• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Skeleton Crew | Official Trailer

ManaByte

Gold Member
Holy shit! Captain EO is now Star Wars canon. Fuzzball is in the trailer.
dryopZ0.jpeg

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
That looks good. Whatever group within LucasFilm put this trailer together did a good job and knew what they were doing.

And more universe building, I dig it.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Wow, now THIS is a swing for the fences!

The Captain Eo tie-in possibility has me more excited than anything else, really. The idea you can be "lost" in Star Wars space is pretty silly but I'm willing to run with it.

Star Wars suburbia is a TERRIBLE idea though, only the possibility of Sean Austin, Ethan Hawke, Josh Brolin, Henry Thomas, and maybe even Corey Feldman playing bored dads in a nod to the wonder of 80's suburban set fantasy would justify going that direction.

jason10mm

Gold Member
If you don’t know how to use a hyperdrive it’d be super easy.
I dunno, seems like any old monkey can use Star Wars tech, so even a couple of kids ought to be able to figure it out. Plus Lucasfilm has spent the last 10 years or so making the Star Wars universe feel about the size of a backyard so seems odd they would suddenly use "lost in spaaaace" as a plot point. But if they can pull it off, good on 'em.

Doom85

I dunno, seems like any old monkey can use Star Wars tech, so even a couple of kids ought to be able to figure it out. Plus Lucasfilm has spent the last 10 years or so making the Star Wars universe feel about the size of a backyard so seems odd they would suddenly use "lost in spaaaace" as a plot point. But if they can pull it off, good on 'em.

Attack of the Clones established there are connecting galaxies that are mostly uninhabited (at least to general knowledge) and the planet that was making the clones was located there IIRC. Seems like prime real estate for a story like this.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Thrawn and Ezra were lost in space
No they weren't, there was a map that led right to them. They were stranded at best. Even Luke had a bizarrely convoluted bread crumb map that went straight to him. No one is 'lost' in space with a telescope and some stars for reference, at best you are just far (far) away.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
This doesn't look like "Star Wars" to me, but I don't think Star Wars is really maintaining a canon anymore, so much as it's just pumping out stories. This looks like it could be really cool.

Krathoon

I would love some kind of sequel to Captain EO. Like Captain EO's son.

If they could get one of Jackson's kids to do it, it would be great. Does any of his kids have the talent?

jason10mm

Gold Member
I would love some kind of sequel to Captain EO. Like Captain EO's son.

If they could get one of Jackson's kids to do it, it would be great. Does any of his kids have the talent?
To be honest, given what his kids look like, what would be the point? If you wanna follow MJ, scour THE PLANET to find a new talent that can do him justice.

A4DIsga.jpeg

diffusionx

Gold Member
I am sure it is going to be shit just like every other Soy Wars release. Crazy how they just keep roping y'all in.

The suburbs scenario looked bad and empty. Seems like goonies (in feeling), I won't accept any other ending than, after they get accepted to the Jedy temple Anakin shows up :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Outlier

This looks beyond awful. Like, I don't even have words to describe how non-Star Warsy this feels.

O6TSWP3.png
I won't be watching this, but SW takes place in a GALAXY. Not a cluster or system.
It makes sense there'd be at least ONE planet similar to ours, in some ways.

Trilobit

I won't be watching this, but SW takes place in a GALAXY. Not a cluster or system.
It makes sense there'd be at least ONE planet similar to ours, in some ways.

The problem isn't that a planet is Earthlike as most planets in Star Wars are.

tumblr_o2rhezu0wE1tkomm0o3_540.gif

Rome:
443566.jpg

The issue for me is that the suburb looks just like a somewhat futuristic suburbia in Houston. Lucas was always good at injecting a feel of othergalaxiness in his worlds so that they wouldn't feel like Earth. The creators of this show have no eye for that level of detail so it comes off as lazy and jarring.

Last edited:

Toons

This seems more aimed at kids. But thays not entirely a bad thing. Goodies vibes.

I feel for what these kids are going to experience on their social media accounts. But im hoping it ends up engaging as a show

Trogdor1123

I don't know why everyone is moaning about the suburb. I mean not everyone in the Star Wars universe either lives on a desert planet or a dystopian mega city planet so whats the issue.
Agreed. I think they envision everyone living on an ecumenopolis. I can even imagine living like that. I live in the suburbs and find it too much at times lol.

jason10mm

Gold Member
You gotta be REALLY careful with your pop culture homages in Star Wars, lest you get shit like this...

JzpeIue.jpeg

It needs to be done with a very specific goal and intent in mind. It's one thing to use a Fox backlot and glam it up with some Star Warsy stuff due to budget limitations, but these shows have virtually unlimited resources so to go for such a specific americana look and destroy the illusion of "a long time ago and far far away" has to have a pretty significant pay-off.

I would hazard a guess that Disney gave out that opinion with the constant dross they've been shitting out 🤷‍♂️
If it were constant life would be much simpler.

Star Wars is instead on a roulette wheel of quality, and none of us ever know if the next show or movie will end up being a jackpot (Andor, Mando S1/S2, SW Visions S1), a simple prize (Visions S2, Mando S3) or a dud (Acolyte, Boba Fett).

It would fit perfectly in line, in an ironicly sad way, that the one show (Skeleton Crew) which feels like a Disney Channel original movie could end up being one of their best offerings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom