• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Don't think Mizushima is anyone to get excited over (although mild interest is just fine I suppose), and it's some kind of moe tank-girl show . . . gross.

Sounds boring. After moe aircraft and moe guns who cares about moe tanks?

Saint Seiya Omega 7

Definitely better than last week's episode, but still not really up to the quality I want, especially from a tournament arc in a series with a wide variety of techniques and strategies. At least Koga's fight looked cool even if it was underwhelming (though nowhere near as much as Yuna's).

Saint Seiya Omega 7

Definitely better than last week's episode, but still not really up to the quality I want, especially from a tournament arc in a series with a wide variety of techniques and strategies. At least Koga's fight looked cool even if it was underwhelming (though nowhere near as much as Yuna's).

What quality do you want? Its doing everything pretty well for the genre, in my opinion, if not better. I looked forward to it each week just as much as Naruto Shippuden/hxh.

What quality do you want? Its doing everything pretty well for the genre, in my opinion, if not better. I looked forward to it each week just as much as Naruto Shippuden/hxh.

First of all, I find the length to be an issue. Tournament arcs are good because they introduce a bunch of new characters and give them time to shine. Yuna's fight was over in like a minute and many haven't even been shown. I'm not saying a battle with some no-name has to last an entire episode, but I enjoy seeing characters fleshed out in fights. It's why I consider Flame of Recca and Yu Yu Hakusho the front-runners of this aspect of the genre.

And then there's just the content of the fights themselves. I don't think Koga's was bad, but it was just really average. This is a series with a heavy focus on elements; why not incorporate that into a strategy? Instead, the elements become irrelevant and it just ends up being about
who has the stronger beam attack.
Now don't get me wrong; as cliche as they are, I do like
kamehameha battles.
I just like them more when there's enough buildup and a bit of strategy prior to that.

You use HxH as an example which is what I'm talking about. The recent episode of the remake series consisted mostly of Hisoka trying to figure out Kastro's ability and think up a counterattack. That's the kind of stuff I want in tournament arcs.

Eden of the East 06
lXkq8.jpg
This episode was full of dynamic entries.
So, more plot. Much more plot from the non mysterious stranger side. I am liking how both stories are pretty much merging together now.
Frankly, I'm split on if I care if whathisface ends up dying or not.

Jex

Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou 7

I think this was the first story to last 2 episodes in the series so far unless I'm forgetting one from the first season. Wouldn't mind seeing more of them if they remain the same quality.

Trust me, you really don't want to see any more of them. Ever.

Eden of the East 07
Pretty much my reaction to the last two minutes of the episode.
I was very much amused by Juiz and her again surprised efficiency in performing the tasks and her snappy comments now after every task. But no, serious, those last two minutes were pretty much wtf. Awesome wtf moment, but still.

Jex

HD Mastered show - BD
SD Mastered show with a good upscale and DTS HD MA or Dolby THD - BD
SD Mastered show with bad upscale but respectable DVD encode - DVD
Anything else - Pass.

Yes. Or, in short, if it looks better than the DVD, get it.

survivor

Banned
About that...
Trust me, you really don't want to see any more of them. Ever.
:(

Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou 8

I don't think I will ever understand why sometimes returning a youkai name makes them disappear. I think some of them just had their names returned and no flashy shinning lights happened and then some youkai like to have a festival when their name gets returned.

Like in this episode
did the mermaid leave the lake?

First of all, I find the length to be an issue. Tournament arcs are good because they introduce a bunch of new characters and give them time to shine. Yuna's fight was over in like a minute and many haven't even been shown. I'm not saying a battle with some no-name has to last an entire episode, but I enjoy seeing characters fleshed out in fights. It's why I consider Flame of Recca and Yu Yu Hakusho the front-runners of this aspect of the genre.

And then there's just the content of the fights themselves. I don't think Koga's was bad, but it was just really average. This is a series with a heavy focus on elements; why not incorporate that into a strategy? Instead, the elements become irrelevant and it just ends up being about
who has the stronger beam attack.
Now don't get me wrong; as cliche as they are, I do like
kamehameha battles.
I just like them more when there's enough buildup and a bit of strategy prior to that.

You use HxH as an example which is what I'm talking about. The recent episode of the remake series consisted mostly of Hisoka trying to figure out Kastro's ability and think up a counterattack. That's the kind of stuff I want in tournament arcs.

I guess I could see that but seems like it is going a bit too deep for me and for the scope or purpose of the anime at least for what Kouga and others are trying to achieve. In those other anime it seems the tournaments were set just for characters to be number one, with characters willingly entering for that sake (didnt see YYH nor get far in Recca). Omega is more like, Kouga just wanting to meet his Athena. I think the extent they did buildup and strategizing with Kouga's fight was pretty well done. Other characters like it, like Yuna, would have dragged the tourney out though, and would anyone honestly want it with Yuna, shes not even a powerhouse for that matter.

And for the last episode, friendship and camaraderie was the focus instead of skills, and at least it led to an explosive outcome, which is all good.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Motion Capture can't be sakuga. Traditional CGI animation can.

Watch Night of the Werehog, that had plenty of sakuga!

I agree with this. Sega's CG animation department is IMO better than Square's in terms of animation (not mocap). Night of the Werehog is particularly impressive.

Eden of the East 08
Stalking for love.
A relatively boring episode, really. Like there are little hints of something being thrown everywhere, investigations going very slowly, if anything a little let down from the last episode.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
One Piece 13

This was a fairly boring episode that mostly just set the stage for what seems to be the final battle(s). Not much else to say, other than that Zoro is still the best character, and Jango is the first semi-decent villain.

Articalys

I was wondering why this news wasn't posted in this thread for almost an hour after it was announced. Skepticism?
Then again I missed the fact that the OT thread was created until now too, so who knows.

Articalys

Yeah, it's probably not going to be anything special, but hey, anime news is anime news.
Plus, baby steps towards getting anime back on cable TV isn't a bad thing.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I don't even know what's the point of this, 1999 is not coming back and anime has been dead for many years now, what are they going to show? dragon ball,dragon ball z and dragon ball gt forever?

I'd watch the block if it had the old line-up.

Risette

A Good Citizen
It pains me to see people get excited for the Toonami revival when it's just going to be an extended DVD/BD commercial for DBZ and YYH.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sailor Moon R 55
PPVeH.jpg

Uguu~

As predicted, it was a Mako episode! And Usagi went insane.

Iq9sf.jpg

ymZxe.jpg

Anyway. every hot male in existence reminds poor Makoto of her ex, and Seijuro is no exception.

HDGVS.jpg

She sees his...

After she outwits the other hordes of fangirls and manages to be the one to share lunch with him, she slowly discovers that his idea of love is quite different than her ideal, and he
probably isn't Moonlight Knight.

ubrdk.jpg

Someone isn't very happy about Seijuro's unfaithfulness!

After some battles with a shampooed youma, she decides that
he isn't Moonlight Knight
, but because he's so insensitive to love he's just like her ex and so she'll chase him anyway.

TMV1L.jpg

Mars needs to learn to control her firebending more

Poor Mako is never going to win. :(

So what are they going to show? Gurren Lagann? Upotte? Queen's Blade? Manyuu Hikenchou?
Eiken?
One of these things is not like the others, one of these things doesn't belong~
I like YYH. I like DBZ too.

But I'm just calling it like I see it. Also they're going to be airing the dubs and the dubs are... not so good.
If it introduces a new generation to those shows, I'm okay with it. *shrug* I doubt Cartoon Network will be getting a cut of the DVD/Blu-ray profits, but it will probably make negotiations easier with Funimation.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
YOU GET TO BURNING

Nozomi Entertainment revealed the highly anticipated MARTIAN SUCCESSOR NADESICO Complete Collection L.E. will be available on Sept. 4, 2012.

The MARTIAN SUCCESSOR NADESICO Complete Collection L.E. DVD set will feature the entire 26-episode television series and its sequel motion picture (Prince of Darkness), as well as its Gekigangar 3 OVA spin-off. This will be the first time Gekigangar 3 will be available to North American audiences.

It will also include remastered video from the Japanese DVD release for the Nadesico TV series and Gekigangar 3 OVA and the previously released English-language dub (TV series and film), plus Japanese audio, English-language subtitles and on-screen translations, and on-disc extras. The limited-edition set’s seven discs will be housed in a Thinpak-style, full-color chipboard art box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom