• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars DVD: Partial Packaging + More new shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Packaging from a Sweedish Newspaper article:
swcov.jpg

NO Matte Boxes over Endor:
temp_rotj_se.jpg

High-res new Palpy from ESB:
emperorpalpatine.jpg

High-res Anakin in ROTJ:
episode6_dvd_haydenchristensen.jpg

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
i thought that pic of Anankin was proven fake? anyway, i'll be picking this up, but i hope those aren't regular amaray cases inside the cardboard box. Box sets should have cardboard cases (like the godfather trilogy set!) inside TOO!

ManaByte

Gold Member
Ninja Scooter said:
i thought that pic of Anankin was proven fake? anyway, i'll be picking this up, but i hope those aren't regular amaray cases inside the cardboard box. Box sets should have cardboard cases (like the godfather trilogy set!) inside TOO!

Well, people tried to prove it fake by saying it was just a photoshop job of them slapping his head on Sebastian Shaw's, which is true. That's all ILM is doing in that scene :D

Dead

well not really...yet
I wish they used the SE posters as covers :( oh well it matches the prequel dvds I guess

miyuru

Looks like traditional ama-ray cases. I'm still surprised they changed the ending (that's what Lucas did right?).

You don't just go changing endings on classics!

Hah, I don't even like Star Wars, but I'm just saying! :p

ManaByte said:
Well, people tried to prove it fave by saying it was just a photoshop job of them slapping his head on Sebastian Shaw's, which is true. That's all ILM is doing in that scene :D

So it's fucking real?

Holy shit.....there is no "emoticon" to express what I am feeling right now...

ManaByte

Gold Member
There are people who have their hands on discs for the movies right now (the special features disc is still being edited, the films a done and locked for the DVDs).

Basically the Emperor/Hayden are 100% real, they added new music and score to parts (most likely the Imperial March to A New Hope as John Williams has said he wanted to add it in 1997, but didn't get the chance), they "messed" with the Han/Greedo scene (not sure exactly how yet), and other changes that are "PLENTIFUL".

ManaByte said:
they "messed" with the Han/Greedo scene (not sure exactly how yet), and other changes that are "PLENTIFUL".

I know of the Han/Greedo scene. They added a full body "twitch" to Han after Greedo shoots.

Oh what a glorious day it would be if the backlash from these changes was so immense and widespread that Lucas buckled under the pressure and released the orginal, unfucked with trilogy. Hell, maybe even the SE trilogy too, because I'm sure there are alot of fans of that version that will be left out in the cold with this new piece of shit hack job he's cooking up now.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Error Macro said:
Oh what a glorious day it would be if the backlash from these changes was so immense and widespread that Lucas buckled under the pressure and released the orginal, unfucked with trilogy. Hell, maybe even the SE trilogy too, because I'm sure there are alot of fans of that version that will be left out in the cold with this new piece of shit hack job he's cooking up now.

Dream on.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm glad I still have my Laserdisc copy of the Star Wars Trilogy. I just hate switching the damn disc like 3 times per movie :mad:

Whoa, didn't think he'd bother to that with the ending. It doesn't look bad... it just looks... weird.

EDIT: Oh and I just saw the video of the Han and Greedo change. It looks better than SE. Han sort of "jumps" but I think I still prefer the original.

Wario64 said:
I'm glad I still have my Laserdisc copy of the Star Wars Trilogy. I just hate switching the damn disc like 3 times per movie :mad:

Why don't you convert it to DVD? Even if you don't have the right capture card for it, there are DVD replication places that could probably do it for you.

I had DVD-R ISOs of the original Star Wars Trilogy ripped from the Laserdisks but like a fucking idiot, I deleted them to preserve hard drive space. God damn, after finding out that last altered scene is real (I assumed it was a photoshop) I really truly regret deleting them.

Boogie

DeadStar said:
All you fools, including me, will buy it and you know it ;P

Actually no. I'm a self-admitted Star Wars geek, yes. I would have bought it. I would have bought it with the Emperor changed in ESB. I would have bought it even with the crap from the Special Editions. But with this change, I'm putting my money where my mouth is. I am not buying the Star Wars DVD. This is where I draw the line.

I think I'll be keeping my Definitive Edition LaserDisc version of the trilogy, thanks. Sure you have to change 3 discs and the picture is not as pristine as DVD. But nothing is changed. And it sounds GREAT, the Dolby Surround is accurate to what the original movies were and works better with my system than fake 5.1.

As for the change of Anakin, that WOULD make sense if they changed Obi-Wan and Yoda to their young counterparts as well. How the hell did they miss that one?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Expect more on the special features hopefully next week. Lucasfilm is holding a press event for it next Tuesday (I have to work otherwise I'd try to get in) and they'll be showing the special features and more. Irvin Kershner will be there apparently (along with McCallum, John Lowry and more).

ManaByte

Gold Member
As for the change of Anakin, that WOULD make sense if they changed Obi-Wan and Yoda to their young counterparts as well. How the hell did they miss that one?

Episode III Spoiler:
Apparently it's explained that a Jedi's spirit doesn't age while in the Dark Side. Thus since Obi-Wan and Yoda never turned to the Dark Side, they aged while Anakin's spirit looks the same as it was before he became Vader.

ShadowRed

Banned
"In before whini....shit"

:)

"As for the change of Anakin, that WOULD make sense if they changed Obi-Wan and Yoda to their young counterparts as well. How the hell did they miss that one?"

How do you figure? Both Yoda and Obi Wan died as old men. Anakin died when he was younger. I see no problem ith the change. I really don't think it's neccesary, but it's not going to change the movie. The same go for the Han not shooting first and Luke screaming when he falls from the ledge. All you bitches can whine about nothing and curse Lucas all you want. Get a life and give up Star Wars or realize that a few minor changes doesn't alter the mood and themes of the series.

Neutron Night said:
I think I'll be keeping my Definitive Edition LaserDisc version of the trilogy, thanks. Sure you have to change 3 discs and the picture is not as pristine as DVD. But nothing is changed. And it sounds GREAT, the Dolby Surround is accurate to what the original movies were and works better with my system than fake 5.1.

Yeah, DVDs are far too portable to be any good.

Yeah, I'm sure as Hell glad I bought the LD's when they were just dumping them at clearance prices a few years back. I think 7 bucks a piece I paid. The 1995 THX versions, which are the same as the definitive versions, but with the sexy '95 cover art. And I agree, the Dolby tracks sound absolutely lovely in Pro-Logic II. Definitely better than most 5.1 DD tracks I've heard on DVD, even.

StrikerObi said:
Yeah, DVDs are far too portable to be any good.
Not only that, but everybody knows that the OLD versions of the movies are SHIT compared to NEW versions of the movies. And if you disagree, you're an IDIOT because new technology is BETTER and lets Lucas make BETTER movies, idiot.

Episode III Spoiler:
Apparently it's explained that a Jedi's spirit doesn't age while in the Dark Side. Thus since Obi-Wan and Yoda never turned to the Dark Side, they aged while Anakin's spirit looks the same as it was before he became Vader.

Oh, for fuck's sake. It's like midichlorians again.

BuddyChrist83 said:
man, being a star wars fan feels just like being a sega fan

Totally.

What's this about changes to the han/greedo scene? I heard that they were FIXING it by removing the Greedo shot all together. What's this about making Han jerk around like some parkinson's patient?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Heh, the Definitive LD set still isn't the same version of Star Wars that was in theaters from 1977-1980. All of Beru's dialog was re-recorded for the home video release, as were the Stormtrooper lines in Mos Eisley :D

StrikerObi said:
Totally.

What's this about changes to the han/greedo scene? I heard that they were FIXING it by removing the Greedo shot all together. What's this about making Han jerk around like some parkinson's patient?

Fix it? Oh no no no....

Basically instead of jurking his hand, he does a full body jurk, like a jump.

They "fixed it" by making Han look even more like a candy ass. THANKS LUCAS!

StrikerObi said:
Totally.

THey change to make Han look as if he's shocked by Greedo's shot. He jumps a bit like someone would if you went "OOGA BOOGA".

Willco

Hollywood Square
I'm pretty sure this is part of George Lucas' very own reality TV show ala Boiling Point, to see how much he can fuck up this beloved series before everyone cracks and chaos erupts. The last person left buying Star Wars stuff wins.

Boogie

ShadowRed said:
How do you figure? Both Yoda and Obi Wan died as old men. Anakin died when he was younger. I see no problem ith the change. I really don't think it's neccesary, but it's not going to change the movie. The same go for the Han not shooting first and Luke screaming when he falls from the ledge. All you bitches can whine about nothing and curse Lucas all you want. Get a life and give up Star Wars or realize that a few minor changes doesn't alter the mood and themes of the series.

And it doesn't improve the mood or themes of the series either, so why not complain about unnecessary changes?

Willco

Hollywood Square
DarthWufei said:
THey change to make Han look as if he's shocked by Greedo's shot. He jumps a bit like someone would if you went "OOGA BOOGA".

Haha! Why do I imagine this scene as if they select the frame of Harrison Ford and shake him back and forth, like a Flash animation (ATHF comes to mind)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom