• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Legacy_

The stupid thing is that you eventually unlock the gun anyway. Paying an extra $10 for early unlocks is ridiculous.

Hold up, Deluxe Edition came with the DL-44 unlocked? That's ridiculous. I unlocked it after less than a week playing, I could understand if it was available around level 40 but it's fairly straightforward to get if you play while completing challenges. I'm truly shocked

DavidDesu

Had a couple of games of Turning Point on Jakku earlier. Constantly getting pulse cannoned from people hidden in fallen AT AT's and the homing shot. It does suck the fun out of it. I just wish everyone was on a more even keel and we all just had blaster rifles. That DL-44 is just ridiculous in most other game modes, really soul destroying being shot instantly with no chance of reply. I loved this game in the beginning but if these issues don't get nixed soon im not sure how much more I can take :(

Wish they'd just go the whole hog and simplify this to like 5 weapon choices that all have real benefits and downsides rather than a few ridiculously unfair weapons that also don't particularly fit into the Star Wars universe as I know it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Have you been in an airspeeder and tried to take down an AT-AT lately? Most times I try it now I have my jammer on and still lose the cable attempt due to normal blaster fire. I've also managed to get multiple airspeeders to release, using normal blaster fire. It really is as simple as they get shot and release.

Personally I have not, however, all of us shooting the shit out of them, even with rockets in the last phase of Tatooine has done nothing to prevent the walkers from dropping in seconds. Maybe the map is bugged?

I hated getting owned by the DL-44 every game, so I said "fuck it. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em". I'm using it now. Watching my k/d ratio move up as a result.

Honestly I feel bad using it, as it's way OP and almost sucks the fun out of it. But then again, if everyone is using it I'm just playing on an even playing field.

It's really not that OP, try the SE-14, it outmatches it in every single way.

jond76

Banned
I have a weird bug where my first spawn of a match I can't use my cards (the shoulder buttons). Anyone else have that? On xbox.

Same. For that achievement being a hero is a must, unless you're amazing with the A-Wing.

I got mine with an A-wing and then immediately in the next match duplicated the trophy requirements with a Tie Interceptor. I have the video of the Trophy win as proof if anyone cares.

moai

"Who is winning?" And they dont give us that stat. Right now the game is heavily imbalanced towards rebels, they get to win 100% of endors WA and on the other maps ive seen totally incompetent rebel teams that only get 5-6 ywings total and win by cable towing down both atat at the last stage. Dice respond to this by removing air vehicles for imperials on the last stages.
Why?

Toa TAK

Banned
I love Turning Point, like the other big modes like Walker Assault and Surpemacy.

Can never seem to win as the Imperials, though. AT-STs go down so fast.

What's the best way to get the "Precision shot, Get 10 headshots with the cycler rifle (multiplayer)" trophy if you're horrible at headshots?

Git guud?

See lots of moaning about the DL44 and all I can think of is how fucking overpowered the DH-17 is. It's near impossible to win vs someone who has it unless you get lucky and they miss you. Gun is a fucking joke and it's single handedly ruining the game for me.

moai

What's the best way to get the "Precision shot, Get 10 headshots with the cycler rifle (multiplayer)" trophy if you're horrible at headshots?

Git guud?

The cycler rifle is one of the few weapons that require skill because it has bullet drop. I couldnt make a headshot until i started to use it as a bf4 weapon. playing this game you become used to pinpoint accuracy from all blasters.
To make things easier go for the people that use turrets and stationary weapons and adjust for bulletdrop to get the headshot.

Git guud?

Try it in dropzone or droidrun. When players are claiming the droid or pod they sit still for a few seconds, you take out your cycler rifle and.... Boom! Headshot!

DrKelpo

Banned

Git guud?

basically.
but there are spots where its easier to get.
for example the last phase in walker assault on sullust, to name just one.

imperials come through the rocky middle part and often hide behind the rocks there to snipe the rebels at the last uplink. when the enemies are sitting still, its easier to pick them up.

adj_noun

"Who is winning?" And they dont give us that stat. Right now the game is heavily imbalanced towards rebels, they get to win 100% of endors WA and on the other maps ive seen totally incompetent rebel teams that only get 5-6 ywings total and win by cable towing down both atat at the last stage. Dice respond to this by removing air vehicles for imperials on the last stages.
Why?

Would have loved to have seen some A-Wing stats. Or some Fighter Squadron win %'s.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why?

Agreed. It is rather discouraging, but I am holding out hope it will change, or why don't we tweet the designers with links to this thread?

Community Test Environment. Basically, a staging area for balancing changes and new content.

DICE has been using it with Battlefield 4 for the past year or so (I think) and it's wonderful. They test balancing ideas (I think it actually started as a way of testing that), gameplay methods to increase teamwork, as well as early access to DLC as a way of getting early input/feedback on balancing.

For BF4 specifically, they also used the CTE to build a community-driven map, where the community got to choose the locale, map locations/landmarks, design, etc.

Prior to that, BF3 and 4 often suffered from DICE's patented overcorrection whenever they tried to balance. It still happens but its more rare and they're quicker to correct it.

Jesus, played some 5 or 6 matches of turning point and my team lost every single one of them. And that was changing teams after each round. WTF?

Hated it for this reason :|

ramyeon

The balance against beginning players is bizarre to me, and the credit unlock system seems unnecessarily prohibitive. It actively discourages variation in set up, since, early on, credits aren't easy to accumulate.

Like, I knew going in that the Jet Pack would be one of my core pieces. It opened up the game in beta for me, and I had a lot of success both defensively and offensively using it. Because the initial unlock costs so much, I had to choose between further upgrading the piece that I knew would be core, or saving it for 2 levels later when I would have to purchase a trait. I couldn't do both.

I also passed over more than a few unlocks to be able to ensure that I had the credits right when I hit level 13. And this is with me beating over 2/3 of the Battlefront Companion sieges.

I can't help but feel that the better setup would have been unlock on level, with upgrades costing steep amounts of credits. The last thing this game needs to do is stifle variation.

As is, players in the sub-25 levels literally can either afford to be competitive or afford to try out the various unlocks, but not both.

TL;DR: Get your fucking capitalism out of my Star Wars.
The credit system is horrible. It really ruins the game for me at this point, having just started it. It feels like such a grind and not even an easy one since I'm so outclassed by every other player in matches. I honestly feel like I spend most of my time dying and respawning.

I really want to love this because it is just so gorgeous but it just feels like it's unnecessarily difficult to get into.

Naudi

Banned
The credit system is horrible. It really ruins the game for me at this point, having just started it. It feels like such a grind and not even an easy one since I'm so outclassed by every other player in matches. I honestly feel like I spend most of my time dying and respawning.

I really want to love this because it is just so gorgeous but it just feels like it's unnecessarily difficult to get into.

I don't know why this gets said so often. Most people could use all starting gear and have a good score at the end of the match. Starter weapons are still decent and other then that an extra grenade isn't going to make or break your ability to kill people.

Digby

Neo Member
why dont they make a game mode for walker assault and the other objective based types and lock the weapons to basic blasters and cards for each team? Call it cinema mode or something. The people who just want to play the objectives and use teamwork pretending its empire strikes back would use that mode, and others that want to launch homing shots from across the map can play the other mode.

I realized that i had the most fun playing the game when i first started, before the jumppacks and pulse rifles. Everyone else was using the same basic gear and the matches played out completely different. It was a more balanced game to me.

It's cute that they didn't give us any win percentages on the info graphic, such as winrate totals or even per map for let's say Walker Assault.

I snagged Palpatine a few times today. Whereas I loved him at release, I can't really play him anymore. He's squishy, his force lightning runs out fast and doesn't kill fast enough, meaning that you almost always will take some hits in return. Chain lightning is nice, but a tad situational. It's weird because he's squishy as hell, doesn't really have good defense, has a relatively low effective range (compared to Leia) but does less damage than her.

- Increase the range on his normal force lightning and perhaps decrease the rate at which it depletes
- Increase the damage on normal force lightning significantly
- Unlimited block (his block doesn't have any offensive properties)

I refuse to play Fett, so I generally alternate between Vader and the Emperor. Mostly Vader though because my shock troopers generally bail out and on his own he's just a magnet for explosives.

ramyeon

I don't know why this gets said so often. Most people could use all starting gear and have a good score at the end of the match. Starter weapons are still decent and other then that an extra grenade isn't going to make or break your ability to kill people.
Because that's my experience with the game so far?

I can't comment on why it gets said often - I haven't read anything about the game or any of the comments on it up until now.

I will often be killed in a couple of hits while it takes me significantly more to take anyone down.

jackdoe

The jetpack and ion weapons can make or break your ability to contribute to your team winning. If you only have starting equipment, you could still get a lot of kills by taking a vehicle or hero token. But in every other case, starting equipment (and no star cards) would get decimated by someone with a jetpack and explosive shot.

Podge293

The jetpack and ion weapons can make or break your ability to contribute to your team winning. If you only have starting equipment, you could still get a lot of kills by taking a vehicle or hero token. But in every other case, starting equipment (and no star cards) would get decimated by someone with a jetpack and explosive shot.

I'm not super far into the game (level 15 or something) but I still use the starter weapons. Not that bothered to upgrade as I'm still pulling in a decent match each time I play. Haven't experienced too much issue against jet packs and ion weapons yet

If everyone has it they really should just roll it into the base game now and not have the Jakuu/no Jakuu option. Matchmaking on PC is still shit, and an extra planet in the rotation would be nice for everything.

Naudi

Banned

I dont use the jetpack or explosive shot, mostly ion for destroying turrets is all. But the point i was trying to make is i can go right now with all starter gear and be positive KDR(mostly lol), and i bet a lot of other people could do the same. I think getting comfortable with the maps and the general flow of the the modes is much more important. I also only play large game modes so that may not be as true for the smaller ones.

Also some advice for people that want to level up and are feeling out geared try fighter squadron! equal footing for all and very fast matches for easy profit.

If everyone has it they really should just roll it into the base game now and not have the Jakuu/no Jakuu option. Matchmaking on PC is still shit, and an extra planet in the rotation would be nice for everything.

Wait, they haven't officially rolled it into the base game yet? Even though it's available for everyone?

lolDICE

It really feels like they've got a skeleton crew on this game, they must be cranking hard on BF5 or something already.

OmegaFax

Is no one playing Supremacy on +Jakku at all right now on PS4? I can't get a game of anything but Turning Point.

It's been that way since the map was released last week. I'm still going to attribute it to people not installing the Jakku map update. Does EA/DICE normally not roll DLC into title updates? Kind of worried about the player pool once more DLC arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom