• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square plans 2.5 million copies of Dragon Quest 8

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Glad to see that SquareEnix knows how much of a killing they are going to make. How much longer do we poor plebians need to wait for the translated version. :(

I'll have to have my Slime controller console me.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Anyone expecting DQ8 to have any critical gameplay differences from 1-7 is setting themselves up for disappointment.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Funny how low they've planned for sales-wise. Expecting at least 3 million in Japan.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Uh the 2.5mil figure is for launch, not lifetime, right?

While DQ7 sold 4mil+ there overall, it also didn't cost ~Y9000 at release.

Drek

speedpop said:
Funny how low they've planned for sales-wise. Expecting at least 3 million in Japan.
Maybe they're just looking to create a fervor that will hopefully get it some extra media coverage around the world.

What's a better headline to grab the casual gamer with, 3M copies of DQ8 sold in Japan or 2.5M copies sold in an hour, because you know that even if Square could have only sold 3M copies of the game, saying they'll release only 2.5M will just make everyone rush out to buy as soon as physically possible, even moreso than it would have otherwise.

Its kinda like how Sony hyped the PS2. Everyone wants what they can't have.

For reference, they didn't even ship 2million units of DQ7 in the initial first day shipment. So this is pretty significant.

belgurdo

Banned
The gameplay trailer looked rockin' but I really hope they fixed some of the stuff that plagued other games in the series (incredibly long and boring beginnings, slow combat, useless abilites)

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Thank you very much Guns N' Poop, unfortunately there's some codec error (it pauses near the beginning) so I'll go ahead and convert it to see if that fixes it.

Ranger X

dog$ said:
Anyone expecting DQ8 to have any critical gameplay differences from 1-7 is setting themselves up for disappointment.

Yeah? and how can you say such a thing?

Level may just save the boat i guess. They are no fucktards as Enix to not to do anything good with Dragon Quest i'm pretty sure.

jarrod

Banned
Wyzdom said:
Level may just save the boat i guess. They are no fucktards as Enix to not to do anything good with Dragon Quest i'm pretty sure.
Can you repeat that, I think I'm missing something?

Culex

Banned
Wyzdom said:

?

English please?

I'll translate.

Level 5 isn't full of fucktards like Enix is. They're going to save the series by revitalizing the gameplay.

Note: I disagree. A whole goddamn lot.

jarrod

Banned
cubicle47b said:
I'll translate.

Level 5 isn't full of fucktards like Enix is. They're going to save the series by revitalizing the gameplay.

Note: I disagree. A whole goddamn lot.
BARF!!! If the Dark Cloud games are anything to go by, Armor Project holding the gameplay reigns is the best thing for DQ8. Level 5 makes nice looking, badly designed games on their own.

jarrod said:
BARF!!! If the Dark Cloud games are anything to go by, Armor Project holding the gameplay reigns is the best thing for DQ8. Level 5 makes nice looking, badly designed games on their own.

Dark Cloud 2 is the absolute best game this generation. Bar none.

jarrod

Banned
Dark Cloud 2 is a mess in desperate need of cohesive game design and focus. And good dungeons. Biggest letdown this gen, bar none.

Oh and thanks cubicle, I like it too. :)

Ranger X

Wyzdom said:

lololol my bad. Some french construction of some sort i did use and i didn't noticed lol

ferricide

jarrod said:
Dark Cloud 2 is a mess in desperate need of cohesive game design and focus.
IAWTP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111

the two teams' previous projects having weak, meandering story (armor project / DWVII) + weak, meandering gameplay (level 5 / dark cloud 2) does not fill me up with confidence. dearie me, no. plus DQ isn't exactly a gameplay powerhouse series. VII was bent so far behind the curve it actually sprained itself.

it will be really interesting to see how much input level 5 had from a gameplay perspective. hopefully there will actually be a reason to play this game.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Jarrod couldn't be any more right, doing so would break the laws of the universe or something. I kid, I kid. I had fun with Dark Cloud 2. I sunk in a good 40 or so hours but the terrible combat engine and boring dungeon layout got to me.

ANYWAYS, I converted the video to .mpg and I couldn't be any more excited. God I hope this game delivers.

EDIT: The fat King Slime rocks!

Top Bottom