• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speak two languages, you won't be senile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was awful at languages i could never grasp french or spanish.

Who am i? I just pee'd my pants. Hello? I don't know where i live. I'm going to Disney Land!

Pfff, three and a half (lol, say three and a quarter) and I've barely studied any. I come from a bilingual region, plus english which is a must, plus some german. I'll start french whenever I can, and I'm still way behind where I'd like to be. It's relatively common if you live in Europe and move around just a little bit.

But the article doesn't refer to "learning" languages, but true bilingualism, which is harder to find/achieve. I heard a long time ago that it helps keeping your mind sharp and improves general abstraction, but I can't remember the details. Of course it doesn't hurt, but after all it's another boring test that finds its way to the press.

kablooey

The tests of people who grew up speaking English and either Tamil or French suggested that having to juggle two languages keeps the brain elastic and may help prevent some of the mental slowing caused by age, the researchers said.

Hahaha, you gotta be kidding me! Those are the two other languages I can speak, sort of (Tamil and French). I won't be going senile anytime soon then. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom