• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Confrence...

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
8bit said:
Surely this will reset when you open the lid?
No HDD support, new mb, flip top design = Anti piracy drive, I'd guess.
Ah, but you might be able "trick" drive button/sensor that it's still closed with a paper clip or spring like the Psone...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
kpop100 said:
Just how optimistic are we talking here :)

I don't know the actual US PSP retail price. I'm speculating about it based on infos I've got about the japanese one and past differencies between japanese and US systems prices.

scei5.jpg

image of i guess the psp in the lower right corner. from blue ray thread

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
scei2.jpg

I swear I pictured Kutaragi like a monkey lurking at 2001's black monolith.

This is an example of why people needs to sleep.

ourumov

Let's suppose you have been saving money and that you have let's say...150$. Now Sony anounces release for 2k5 and a price tag of 300$.

We all know what would be your reaction on 21st November...

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
OMG, Who needs two screens when you can play 2 players on one PSP like Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo on the GBA!

scei01.jpg

:D j/k

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SolidSnakex said:
In addition, it was presupposed "a price / sale day of Playstation portable (PSP)" are not announced "today"

hmm... probably waiting for the TGS?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Let's suppose you have been saving money and that you have let's say...150$. Now Sony anounces release for 2k5 and a price tag of 300$.

We all know what your reaction would be on November 21st

Yes, so that was a good move by Nintendo, although they couldn't have left timing much later.

TBH though, it still leaves Sony able to play the really annoying game of "not announcing prices until next year, but instead teasing people at TGS and worldwide about how great PSP will be, so don't buy that dirty DS".

Then by next year, if they done the dirty right, they'll have put enough people off that they'll stump up the full price anyway.

SolidSnakex said:
In addition, it was presupposed "a price / sale day of Playstation portable (PSP)" are not announced "today"

Translation: "We were gonna announce the price today, but that Ninny DS price announcement fucked us up good! Give us a few days to figure out what to leave out of the damn thing."

GDGF

Soothsayer
The gaming press are going to have a field day with this one. You know how they love to go after an angle.

'Sony Shocked Into A Silence As Nintendo Announces NDS Price'..and whatnot.

Drexon

Banned
Why is no1 screaming about the slimmed down PSTwo in that pic?

Edit: Oh, external PSU, no HDD, no network eh? Pretty useless, unless you get and LCD and play it in the car.

Jonnyram

Marty Chinn said:
Ya I'm sure it will reset when you open the lid....that is unless you hold down the door sensor so it doesn't know you did that. Think back to PS1.
Wouldn't that stop you playing multi-CD PS1 games?
Anyway, the lack of HDD support is a big mistake unless they've already severed relations with Square Enix.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Drexon said:
Edit: Oh, external PSU, no HDD, no network eh? Pretty useless, unless you get and LCD and play it in the car.

Yeah, pretty useless since there are so few offline games for PS2. Furthermore, we're being limited to ONLY play games that won't require the HDD. Not much left to play FUCK SONY

GDGF

Soothsayer
Jonnyram said:
Anyway, the lack of HDD support is a big mistake unless they've already severed relations with Square Enix.

Perhaps it's the big F You for them not supporting the PSP?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Drexon said:
Why is no1 screaming about the slimmed down PSTwo in that pic?

There is an Ethernet port on the back.

Brofist

Jonnyram said:

There are multidisc PS2 game too you know..it probably doesn't automatically reset upon open.

mosaic

go eat paint
Sony press release says US version will have a modem port too.

Also, multidisc games have no bearing on whether or not the fliptop drive has a sensor to reset when open. The PSOne had multi-disc games and had such a sensor. Though it was easy enough to tape down.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Jonnyram said:

The more I think of it the less I believe this actually hurts Square. I mean, there are millions of PS2 out there, so there is still potential for growth. Newcomers (those that don't have a PS2 already and will buy the SCPH-70000) are hardly interested in FFXI. Those that are, probably already bought the HDD+FFXI package or at least they have the old PS2 model and are waiting for a price reduction of the HDD before jumping in.

TTP said:
The more I think of it the less I believe this actually hurts Square. I mean, there are millions of PS2 out there, so there is still potential for growth. Newcomers (those that don't have a PS2 already and will buy the SCPH-70000) are hardly interested in FFXI. Those that are, probably already bought the HDD+FFXI package or at least they have the old PS2 model and are waiting for a price reduction of the HDD before jumping in.
and everyone who wants component out on cube already owns one :D

GDGF

Soothsayer
Now you just gotta hope Square agrees with your logic...

(japanese companies tend to view slights like this as a slap in the face, though)

Chrono

Banned
Lost Weekend said:

(japanese companies tend to view slights like this as a slap in the face, though)

I don't know why but that makes me feel good. :D

dog$

Hates quality gaming
ourumov said:

We all know what would be your reaction on 21st November...
Well I don't know about yours but mine would be along these lines:

"$300.

I can get a system with one small shitty screen.
Or one with two small shitty screens.
Or I can choose from three other cheaper systems here that'll work on MY tv and MY stereo system.
HMMMMM."

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lost Weekend said:

yeah, I know. But this is not like the Nintendo vs Sony situation back in the 32bit days. It's not that big of a slap imo. FFXI and the whole Playonline thing is not that mandatory for Squaresoft to support the system. At least not at this time of the console life cycle. They still have the PC version. They still have millions of PS2 owners out there to sell the HDD to. They still have FFXII coming that wont need the HDD but will benefit from a larger user base (and the new model will expand it faster imo).

ourumov

"I want to display PSP by Tokyo Game Show, to hear an opinion from a game fan, circulation / report persons concerned, and a game maker, and to determine a sale day and a price formally."

So if the TGS people say it sucks, the price will be cheaper right ?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
well, every new model (by "model" I mean SCPH-XXXXX) replaced the former. Plus, it's more convenient for retailers/distributors to deal with the new PS2. Just imagine how many PS2s could fit on a shelf or in a van now that it's so small.

So I guess, even if this is not a formal Sony intention, I'm confident we will see old models disappear from stores sooner or later.

ourumov

I also think it will replace 100% the old model. That's what happened with PsOne...I see no reason why it shouldn't happen now.
PSX lost in the transition, the serial port (also missed on late PSX models) + RGB support (although newer models of PsOne seem to have solved the later).

Top Bottom