• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announced new PS2 Design

signet

I'd swap out my current PS2 for one of these if it had HDD support. Not that I use my HDD for gaming anymore (stop playing FFXI months ago) but I do have a lot of saves stored on it.

Maybe I can sell off the HDD for some extra cash and buy a few more memory cards...

DarienA said:
Ah didn't see that... is that in keeping with the PSOne? Did it launch at the same price as the Playstation when it replaced it? I don't rememeber that shit, my brain is too busy remembering how much I like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups... and IP addresses... and phone numbers and crap.

Playstation dropped to $99 in Aug of 1999
PSOne was introduced in Sept of 2000 at $99 and the regular Playstation dropped to $79 to clear out remaining inventory. (Although the $79 was not an official price drop as Sony had discontinued the Playstation, but that was the price protection they gave to retailers)

signet

Scott said:
But by cutting support of the HDD, its cutting into it's longevity, and I really wouldn't be surprised to see Square Enix announce tomorrow that Front Mission Online, Ambrosia Odyssey, etc are now PC only releases...

pssst, Square Enix I know of a system that is a lot like a PC and every unit ships with a harddrive. I am sure they would be more than willing to become the home for your games that Sony holds no value for, anymore.

signet said:
pssst, Square Enix I know of a system that is a lot like a PC and every unit ships with a harddrive. I am sure they would be more than willing to become the home for your games that Sony holds no value for, anymore.

But, no system like that exists in Japan :)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
sonycowboy said:
Presumably, although, they have stated that there will be some incompatabilities. I can think of one right off the bat.

FFXI

hehehe I wonder if the Guncon is gonna get jerked around again....

Alex

Putting FFXI on the Xbox would be fun.

*50,000+ blocks remaining*

"Hooray, time to install!"

*3 blocks remaining*

"Oh nooooo!"

This looks ****ing great imo! I was expecting some kind of design that would have had the PSone rounder=cooler mentality behind it. The similarity in the design only emphasises how much smaller the system is. It's great!

I have other priorities, and having thought the regular PS2 was overpriced until the £99 drop, price is the only factor holding me off in any way. This is looking like a possible christmas treat for myself methinks!

I'd love to see that rumored smaller Xbox, or a Gamecube redesign in response now too! Extend this gen!

DSN2K

pstwo.jpg

real ?

Hournda

Why are you people complaining about lack of Hard Drive? Who cares? What games actually use the hard drive? FF11? Yay, a MMORPG that I can play on my PC. Wow, that's a big loss. It's small, it's sleek, but the only problem is it's expensive. $150? That's the current price of a PS2. The only people saving money here is Sony. I'll wait until it's $100.

Hournda said:
Why are you people complaining about lack of Hard Drive? Who cares? What games actually use the hard drive? FF11? Yay, a MMORPG that I can play on my PC. Wow, that's a big loss. It's small, it's sleek, but the only problem is it's expensive. $150? That's the current price of a PS2. The only people saving money here is Sony. I'll wait until it's $100.

Exact same situation as the PSOne, the redesigned SNES, the redesigned NES, and the redesigned Atari 2600 before that. Redesigns are cost savings for them and do not dictate when the price will drop.

btrboyev

I don't the like the shape of the unit, but damn its really small and the top loading is cool...I will probably buy one. I think they should have rounded the machine out instead of having the rectangular look.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Hournda said:

I use my HDD for more than just FFXI, and not even for HDLoader or something like that.
But nice try chief.

sohka88

pssst, Square Enix I know of a system that is a lot like a PC and every unit ships with a harddrive. I am sure they would be more than willing to become the home for your games that Sony holds no value for, anymore

They can just put it on PC... which they do

P90

signet said:

And that said console will be no more in 2005. Its sucessor won't have a hard drive either. End of discussion.

mr2mike

Banned
Can anybody explain to me what the fascination with a top loading drive is? I mean what the hell? tray or slot load is where it's at. Why do you people want to go back in time to the top load era?

the only top loaders that are cool are the motorised-lid kind.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
mr2mike said:
Can anybody explain to me what the fascination with a top loading drive is? I mean what the hell? tray or slot load is where it's at. Why do you people want to go back in time to the top load era?

so the drive doesn't wear out on you.

mr2mike said:

I didn't get DREs on my top loading PlayStation and haven't had em on the Gamecube.
The newer system has hopefully eradicated this problem though. When it comes down to it, I'd much rather something that can fit under my TV neatly.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Another note on HDD support: Some people are getting it. If Sony really plans to sell the PS2 for another five years, this is especially stupid. When PS3 hits, everybody who wants Teh Graphics will, naturally, migrate over to it instantly. And new consumers who are looking for the hottest and sexiest will turn to PS3. PS2 is going to have to have something to make it attractive for the long haul, and the kind of big, persistant multiplayer games you get with Playonline are a major deal for that.

Besides, there's been various talk of developers planning HD supported features in games like GT4. I wouldn't be surprised at all now, if those features quietly evaporate as if they never were. Can you imagine, from a developer's standpoint, how confusing it would look to the public to check the features on a game and find "downloadable content only available on PS2 Models XXXXX" or in the game see indicators for online and expanded content yet be unable to use it on their new PS2? Shrugging of HDD support because "nothing uses it" is a bizarre self-fufilling prophesy. Sony screwed up initially by delaying the release of the HDD outside Japan for so long, giving devs much less of a reason to put HDD features in. Then, only five months after the big US rollout of the HDD, they kill the HDD for the future entirely, just when at least a few devs had begun to say they're gonna use the thing.

Of course there's hardly anything that uses it - Sony is bound and determined to make it unattractive to use!

kiryogi

Banned
mr2mike said:

DREs :p

mr2mike

Banned
Seriousely, I've never heard of a tray load 'wearing out'. m father even has an old Phillips CD player (with a tray load) he bought when they first came out, and it's still works like a new one.

Tucked in the corner of this room is an old pentium 1 PC and it's dinosaur CD rom drive is plenty energetic.

What I have heard of is people opening the tray and having someone else accidentally step on it, but ou dont have to be a mental giant to avoid that kind of misshap, and what if you step on the 'drive' of a top load?

Top Bottom