• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roussow

Serious question; why is the A-Wing superior to all other base ships?
I imagined it's just as good as the X-wing briefly looking at the abilities.

Keep bombarding DICE twitter accounts about rolling Jakku into the base game. It's a bit ridiculous that they are separated. It's screwing over matchmaking for other modes besides Turning Point.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm either over being a graphics whore or my setup is just too small to tell what's what. I had been playing the 900p MGSV after 1080p RotTR and it looked fine, and now I've watched youtube videos of 720p Battlefront and it also looks fine. I'm sitting like 6 feet away from a 24" monitor so I guess that's it?

The game actually looks very good on all platforms. Yes it is more crisp in the PS4, but the engine's bells and whistles, decent AA solution that doe snot blur, and the performance really makes this game shine.

If the image quality is really well done with these modern engines, then the lower resolution is not as muddy as games of the past I noticed.

Maybe you're just a cool person who's easier to please and is all-around neat because you care more about how a game plays, feels, what kind of story it tells.

Well there is that. ;)

I think PC did it to me. Jumping around between state of the art stuff, 20 year old adventure games, indie games, etc. I guess something sank in about what I'm really in it for. New games like this look RIDICULOUSLY NICE to me, anyway. Dozens/hundreds of artists investing into one thing generally comes out pretty awesome.

This stuff too. I do love me some state of the art, eye melting graphics, but I also appreciate fantastic art direction, great story telling, and smooth performance/gameplay.

Combined with shields, which are far more useful than the boost. I feel so safe in an A-Wing, it's silly.

A-Wings are not supposed to have shields either (at least not forward shields by the lore, so ramming with them even frustrates us SW purists more). That is the silly part. It should be speed boost if anything.

Keep bombarding DICE twitter accounts about rolling Jakku into the base game. It's a bit ridiculous that they are separated. It's screwing over matchmaking for other modes besides Turning Point.

Hopping on now to do so.

FeD.nL

Why don't they give us Rebels vs. Imperial WA win/loss stats? And that A-Wing effect in Fighter Squadron, lol.

At least the Hero ships appear more balanced.

But their balancing for the Snowspeeders -.-'.

Oh less than <1% of the AT-AT Kills are by harpoon lets remove all air support for the Imperials on the last phase of all the maps. Jesus if this is the balancing effort that DICE is gonna put in for this game then I've got a bad feeling about it.

Raven77

Anyone having this issue where team mates don't have names or any indicator at all above their heads? It makes playing the game on hoth maps especially difficult.

B-Dex

Sometimes there is no cover. Or even kills you while you ARE behind cover. Do you have a video of it being dodged on foot without the use of jet pack?

I've dodged it without using a jump pack. And if the EXPLOSION is killing you don't be up against the cover.

Smaller hitbox

The smaller hitbox isn't really the issue. The hitbox is just broken. When an A-Wing is turning you will and can land shots on it. You'll see the lasers not miss but they will explode right on its ass except that for whatever reason they won't do damage and no it isn't that the shield is up. So for the vast majority of people out there, as long as you are turning with the A-Wing you become practically invincible to anything but missiles. The only time you are really vulnerable is when you are going straight since the lasers will go straight and eventually land in the center of the ship doing damage.

I shall pester them until they get a legal injunction to stop harrasing them against me.

Anyone have any guesses as to who the four heroes/villains released in the season pass content will be? My Guess is Finn & Rey as heroes, and Kylo Rey & Captain Phasma. Aside from Lando as another possible choice as a OT hero, I can't think of anyone else as a possibility, especially for the empire. Except Tarkin maybe? but that would be a stretch.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Anyone have any guesses as to who the four heroes/villains released in the season pass content will be? My Guess is Finn & Rey as heroes, and Kylo Rey & Captain Phasma. Aside from Lando as another possible choice as a OT hero, I can't think of anyone else as a possibility, especially for the empire. Except Tarkin maybe? but that would be a stretch.

I'm still squarely in the "I don't really see many new movie characters popping up" camp. It's a smart tie-in move, but DICE has even gone on record -- recently -- that Battlefront will be a Galactic Civil War/OT experience through and through. (They're clearly saving that New Trilogy/Anthology frenzy for a potential sequel.)

That written, my guesses are: one of either Lando or Obi-Wan, Chewbacca, one of either IG-88 or Bossk, and then finally the surprise announcement of Kylo Ren, "just because."

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I don't see any of the new characters, unless maps and modes advance the timeline. However, they did say in the past they want to stay in the OT for this game.

I would guess Chewie/Ben Kenobi or Lando vs. IG88 or Bossk/Royal Guard. I would be shocked if it were Tarkin, lol. They may shock us with Darth Maul. That dude just sells, lol.

adj_noun

I've yet to think of anything that really cracks the OT Imperial hero problem. You have cameo bounty hunters, officers that don't fight, and...

Sayers

I liked how Killzone: Shadowfall handled it. They released all of their maps for free and whenever they did, you could not sign in to multiplayer until you downloaded the new maps. DICE should do the same.

Man im rewatching the OT movies and god damn, DICE really nailed it. I know this was said enough before. Its really awesome.

I hope this quality will continue into all the DLC and future Star Wars games.

(Still praying for EP7 characters)

I managed to play a few rounds of Turning Point. It might be my favourite mode!

