• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spybot Question that doesn't involve OMG I HAVE SPYWARE WHAT SHOULD i DO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andthebeatgoeson

Are there any programs/spyware that can take over Spybot and Ad-aware to prevent them from doing their job? I just checked Spybot and the homepage. My version hasn't had an update since March. And I look on their front page, and they had a detection update in early June. I'm trying to figure out why, even when I tried to update just a few minutes ago, my copy didn't see the update.

I know there are a few of you who use Spybot, so have you guys had updates regularly? I'm looking at my log, and I see the attempts to check updates, but no actual updates since the spring.

Well, I've d/l the newest version, 1.3. I had 1.2. I uninstalled the old version and will make a new attempt. I'll update you guys if it picked anything up.

Alcibiades

I think what is happening, and I have the exact problem, some spyware homepage with Search things and stuff on it, is that there is stuff that keeps re-installing itself...

I suggest looking for a forum where there is someone that knows how to use the program HiJackThis (which you should never use but with instructions from a pro) and asking for help, that is how I got rid of some stuff a couple of weeks ago...

I think the problem is with some registry keys or something...

Yes more than likely the registry has been corrupted with some BHO keys Browser Help Objects.

You are going to need a copy of Hijack this and CWShredder you also may want to look at msconfig to see what programs are being loaded at start up. That can give you an idea of what to look for.

I think download.com will have the updates for download seperately. But I think that may be for adaware. Try going that route and see what happens. It might catch something thats causing spybot to act horky..

*edit* yeah what slick advised is pretty good as well. Also, check add remove programs for weird shit that may have been installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom