit is just too small, no way would the NA fit on that. And they removed the HDD bay too.
Ethernet and modem connectors are installed on the back of the new PS2.

Also, does anyone know if this model is compatible with the new remote (ie. can it be turned off with the remote?).
It has the IR sensor integrated, so I can't see why not.

Razoric said:
Wow way to kill any potential future support for the HDD. What a stupid move.

Really, this late in the system's life, did you expect THAT much support for the HDD in the first place?

I'm convinced the HDD was nothing more than an experiment to see if they could get away with not putting one in the PS3 to begin with.

Exactly my thoughts. It seems way too small for me to be comfortable with it.

Since you most you interact with a machine is the controller, and that's the same size, how would you not be comfortable with it?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"I'd say Sony probably bent over backwards for Square to even introduce the HDD here in America. "

..... on what basis would you say that?!?!?!

RuGalz

Hmm I have mix feeling about this as well. On one hand the smaller size is kind of cool (but black color looks weird). On the other hand the main reason I would want to get a normal PS2 is because my first generation test unit cannot be used for FFXI and I got 2 PS2 HDDs (for free). I was going to get the redesigned PS2 so I can use the HDDs but now I can't...

On a side note... I guess these new units are going to make swap magic users happy.

Yusaku

Riskbreaker said:
I hope a freeloader type disc will be created so I can finally play some import PS2 games.

Berserk..Oh YES

I imagine Swap Magic and some spring to prevent the PS2 from realizing the top is opened would let you play imports all you want.

Razoric

Banned
mightynine said:
Really, this late in the system's life, did you expect THAT much support for the HDD in the first place?

I'm convinced the HDD was nothing more than an experiment to see if they could get away with not putting one in the PS3 to begin with.

To not include some kind of HDD alternative or at least give us a fucking port to plug it into is stupid. How can anyone champion Sony for removing viable features is beyond me.

Top Bottom