Lots of fun... but man, players need to really remember that these modes are not TDM. My group managed to win every round simply because we followed the objectives and attacked/defended as appropriate. Our opponents seemed content to hang back and snipe with the pulse cannon, regardless of whether they were playing as the Rebels or Empire.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Man im rewatching the OT movies and god damn, DICE really nailed it. I know this was said enough before. Its really awesome.

I hope this quality will continue into all the DLC and future Star Wars games.

(Still praying for EP7 characters)

I watched them again the weekend after getting the game and felt the same way. It truly is a fan service game!

You can't just do this without having the same passion usually. And it shows at how well done it was.

gwailo

Banned

Lots of fun... but man, players need to really remember that these modes are not TDM. My group managed to win every round simply because we followed the objectives and attacked/defended as appropriate. Our opponents seemed content to hang back and snipe with the pulse cannon, regardless of whether they were playing as the Rebels or Empire.

That seems to be pretty much every mode. The good thing is that on the objective based modes you can get points for essentially doing nothing. I got a lot of points last night in Turning Point from just sitting "defending" because everyone else was just running around shooting at whatever was moving.

Boke1879

They really need to add it to the regular rotation. No reason why they shouldn't have done this once it was free to all

They really need to add it to the regular rotation. No reason why they shouldn't have done this once it was free to all

They made it separate downloadable dlc, which is why it had to be made not part of normal rotation. Jakku should have been included as a mandatory game patch, not DLC.

They can't make it part of the rotation without changing how its distributed.

Jakku not being rolled into the main playlist + a single map for Turning Point makes me feel like this first DLC was pretty rushed. No excuse for not having a unified playlist for a map that all players have.

Next patch :)

They made it separate downloadable dlc, which is why it had to be made not part of normal rotation. Jakku should have been included as a mandatory game patch, not DLC.

They can't make it part of the rotation without changing how its distributed.

I would not be surprised if they did this just to be able to track and say X millions of people have enjoyed our "free dlc". Can't do that when it just automatically patches into the game whether the person plays it or not.

Ferr986

I gave up on that. It's impossible.

Ozorov

"@EAStarWars: PC players, #DolbyAtmos is coming.

On 12/10/2015 at around 8:00 UTC, you may be returned to the main menu as we roll out the update."

Jito

Banned
Really tired of this shit now, there is no issues with my connection yet I have to put up with shit like this at times.

This is my current connection, other games work perfectly with no issues online yet Battlefront randomly has these issues where it just becomes unplayable.
CVztHe3WEAAEOmo.png:large
What the hell is going on?!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Jakku not being rolled into the main playlist + a single map for Turning Point makes me feel like this first DLC was pretty rushed. No excuse for not having a unified playlist for a map that all players have.

I think it was done because it is how they were able to handle the 1 week early preorder incentive, otherwise players would be booted in map rotations.

So hopefully it is unified as mandatory next patch and moving forward on the free updates. Otherwise it just becomes a slight annoyance/confusion.

As a side note, I did not play Killzone online, how do Guerrilla handle the free map packs? Weren't they optional downloads?

I would not be surprised if they did this just to be able to track and say X millions of people have enjoyed our "free dlc". Can't do that when it just automatically patches into the game whether the person plays it or not.

I doubt it. I think it is more for the one week early thing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Is the season pass 4 new heroes and 4 new villians? Or 4 total?

The consensus is 4 new ones total. However there are a few that think it may be 4 Heroes and 4 Villains with how it was worded (I am leaning towards this camp), and the fact that there is 4 expansions and would create an imbalance if it was 1 per expansion.

There was also quotes from DICE saying they made a quite a lot of models that we have not seen. So I guess we have to wait, and continue to speculate.

Yeah I don't really get how this was planned out over there. It's not like they came up with this completely last minute, right? But it totally feels that way. Jakku should've been integrated immediately after the week was up, and they should've had turning point versions of the other planets ready to go too. All this dev time and they only managed one map for it? /boggle

Ozorov

The consensus is 4 new ones total. However there are a few that think it may be 4 Heroes and 4 Villains with how it was worded (I am leaning towards this camp), and the fact that there is 4 expansions and would create an imbalance if it was 1 per expansion.

There was also quotes from DICE saying they made a quite a lot of models that we have not seen. So I guess we have to wait, and continue to speculate.
Can you find that quote? :D

And yes as its worded now I also think its 8

I think it was done because it is how they were able to handle the 1 week early preorder incentive, otherwise players would be booted in map rotations.

So hopefully it is unified as mandatory next patch and moving forward on the free updates. Otherwise it just becomes a slight annoyance/confusion.

Yeah I don't really get how this was planned out over there. It's not like they came up with this completely last minute, right? But it totally feels that way. Jakku should've been integrated immediately after the week was up, and they should've had turning point versions of the other planets ready to go too. All this dev time and they only managed one map for it? /boggle

Yeah, it just seems like "okay, it has to be a separate list for one week but then we need to roll it into the entire playlist a week later" would have been a consideration.

I had lag issues the other day. My connection isn't the fastest in the world, for sure, but it's never had an issue before.

I'd get white and red warnings in the top right-hand corner, and would then get lag.

Jito

Banned
Don't want to rain on your parade but the download speed aint that good man.

What parade? Did I ever claim it was amazing? It's good enough to play games on seeing as I have no problems on other games. Thanks for the help though.

this shit happened to me but only today. Game is really laggy for me today.

It's really random for me, I can play half a match perfectly fine then it just devolves into being stuck on the spot. Really annoying as no one else is on the connection and it's constantly at the same speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom