• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Syf

Banned
So, for someone just starting out, it is fine to just pick w/e race looks cool, or should I just stick with Terran? B/c I would love to play as Zerg, but the whole creep thing just confuses the hell out of me.
You should try out each race and decide which one you enjoy the most, then work on improving at playing it. They all have some very distinct differences.

So, for someone just starting out, it is fine to just pick w/e race looks cool, or should I just stick with Terran? B/c I would love to play as Zerg, but the whole creep thing just confuses the hell out of me.

Zerg probably takes the most micro and possibly the most macro to get decent at. Terran is more about continuously making units and getting good with drops unless you go mech (and even then hellbat drops can be great). Protoss is basically building a death ball and 1-Aing things.

Pollux

You should try out each race and decide which one you enjoy the most, then work on improving at playing it. They all have some very distinct differences.
Fair enough.
Zerg probably takes the most micro and possibly the most macro to get decent at. Terran is more about continuously making units and getting good with drops unless you go mech (and even then hellbat drops can be great). Protoss is basically building a death ball and 1-Aing things.
Sorry, but I understood nothing you just said except micro/macro. But what's the difference in micro/macroing zerg vs. terran?

Fair enough.

Sorry, but I understood nothing you just said except micro/macro. But what's the difference in micro/macroing zerg vs. terran?

Zerg is the hardest to get good at, Protoss is the easiest by far, and Terran is about in the middle (closer to Zerg) more or less.

But what's the difference in micro/macroing zerg vs. terran?

Micro is things like keeping up on larva injects and spreading creep. The main micro for Terran is kiting slower units and splitting Marines. Macro is building more bases and raising your worker count constantly.

Pollux

Zerg is the hardest to get good at, Protoss is the easiest by far, and Terran is about in the middle (closer to Zerg) more or less.

Micro is things like keeping up on larva injects and spreading creep. Macro is building more bases and raising your worker count constantly.

Starcraft is honestly the easiest game in the world to learn, in the sense that it's - build bases, make units, kill the other guy. But it is seriously the hardest thing i've ever tried to learn.

Loving 3vs3 AI. Just beat 2 elite and 1 very hard AI. Hardest thing is to live through the early push. Gonna place more spines around my 2nd to start.

Almost every Protoss I'm grouped with ends up cannon rushing like my last game, but one of the AI Zerg 6 pooled XD.

SamuraiX-

FHvqRja.png

TheDailyDot said:
As far as the United States government is concerned, eSports and traditional sports are equal.

Five months after American immigration officials first cleared professional video game players to apply for the same visas as traditional athletes, the first StarCraft 2 pro has finally obtained a P-1A visa. Kim “Violet” Dong Hwan, a 23-year-old South Korean professional StarCraft player, followed trailblazing League of Legends star Danny Le to become an internationally recognized athlete on Dec. 9.

Kim said he teared up over the phone when he was finally assured that he’d be allowed to live, compete, and earn a salary in the United States for at least the next five years. He called it a “life-changing” event. Kim's ultimate goal is to become an American citizen.

“It was do or die for [Kim],” said Andrew Tomlinson, whose Cyber Solutions Agency (CSA) represents Kim. “He either got the visa or entered the Korean military.”

Sickest news ever. Couldn't be happier for viOLet. Would've been a damn shame if he retired over immigration issues. I hope this triggers his reemergence so he gets picked up by a team. I know a lot of Zergs fell off after HotS was released but this guy is legit. Glad he's getting another shot.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I hope associating eSports as sports works out okay. I'm still not convinced it's the best road to 'legitimacy' although it can help with visa issues a lot. Just don't want too much red tape over everything.

FHvqRja.png

Sickest news ever. Couldn't be happier for viOLet. Would've been a damn shame if he retired over immigration issues. I hope this triggers his reemergence so he gets picked up by a team. I know a lot of Zergs fell off after HotS was released but this guy is legit. Glad he's getting another shot.

Isn't Violet still part of Azubu? Maybe a good team will pick him up.

Scarlett is streaming, pretty fun to watch especially with cella giving advice in the background :p. Shame i'm so bloody tired after work and gotta be up early in the morning.

This isn't universally true and it depends what you mean by 'good'. Personally i think zerg is BY FAR the easiest to learn. I found it harder to start off with when i switched to protoss, i actually had to learn build orders instead of just doing whatever i wanted.

So far of the 3 races i've tried terran is the hardest. It's hard to tell if it's because they are just harder to play or if it's because it's hard to get used to after playing so much Z and T.

Aaron

Terran is easy in the campaign, but doing quick drops in medivacs, avoiding banelings, siege/unsiege tanks... there's a lot of micro. I'd say they're the hardest in versus by far, especially with the stupid pros overcoming this and getting them nerfed.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
2/2 protoss army with a 20 food advantage beats 1/0 terran army and some bunkers.
Terran should still win because fuck protoss!

Syf

Banned
Duckdeok retires. :(

I'm still bitter about BlizzCon, but his EU win in season 2 was great. I'm surprised he left when he was finally starting to get the results.

Anustart

I'm always too scared to hit the find match button for 1 v 1. I usually wait for a buddy to get on then do 2s, that way I can blame the losses on some one else! :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just realized something

My name is JD

Like Jae Dong

Mind blown

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
:( FilterSC is quitting SC2

Feel bad because he helped so much with builds and macro. I wish him luck with his future in other things/games.

I won against a protoss. I feel pretty good. Felt like an accomplishment considering I almost died.

heart wrenching stuff. just goes to show you that investing your life into a sport that changes every few months isn't really a good call.

and that tvp is a load of bs

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
2/2 protoss army with a 20 food advantage beats 1/0 terran army and some bunkers.

infantry armor doesn't do much for marines inside bunkers, and ya there's a food advantage but there we're talking about 5 bunkers right? thats 500 minerals which is 10 food of marines if we're contrasting and comparing. additionally, unless both sides are maxed, the protoss will usually have a good food advantage because they'll warp in a round of whatever right before an attack.

and even still, this wouldn't look so stupid if it were at least close. avilo had way better micro than the toss in this encounter, that's unarguable, and the toss attacked right into walled off static d with an a move and didn't just win, but stomped the terran defense with an a move.

of course there's a ton of things avilo could have done to beat this guy, but toss is flat out easier to play, for better or worse. they're generally beatable, but easier to play. if you're just playing the game for fun though, it's not a big deal just mildly frustrating at times. but you're playing for the challenge, right? and toss is a helluva challenge.

Strategy that seems to work best for me against AI is constant Swarm Host pressure and then tech switching to Mutas. Gotten good with my creep spread, but no idea how good it'd be against players.

Maru and sOs have joined Jin Air Green.... ;_;

PRIME NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MKP Please come back and save them. Also Soulkey to SKT1.

Check Liquid, I'm so sad that I can't link the articles. ;_;

Like now I have to cheer for Jin Air Green each time Maru plays. Its gonna be so awkward when Prime and Jin Air play for me. ;_;

Zen

Banned

PRIME NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MKP Please come back and save them. Also Soulkey to SKT1.

Like now I have to cheer for Jin Air Green each time Maru plays. Its gonna be so awkward when Prime and Jin Air play for me. ;_;

Damn, Prime is probably dead :( There goes my favorite team :(

SamuraiX-

Good lord, SKT is fucking STACKED now! If they get another Terran ace to back up FanTaSy, they should damn well near unbeatable on paper.

So WJS is straight dead now, huh? That's really a shame.

I'd say Jin Air and SKT1 are the two teams at the top that can either take 1st place. Mostly cause sOs is good at PvP and Maru is a beast in TvT/TvP. Their Zergs I forget but I think Effort is a good one on their team.

Man I look forward to a Maru vs Rain rematch but its disheartening that its not Maru PRIME anymore... ;_;

Man Byun/Creator vs Maru is gonna be so awkward lol.

Yoshichan

Anustart

Been working on my expo timings lately, namely my 3rd and I'm doing SO much better because of it. Previously I'd get in a 'zone' and not get my 3rd up until my main was almost mined out, effectively putting me on 2 bases every game even though I technically had 3.

I'm keeping my unspent resources low, average supply block time has dropped from 50 seconds 10 seconds and everything is falling in place. There's no better feeling in the world then doing better at this game.

Edit: And I just started playing again about a week ago, first thing I noticed was I couldn't click on enemy units/buildings any more. I ask a buddy about this and he only says "Oh yeah, they just made that change." So I thought it was permanent, but last night I'm poking around in the options and see the check box to disable that. What idiot at Blizzard thought ANYONE would want that option to be default???

Mairu

Imagine if Taeja decided to leave Liquid and join SKT1....
With everything I've heard about the current Kespa teams & SC2 I can't imagine that being a financially beneficial decision for him. The team would be a monster though!
And wow, this happened too: TL-IM partnership sends HerO back to Proleague

Shame that TaeJa doesn't join him. Don't care all that much for HerO.

TaeJa will be too busy winning every season of WCS AM to waste his time with Proleague

Yoshichan

My statistics the past 3 months:

Terran average APM: 187
Terran win rate: 39%

Zerg average APM: 172
Zerg win rate: 42%

Protoss average APM: 134
Protoss win rate: 52%

herp

Top Bottom