• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stadias London "Pop Up" store event is just a couple plastic tents and some tables and half a trailer. LA event won't let people film. Swagga Blanket.

So a user here had hyped up some kind of large Pop Up event for Stadia, and to be fair so did Google who decided to take it a bit too far, talking about how Stadia will have major "pop up" stores in cities "across the world" which translated to only 3 cities, 2 of which are today, and these events will have demos and "da swagga" to give out to the "fans".

Apparently the LA event did not allow people to film, and judging from how there's nothing online showing that event, even images, I do believe that claim to be true. Though it could just be that like 5 people showed up, and Google was too embarrassed to allow photos and filiming.

For the London event, I found this video by obsessed reddit user who defends Stadia, perhaps he is a certain user on GAF:

If you ignore his yammering and skip around to when he actually moves the camera to show his surroundings, you see plastic tents with some tables, and one more shot of what looks like half a trailer or one of those moving containers you buy at U-haul. There are no major props, and the only demos I can see are in that half trailer, which seems like it can only fit a few people and has one screen.

There's also only a handful of people there, and some of those are walking by and not actually there for Stadia based on the movement I can see in the background of this guys very suspicious video, almost like he was trying to hid something. Hmmmm.

Apparently someone on Reddit got a Blanket:

2ui9wchnv0441.jpg

Looks slightly plastic with that sheen and those creases, but it could also just be very thin, making it a useless blanket, especially during winter. Another failed product from Google. Oh I'm sorry, it's that Stadia "swagga" you can "win" at these events. So Hype, much lol.

Plot Twist, this is all I could find on this event in both cities, so maybe because the British guy was a super fanboy he was allowed to show SOME of the London event, but had to keep the camera on himself most of the time???

I find it weird that Google hyped up an event that they tell people not to film at. I guess the real reason is that across both events only about 12 people showed up put together.

Welp, I guess that's it, Google produces another lie and disappointment yet again.

It's over, Stadia is dead. No one is talking about it on Gamespot, no one is talking about it on IGN, no one is talking about it on Reset, no one is talking about it in the media anymore outside niche outlets, and look at how many posts were in this thread before I came? Zero.

Google messed up and they can't recover, there is no further interest in this product by the majority, and while I'm sorry for those who fell for the bullshit, Google has always been bullshit and it's your own damn fault you decided to trust them again. So it's time to move on and pretend like this never happened, because that's exactly what Google is going to do.

They should spend the Stadia budget on something constructive, like improving their smartphones so that they actually sell. :messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire:

Nickolaidas

Buh buh buh but ... STADIA IS THE FUTURE!!!

And in all seriousness, it is.

But as long as there are countries who mostly have 24Mbps connections, the future is not today.

But as long as there are countries who mostly have 24Mbps connections, the future is not today.
It's only 'the future' if we can come up with a way to get around the laws of physics or have millions more data centres all around the world.

Game streaming is and always will be fundamentally different to passively enjoyed media like music, movies and TV shows in ways that are basically impossible to ever fully compensate for, and vastly more expensive to provide said content for.

Companies are scrambling to make streaming services because they think there's huge profits to be made, not because it's the natural evolution of gaming.

It's a bubble that will burst, just as how Netflix is losing money hand over fist while a dozen other massive corporations are trying to all warm themselves on the same guttering candle that's no longer sustaining them.

ROMhack

This thread is a bit dumb hmm. If you've been to that part of London you'd know that the BOX PARK isn't somewhere you can hold a big event. It's a small, cramped area that primarily caters to boutique stores and catering pop-ups built into old shipping containers. That would also likely explain why many people weren't there just for Stadia.

Edit:

Of course it's still worth asking why they decided to hold it there in the first place. And doesn't explain the shoddy blankets.

Last edited:
This thread is a bit dumb. If you've been to that part of London then you'd know that the BOX PARK isn't somewhere you can hold a big event. It's a small, cramped area that primarily caters to boutique stores and catering pop-ups. That would also explain why many people weren't there for Stadia. It doesn't make much sense for Google to hold it there to me but, much like the console, it seems like a bit of a rush job in general.

Source: Used to work next to it.
If their commercial budget is anything to go by, they probably didn't want to spend much more than this space anyways.

ROMhack

If their commercial budget is anything to go by, they probably didn't want to spend much more than this space anyways.

Probably. No argument from me that their marketing has been rubbish. I think they held it there because they wanted to pull in workers from nearby tech companies.

Justin9mm

I've heard of pop up stores for food but a gaming platform..? C'mon!

If you need to do pop up store for this then you are failing hard!

Neofire

Companies are scrambling to make streaming services because they think there's huge profits to be made
Nail on the head. Companies want people to think they are trying to push streaming services to make making better for the users, FoH. How is it better considering the huge draw backs. Latency, data caps, lack of game ownership, ect.

I, for one, am glad it's flopping.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

What do you think people mean when they say "Video game streaming is the future"?

Top Bottom