• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Marine 2 Arsenal Trailer

I've been following this game, and maybe I'm just impatient but it sure seems to be getting a mere trickle of marketing material.

Awesome Jeff Goldblum GIF by First We Feast

Hudo

Total Gears clone mechanics wise but looks great!
If it's like the first Space Marine then it differs quite significantly in how the game is paced. Space Marine rewarded players for aggressive play by making finishers a main heal mechanic. So the game tried to get the player out of cover. That felt different enough to Gears 1 - 3 for me. Dunno if that changed with the newer Gears games, tho.

peek

Oh is it 30 fps on console? Damn, guess we down to 30 again... how it always is a few years into the consoles lifespan.

anthony2690

Nope, just a guess. I can't imagine with the amount of enemies on screen consoles will be able to keep up.
World War Z their prior game, what I assume this uses the same enemy horde tech as, is 60fps on consoles :)

Hopefully there is 60fps on consoles for this game.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Total Gears clone mechanics wise but looks great!

3pAJ04j.gif

• There is no cover in the game.
  • Healing requires aggressive gameplay.
  • Loadouts that includes Jump pack, LasGunss and Hammers.
  • Actual melee combat.
  • Literal hordes of enemies.
  • Chaos Undivided.

In fact i think it would be easier to list the things that are Gears-ish than to list the things that arent.
Youve either never played Gears or never played Space Marine........if id hazard a guess, it actually both.

So please go for it.....what makes this a Gears clone?

cover-is-for-the-weak_108119-1600x1200.jpg

Last edited:

peek

Tbf I get gears vibes just cuz of the look. You know the big BEEFY boys running around just destroying monsters/aliens with just their testosterone alone xD

Black_Stride

Tbf I get gears vibes just cuz of the look. You know the big BEEFY boys running around just destroying monsters/aliens with just their testosterone alone xD

Space Marines are much older than Gears characters.
So if anything Gears should evoke Space Marines not the other way round.
But splattered splattered said mechanically a Gears clone......so not even on looks but as in gameplay mechanics.......which is totally totally wrong.

I mean how fucking metal is this shit!
UybvkZ6.jpeg

splattered

Haha geez people so sensitive.

I've played all the gears games but not the space marine game, i've tried avoiding too many videos of space marine 2 as i wanna play the first one and then go into the second one blind.

I thought there was cover in these games, my bad guess not.

Aesthetically yes gears definitely "borrows" from this series... including chainsaw lancer. But gameplay still feels similar to gears games from this video imo.

Black_Stride

But gameplay still feels similar to gears games from this video imo.

1*HphbFgTy8BJ2SW_uauVDCg.gif

It plays nothing like Gears.
If you played Gears the way you play Space Marine even on casual, you are getting downed easy work.
Space Marines are walking tanks they are expected on the front line with nothing short of hero class enemies slowing them down.
Violence is the only answer, cover cowardice, retreat not an option.

The closest analogous game would probably be Doom'16 with Gears actually being on the opposite side of the spectrum.
Now you gonna tell me Doom'16 plays like Gears??

makaveli60

I almost know nothing about Warhammer 40k but what I could garner about this game here is that it looks insane and has quite a high chance that I will buy it day one (which I don’t even remember when I did last time, so this says a lot).

The other thing that I got to know about this franchise is that the fanbase is a crazy vehement bunch, not to mess with 😆

Last edited:
Yeah you guys gotta settle down a bit. Pretty easy to see how someone not close to the franchise would relate "Third person story-driven action game with big beefy armored dudes killing tons of insect aliens using guns and chainsaws" as similar to Gears of War, that's what I thought too. Sorry we didn't all play the one other game in the franchise thirteen years ago.

splattered

1*HphbFgTy8BJ2SW_uauVDCg.gif

It plays nothing like Gears.
If you played Gears the way you play Space Marine even on casual, you are getting downed easy work.
Space Marines are walking tanks they are expected on the front line with nothing short of hero class enemies slowing them down.
Violence is the only answer, cover cowardice, retreat not an option.

The closest analogous game would probably be Doom'16 with Gears actually being on the opposite side of the spectrum.
Now you gonna tell me Doom'16 plays like Gears??
Nope! Definitely looking forward to SM2 even more now though haha

Ive been watching 40k lore videos with my son on YouTube for like 6 months now so this should be a lot of fun.

Ive tried the table top with him a few times and I just couldn't do it, all the dice rolls so tedious. This should be a lot of fun though.

Black_Stride

Nope! Definitely looking forward to SM2 even more now though haha

Ive been watching 40k lore videos with my son on YouTube for like 6 months now so this should be a lot of fun.

Ive tried the table top with him a few times and I just couldn't do it, all the dice rolls so tedious. This should be a lot of fun though.

Initiating them young?
Your faith will be rewarded.

If youve got a PC not even a high powered one, and dont mind RTS games go through the Dawn of War games....2 and 3 have less base building and army management and play closer to top down RPGs than RTS though......ive heard from friends ive convinced to join the Imperium of Man that they are more approachable because of that.

Really good and will give you a surprising amount of lore even outside of cutscenes and missions because every unit has contextual barks which spill bits of lore.
By the time you actually finish the games, youll be quite versed and can jump into the novels.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Initiating them young?
Your faith will be rewarded.

If youve got a PC not even a high powered one, and dont mind RTS games go through the Dawn of War games....2 and 3 have less base building and army management and play closer to top down RPGs than RTS though......ive heard from friends ive convinced to join the Imperium of Man that they are more approachable because of that.

Really good and will give you a surprising amount of lore even outside of cutscenes and missions because every unit has contextual barks which spill bits of lore.
By the time you actually finish the games, youll be quite versed and can jump into the novels.
And the RTS curse of being not really able to push graphics past a certain point due to the distance means they still look like 'modern' games.

Rockman33

There is no cover in the game.
  • Healing requires aggressive gameplay.
  • Loadouts that includes Jump pack, LasGunss and Hammers.
  • Actual melee combat.
  • Literal hordes of enemies.
  • Chaos Undivided.

In fact i think it would be easier to list the things that are Gears-ish than to list the things that arent.
Youve either never played Gears or never played Space Marine........if id hazard a guess, it actually both.

So please go for it.....what makes this a Gears clone?
I love gears and think this game looks awesome! But to say there’s not plenty of similarities is ridiculous!
I love gears and think this game looks awesome! But to say there isn’t similarities is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

I love gears and think this game looks awesome! But to say there isn’t similarities is ridiculous.

I replay the whole Gears franchise every year in case a shadow drop happens or I find myself in Mexico.(never been bui getting more and more curious to visit).

A game per weekend whenever me and my wingman have a weekend free at the same time, a bunch of drinks, food that will kills us, girlfriends on paid for excursions....then we mulch.....we play on Insane(brothers till the end)......some times we dont complete the game over the weekend Gears 4 Lightening and every torque bow wielding bastard, Gears 5....you know where everyone dies on the harder difficulties.

But I digress....>Gears is a series I play over and over and over.
40K is a universe im so invested in ill eat almost anything they bring out.

Space Marine the first game............plays nothing like Gears.
The second game is building on the first with the new horde tech they are using.........

So as ludicrous as as you say it is.......please tell me the similarities between Space Marine and Gears in terms of gameplay. (Space Marine dont actually look like COGs either so dont even mention that)

Rockman33

I replay the whole Gears franchise every year in case a shadow drop happens or I find myself in Mexico.(never been bui getting more and more curious to visit).

A game per weekend whenever me and my wingman have a weekend free at the same time, a bunch of drinks, food that will kills us, girlfriends on paid for excursions....then we mulch.....we play on Insane(brothers till the end)......some times we dont complete the game over the weekend Gears 4 Lightening and every torque bow wielding bastard, Gears 5....you know where everyone dies on the harder difficulties.

But I digress....>Gears is a series I play over and over and over.
40K is a universe im so invested in ill eat almost anything they bring out.

Space Marine the first game............plays nothing like Gears.
The second game is building on the first with the new horde tech they are using.........

So as ludicrous as as you say it is.......please tell me the similarities between Space Marine and Gears in terms of gameplay. (Space Marine dont actually look like COGs either so dont even mention that)
When I watch the trailers and if you have played gears it’s hard not to see similarities. Big burly men, massive amounts of armor, 3rd person perspective, massive amounts of gore.

I HAVNT PLAYED space marines. That’s why I didn’t say it plays like gears.

doesn’t mean that’s a bad thing or the game is going to be a copy. But to the average fly by 40k individual this looks like gears.

I loved WWZ and I’m loving what this game looks like so far. So I’m in day 1.

Top Bottom