• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Gets Its Game Back

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
efralope said:
ok, what you said was true, the PS2 has been an astounding success. That doesn't mean it's been profitable up to this point though. Look at XBox, almost 20 million consoles for a newcomer and a loss of several billion dollars so far. Everytime someone buys an XBox, it's more losses for Microsoft.

I'm not saying that it's 100% true Sony hasn't made a profit yet, but didn't their Playstation division just post a loss recently. I'd say that's more than your indicated "no evidence".

MS's situation is a bit different, though...

Sony engineers can continue to modify and streamline the process for the creation of PS2 parts in order to minimize cost. They have, in fact, done just that. That have seriously reduced the cost of manufacturing PS2 consoles.

MS's choice of off the shelf components does not allow such a process to occur and they are stuck with higher prices...

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
efralope said:
ok, what you said was true, the PS2 has been an astounding success. That doesn't mean it's been profitable up to this point though. Look at XBox, almost 20 million consoles for a newcomer and a loss of several billion dollars so far. Everytime someone buys an XBox, it's more losses for Microsoft.

I'm not saying that it's 100% true Sony hasn't made a profit yet, but didn't their Playstation division just post a loss recently. I'd say that's more than your indicated "no evidence".

I think your confused erf. Sony's been profitable, but ONLY the Playstation side. I remember the financial inclined JP'ers saying that without SCEJ, Sony would be shitting bricks about losses

efralope said:

It's always fun to hear the installed userbase jump by 33% because someone likes playing fast and loose with the numbers. Last number given was 15.5 at the end of June. Not quite almost 20 million. They will be announcing new numbers in the coming weeks, though, as the Sept fiscal quarter is over and quarterly earnings will be announced. In fact, they've never shipped more than 6 million in an entire year. They will certainly do so this year, but don't give hardware numbers that are just false.

The quarter they lost, they only shipped 700k units (by far the weakest quarter of PS2 shipments ever), so the loss was not related to losses as a result PS2 hardware. If you read the results, which were posted here, the losses were associated with a ramp up in manufacturing and R&D related to the PSP and PS3. The lack of PS2 shipments made those costs all the more apparent.

sohka88

There is really no point talking to efrapole. He makes statements with absolutely no factual point.

Where did you hear the PS2 was somehow still losing money? Where?

Also, Where did Jarrod see/hear that PSP was costing Sony $350 no manufacture?

jarrod

Banned
sohka88 said:
Also, Where did Jarrod see/hear that PSP was costing Sony $350 no manufacture?
I provided links in the official PSP thread. PSP cost/pricing predictions are all over the map, from $150 to $600. :/

Top Bottom