• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Aaron

That was said a while ago, so maybe plans change, the hiring of a game designer and their overly long silence on LotV kind of makes me think something is up.
I feel that it's Blizzard's priorities are on their MOBA, Hearthstone, and yet another stab at the mysterious Titan. SC2 is at the bottom of their to do list.

Syf

Banned
I dunno, despite the way Heart of the Swarm has gone this year Starcraft is still one of Blizzard's top IPs, and they wouldn't just stop working on it when Legacy has already been announced. Plus there was a Blizzard dev back at the IEM grand final who said that they're working on Legacy now. But it's been a while since then, too. Guess we'll just have to wait for Blizzcon. I agree with you Zen that the nearly total silence and the job listing for a new lead designer might mean major changes of some kind. I'd welcome that.. don't get me wrong, I love SC2 and it remains my favorite game to play and watch, but they have some work to do to improve the gameplay where I feel like they've painted themselves into corners with all the hard counters, and adapt the IP to a changing esports scene.

Blizzcon can't come soon enough. つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

I feel that it's Blizzard's priorities are on their MOBA, Hearthstone, and yet another stab at the mysterious Titan. SC2 is at the bottom of their to do list.

Hearthstone is the only one of those that are really doing much. Heroes of the Storm hasn't been doing well and Titan has basically reached The Last Guardian territory for me. We've known about it for 4-5 years but still haven't seen a damn thing and the last thing we heard was it was being completely rebuilt by a small team.

Aaron

Hearthstone is the only one of those that are really doing much. Heroes of the Storm hasn't been doing well and Titan has basically reached The Last Guardian territory for me. We've known about it for 4-5 years but still haven't seen a damn thing and the last thing we heard was it was being completely rebuilt by a small team.
It's still more than we've heard about Legacy of the Void. Hell, they've mentioned Rock 'n Roll racing more than they've talked about that.

Been watching the Red Bull tournament off and on and there's been so many ridiculous games. Someone just went quadruple Banshee after holding off a Ling/Roach all-in while killing a ton of drones.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Toss imba as fuck even on SC2 Risk...

TVX9Vip.jpg

Zen

Banned
He can be. A lot of the time I find him to be reasonable and well thought out, like most of his bigger picture appeal was in his sound cloud commentary, but he still gets caught with a streak of dismissive black and white thinking every now and then and it is especially bad when he is in ~content creation I am the voice of authority~ mode on something where he is completely out of his depth like he was on unfiltered. Hearing him lecture players like Destiny and Avilo of how to use mines effectively was cringe worthy, or when he started talking on about very obvious points that either everyone already knows about or was not even asserting.

And the tweets that Avilo got about Unfiltered were talking about balance, and they spent time talking about ~drama~ anyway. Avilo definitely came out looking much better than TB in that whole exchange.

Syf

Banned
Bomber and Polt in the semi-finals of Red Bull, vs Huk and (probably) Violet. Polt and Suppy put on a really good TvZ.

Syf

Banned
Polt crushes Huk, final will be either TvZ or TvT. Should be good! Now if Argentina would just score already.

nooooo

Polt vs bomber, pretty awesome final really. It will be interesting to see what impact this patch has. The foreign scene is mostly just protoss and zergs so it will probably make them perform even worse. On the bright side some of the better terran like major might benefit. WCS NA is going to be a scary place with bomber, taeja and polt after the patch.

Now if Argentina would just score already.

So disappointing though i thought they would lose by more.

Syf

Banned
I know the reason for the low numbers.. Kerrigan looks like she's taking a selfie on the twitch portrait for SC2. Who wants to click on that?

For the most part people watch what they play. SC2's numbers are reflective of its active playerbase. If anything they're probably higher than they deserve to be.

Syf

Banned
Another update to the balance changes: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/13467286659#1

Thank you for helping us playtest the current test map. From our own testing and the feedback we’ve gathered so far, here are our current thoughts on the changes:

Thor AA prioritization change
This is a good change that’s simple and clean. It’s a minor improvement to players who aren’t able to micro Thors against Mutalisks in combat, and the general usage makes more sense with this change.

Time Warp duration decrease

The effects of this change definitely seem noticeable, but we’d like to push this nerf slightly further.

Widow Mine splash radius increase

The splash radius of 2 seems too much against Protoss worker lines. Also, we wonder if the full damage against Zerg being only an increase of 0.25 is too little.

So we’d like to make further adjustments and see if we can push some of these changes as much as possible. The changes we’d like to try next on the balance test map are:

Widow Mine
Widow Mine going back to full splash damage and a 1.75 radius. (But they would still keep the +shields damage)
•This lessens its power against Probes, returns the Widow Mine to how it used to be against Zerg, and provides big improvements against Protoss armies in the mid and late game.
Time Warp
Duration decreased to 10 seconds.

Obviously, these are just balance test map changes and part of the ongoing testing process. Nothing is final yet, so please share your thoughts after having playtested the current balance test map changes as well as the upcoming changes detailed in this post.

Thank you.

Syf

Banned
I'd still like to see them buff terran somewhere else in the late game because widow mines can be pretty easy to deal with once the opponent has good detection, but I do like these changes. Nerfing time warp to 10 seconds is awesome, and more effective mines will help hold off early-mid aggression. Both of the changes will make stuff like blink all-ins much easier to deal with.

Aaron

I'd still like to see them buff terran somewhere else in the late game because widow mines can be pretty easy to deal with once the opponent has good detection, but I do like these changes. Nerfing time warp to 10 seconds is awesome, and more effective mines will help hold off early-mid aggression. Both of the changes will make stuff like blink all-ins much easier to deal with.
In the pro comments, TY said terran need a new late game unit. I figure either that, or making the battlecruiser actually viable in matches outside of the occasional tvt.

Zen

Banned
BC is viable late game against protoss, but it is a very circumstantial transition off of mech provided compositions and gas usage has been going a certain way. Though you could not just go straight to BC in BW either. BC allso are extremely viable TvZ, but again you have to transition them off of the mech path (or bio mech you can still do it), though the relative size of the new maps as hurt their effectiveness slightly. Still I think it is inarguable that BC is viable in TvZ. It would be common place if there was a need to transition, or we saw more mech play at the pro level currently.

I like using widow mines against protoss, but I am a freak of nature that follows the ways of supernova.

I am sort of confused though, if 1.75 and no more splash radius means it will ~lessen its effectiveness against protoss~ but ~ will provide ~big improvements against Protoss armies in the mid and late game~. Do they mean that it be less effective than the current proposed buff but still be a big buff overall.

Also, honestly guys, even though I think we all agree that T T3 is sub par, Blizzard has actually been actively balancing the game for some time now, I swear we have had a balance patch almost every month, and it has all been with things that need tweaking.

Them continuing to nerf time warp gives me hope that we will see a lessening of other anti micro abilities in LotV.

Syf

Banned
Wish the balance patch was out already. Code A starts tonight and Flash plays in two days. Plz make a run this time.

Aaron

I want him to win, but I'd rather watch Terran. At least we'd probably see way more high level micro play from him.

david kim pls
The problem with Flash in particular is he's mainly a mid to late game player. Not a lot of rush strats or cheese builds. He wants to build up and crush the enemy, which is super hard for the terran to do in SC2. His style would suit protoss much better, and honestly I don't think it would be hard for him to switch, aside from the fan reaction. Pros need to know the ins and outs of the other races by matter of course, and the control side protoss are easier than terran overall.

Aaron

I think he could switch in about a month or less and get into Code S tbh
Yeah, look at Classic. Former terran in BW, now GSL champ. I think the previous terran experience has helped him a lot against terran and zerg opponents, though his versus protoss is still a little weak. I'd rather see more terran, but if Flash wants to win, he should go protoss.

Whos playing today??
Right now it's Avenge vs Sleep. Was Parting vs Sora.

Top Bottom