• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Ranked as Best Brand, Again

[7/8/2004 4:22:57 PM ET]

Harris Interactive’s annual Best Brands survey has a familiar name on top of the list, as Sony placed first in the poll for the fifth consecutive year.
****2,136 adults responded to the poll, with Harris adding that “survey responses were spontaneous and respondents were not asked to choose from among a list of brand names.”
****Below is the entire top ten for 2004, with last year’s ranking in parenthesis:
****1. Sony (1)
****2. Coca-Cola (7)
****3. Dell (3)
****4. Kraft (2)
****5. Toyota (not ranked)
****6. Ford (6)
****7. Honda (not ranked)
****8. Procter & Gamble (8)
****9. General Electric (10)
**10. General Motors (4)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Yeah, aside from trucks, Ford makes unreliable pieces of junk. Better than Kia, I suppose.

Toyota/Honda rock for their awesome reliability. I have a 92 accord. Total money spent on repairs: $130.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
neptunes said:
what a sample.

that's a very good sample size - assuming it was random.

Though that said, it's simply a poll of what consumers think is best and not any actual objective measures

Firest0rm

Damn right coke is second! Pepsi is just trying to hard to push down Coke. Their ads are just annoying. Especially those that specifically target Coke. The funny thing is that Coke doesn't even try to fight back, and they still woop Pepsi's ass. Now Coke can just create an ad based on this survey to shut Pepsi up :p.

As for Sony being best brand. Thats just really sad, I view Panasonic as a better brand for being cheaper while more reliable and durable.

DCX

DCX
Isn't this subject mater for the OT? I mean yeah Sony makes videogames but this is about the whole company rather than the PlayStation brand.

DCX

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Agreed. Panasonic is awesome, Pepsi commercials are cheap.

I'd rather drink coke because of the ads.

Agent X

ps2banana.gif

cvxfreak

Sony makes things look nice but on the inside, the cheaper Panasonic alternatives work just as well, if not better.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
it all depends what machine you are using - i hear the PS2 games look amazing on a Wega, huh Singh?

Alcibiades

CVXFREAK said:
Sony makes things look nice but on the inside, the cheaper Panasonic alternatives work just as well, if not better.

true, and Panasonic items (for me at least) last for a long, long time...

crappy old TV's from 80's, punch-holers, home/electronic appliances... I'm surprised some of my stuff is still alive...

DCharlie

Indeed.
People of the streets opinion vs. some sort of undefined value from an analysis firm.

When you look at the second list you suddenly realise a lot of big names are missing off the people on the streets list.

ughh.. panasonic sucks balls..
i bought a panasonic hd tv set and i've never been unhappier with an electronic product in my life.
for such an expensive set, my Sony has better picture quality and more than half the price too, although the sony isn't hd.
I would rank Pioneer above Panasonic anyday, Sony make great products and I would rate them number 1 myself.

Deg

Banned
Che said:
You're kidding right?

and why shouldnt MS be on any list like this?

The list Sonycowboy posted is a waste of time.

CurlySaysX said:
ughh.. panasonic sucks balls..
i bought a panasonic hd tv set and i've never been unhappier with an electronic product in my life.
for such an expensive set, my Sony has better picture quality and more than half the price too, although the sony isn't hd.
I would rank Pioneer above Panasonic anyday, Sony make great products and I would rate them number 1 myself.

Pioneer and Panasonic currently do better tv's(esoecially flat panels) and many other stuff better than Sony. Sony are lagging in many areas at moment and many of ther products are inferior to the competition. Hopefully their restructuring wil do them good.

i dont think sony make flat panel TVs.
Pioneer do make the best plasmas, by far.. panasonic's are nothing special.
Sony do everything better than Panasonic. This is a fact;
Portable music players, CRT's, Sound systems, projectors etc.
Plasmas wont be around for long either, or at least i hope not. they suck too much.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DCharlie said:
I'd have thought a company like Microsoft would have made the list.
They might just have an image issue with people on the street right now who have to worry about a weekly security hole in Windows on their PC or have to deal with the proliferation of spyware/adware thanks to weaknesses that can be exploited in IE.

DCharlie

Perhaps - but it's still a strong brand.
So is IBM, Intel, Disney etc etc...

I think people like Sony because they create stylish household equipment and are viewed as a guaranteed safe bet. IMO of course.

Firest0rm

CurlySaysX said:
Sony do everything better than Panasonic. This is a fact;

No thats just your opinion. However the number of opinions that so far agree with Panasonic being better in this thread are greater than the ones that think Sony is better. Add on to that the known fact of Sony products breaking down easily after a few years. This ranges from all kinds of electronics, and ofcourse the well known breaking down of the PS1 and to some extent the PS2 too.

Izzy

Banned
Firest0rm said:
No thats just your opinion. However the number of opinions that so far agree with Panasonic being better in this thread are greater than the ones that think Sony is better. Add on to that the known fact of Sony products breaking down easily after a few years. This ranges from all kinds of electronics, and ofcourse the well known breaking down of the PS1 and to some extent the PS2 too.

No, that's an anecdotal evidence. Independent survey shows otherwise.

Deg

Banned
kaching said:
They might just have an image issue with people on the street right now who have to worry about a weekly security hole in Windows on their PC or have to deal with the proliferation of spyware/adware thanks to weaknesses that can be exploited in IE.

Because so many people are moving away from IE ;)

A little tidbit about the survey.
These are some of the results of a nationwide Harris Poll of 2,136 adults surveyed by online by Harris Interactive® between June 10 and 16, 2004.

lol

Firest0rm

Izzy said:
No, that's an anecdotal evidence. Independent survey shows otherwise.

So you saying that independant surveys show that Sony is better than Panasonic? Can I please see these surveys?

Izzy

Banned
Harris Interactive (http://www.harrisinteractive.com) is a worldwide market research and consulting firm best known for The Harris Poll®, and for pioneering the Internet method to conduct scientifically accurate market research. Headquartered in Rochester, New York, Harris Interactive combines proprietary methodologies and technology with expertise in predictive, custom and strategic research. The Company conducts international research from its U.S. offices and through wholly owned subsidiaries-London-based HI Europe (http://www.hieurope.com), Paris-based Novatris and Tokyo-based Harris Interactive Japan -- as well as through the Harris Interactive Global Network of independent market -- and opinion-research firms.

NEW YORK, July 8 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- For the fifth year in a row, and the seventh time in the last ten years, Sony has been voted as the number one brand, according to the annual Harris Poll® of "best brands." Since the Harris Poll began measuring best brands in 1995, Sony has been named number one seven times (1996, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004).

This year's results are part of a nationwide Harris Poll of 2,136 adults surveyed online by Harris Interactive® between June 10 and 16, 2004. The survey asked respondents to name the three brands they considered the best. In the ten years since the annual Harris Poll of best brands began, Sony has never been lower than third. Sony led this year's list followed by Coca-Cola, Dell, Kraft and Toyota. The results of the survey were released today.

"We are very proud that the Harris Poll continues to recognize the value of the Sony brand. The strength of the Sony brand is a result of our continued dedication to quality and excellence across all of our businesses including electronics, videogames, motion pictures, television, digital entertainment, and music," said Tim Baxter, Senior Vice President, Strategic Marketing, Sony Corporation of America. "Our ability to sustain such high brand recognition consistently among consumers is a true testament to the innovation, creativity, and dedication of Sony employees around the world."

Sony Corporation of America, based in New York City, is the U.S. subsidiary of Sony Corporation, headquartered in Tokyo. Sony is a leading manufacturer of audio, video, communications, and information technology products for the consumer and professional markets. Its music, motion picture, television, computer entertainment, and online businesses make Sony one of the most comprehensive entertainment companies in the world. Sony's principal U.S. businesses include Sony Electronics Inc., Sony Pictures Entertainment, Sony Music Entertainment Inc., and Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. Sony recorded consolidated annual sales of over $72 billion for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2004, and it employs 162,000 people worldwide. Sony's consolidated sales in the U.S. for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2004, was $20.4 billion. Sony Corporation of America's homepage is: http://www.sony.com/SCA/index.shtml

These are some of the results of a nationwide Harris Poll of 2,136 adults surveyed

If you knew anything about the polls, you'd know that's actually a pretty thorough number.

Mr Gump

Banned
Considering the laser on my SECOND ps2 just died i disagree with this list.

No more ps2's for me. One should be enough.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Firest0rm said:
Damn right coke is second! Pepsi is just trying to hard to push down Coke. Their ads are just annoying. Especially those that specifically target Coke. The funny thing is that Coke doesn't even try to fight back, and they still woop Pepsi's ass. Now Coke can just create an ad based on this survey to shut Pepsi up :p.

As for Sony being best brand. Thats just really sad, I view Panasonic as a better brand for being cheaper while more reliable and durable.
Those soccer ads of pepsi made me drink pepsi

Top Bottom