• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElyrionX

Hi guys. Just got a new PC and SC2. With no prior experience with SC2 and just little bit of SC1 play time back in those days, how do I get started? What's the best online resource where I can read about how to become good in the multiplayer game? For these resources, are there any mobile friendly sites?

Ultrabum

ElyrionX said:
Hi guys. Just got a new PC and SC2. With no prior experience with SC2 and just little bit of SC1 play time back in those days, how do I get started? What's the best online resource where I can read about how to become good in the multiplayer game? For these resources, are there any mobile friendly sites?

Check out Day9 and his dailies, some of the episodes are labeled "newbie" and such.

Other than that, I suggest playing games on the ladder, don't worry about your rank and such, its very flexible. Watch the pro's play and learn a few opening build orders, and you'll pick it up faster than you think! Teamliquid is also a great community site, which has links to pro-streams as well as a forum specific to SC2.

If you're generally new to RTS and/or Starcraft, you might also want to check out the single-player challenges. They do a decent job of introducing skills and concepts which are relevant to multiplayer play.

Day9 has a channel on youtube.

fanboi

Banned
Don't listen to the posts above this one.

1) Select Zerg
2) Find match
3) Build infestors
4) ???
5) gg pre gg just to rubb it into their faces

Above is true according to some on this forum

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
ElyrionX said:

Welcome! since i am very very bad I think I should share with you the advice I have, so you can build on that and be better.

your main priorities when playing: Build more workers, constantly building workers.

never queue up tooo many units.

build more workers + supply depots (pylons / overlords)

dont worry about harrasing with a small group of marines or anything fancy, just get those barracks building marines, then A click to attack, and go back to macroing! more drones! more scvs! more more mooooore!

hamchan

ElyrionX said:
Liquipedia strategy sections.

Vaporak

ElyrionX said:

Join the neogaf chatroom in game and observe games and play some practice games with other gaffers is a good idea.

MrKnives

Q8D3vil said:
if the current huk going to eg rumor is true then it explains why idra shook his hand in b.net invitational.

And that EG is following the "any publicity is good publicity" saying. EG/TL/oGs house anyone?

V_Arnold

How DARE they! :D
I am sure TL admins and Tyler will take his time to harness drama from this yet again, but that is their niche anyway.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Q8D3vil said:
if the current huk going to eg rumor is true then it explains why idra shook his hand in b.net invitational.

Say it ain't so :(.

I love HuK and would hate to see him leave liquid.

Q8D3vil said:
That explains them getting a mediocre korean protoss I guess

If this is true, is he gonna be still allowed to live in the oGs house ?

hamchan

TheThunder said:
That explains them getting a mediocre korean protoss I guess

If this is true, is he gonna be still allowed to live in the oGs house ?
I'd hope not. It's an oGs-TL alliance not EG. I see no reason for Huk to leave TL unless EG offered him a crapload of money being the villains they are.

Striek

If Huk leaves Liquid I'd say a large factor would be not wanting to be in Korea anymore (aka easy foreign monies). I just don't see the point in him being the only EG member in Korea, with EG having no other affiliations in Korea.

hamchan

Foreign money ain't so easy anymore. IdrA hasn't exactly dominated since he returned from Korea and all the Koreans come over to play anyways (except for NASL lol).

Yeah and he's in code S which is like winning 4th place at MLG every month as long as you don't fall down to A so it's probably easier money for him to stay.

Vaporak

I'd only see Huk leaving Liquid if he wanted to leave Korea and EG provided a (much) better salary. From the outside at least it's looked like Huk really likes it in Korea right now though. :/

Mairu

NoARp.png

Heosat deleted his comment so it's probably true

MrKnives

Vaporak said:
I'd only see Huk leaving Liquid if he wanted to leave Korea and EG provided a (much) better salary. From the outside at least it's looked like Huk really likes it in Korea right now though. :/

Or they pay him huge salary to stay in korea and Code S and get publicity to EG that way. They even might let him stay in TL house depending on what terms he leaves. I can see him leaving in a good terms because I doubt EG wants to be in a war with TL. They use their site quite a lot.

Edit: Massive hit on TL's fanbase wat?

Striek

pieatorium said:
Yeah and he's in code S which is like winning 4th place at MLG every month as long as you don't fall down to A so it's probably easier money for him to stay.
There are seemingly dozens of online cups each week that Huk could troll. And IPL/NASL etc. Much better than the ~$1300 he collects for a "months work" in Korea.

hamchan

Striek said:
There are seemingly dozens of online cups each week that Huk could troll. And IPL/NASL etc. Much better than the ~$1300 he collects for a "months work" in Korea.

He can easily enter those if he wants; he just has to deal with the latency.

MrKnives

More rumors. This time it's from some chick on Complexity

1. HuK will be staying in Korea.
2. The plan is for him to get an apartment.
3. Salary is rumored to be right around six figures.
4. EG aggressively pursued him. This has been in the works for a while.
5. I'm told there is a new sponsor and this sponsor's influx of money is what made this deal possible. (Say what you want about EG, from a business stand point they set the standard for North American organizations)
6. This is news to most (this had been "very few", it should have always been most) people "in-the-know".
7. Apparently if you are female and have MSN HuK has been willing to tell you for a while. Rumor has it that Team Liquid has signed a Protoss to replace HuK. That I am less sure of so that's all I'll say about that. This is likely not the last major move for EG, but nothing else is signed/100% confirmed."

Source

6 figures lol?

6 figures ?

don't you need to actually win everything you enter and be absolutely dominate before you can get there...

Lucky guy if true

fanboi

Banned
How can sponsors justify these types of money on to "outside of SK" scene?

Do they think they get the money back due to the image their brand generates?

V_Arnold said:
6 figure must mean yearly salary, obviously, imho. :D
I doubt anyone thought it was his monthly salary, he's not a CEO of some big corporation.

6 figures is still huge even yearly for someone of huk status and current achievements.

Flash makes about 250K yearly to put it into perspective.

jersoc

fanboi said:
How can sponsors justify these types of money on to "outside of SK" scene?

Do they think they get the money back due to the image their brand generates?

i'm not knowledgeable in the area, but I imagine it's very cheap advertising compared to other campaigns. every interview with idra he plugs intel and razor.

same reason pepsi is sponsoring the GSL. keeps their name out there for a low cost compared to a national TV spot.

Striek

That salary range is staggering, as said Huk hasn't actually accomplished anything. I don't get SC2/most online games financial sense at all really though.

The IPL got 10-20k viewers season 1 on first broadcast and 6-15k for S2 for example. How do those numbers justify $50k prizepool is beyond me. Especially since the majority of viewers aren't unique across the season.

NASL more reasonably had 15-20k viewers a lot of season 1, and ~90k for the final (50-60k for most of the lesser finals though). But still $100k...

Then you add profit to both those mixes.

I don't get it :x

Only thing I can think of is that advertisers/sponsors vastly over value the online audience. Because traditional TV advertising is sooooooo much cheaper per unique impression from rates I've seen, despite supporting million dollar productions.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
AdventureRacing said:
How are they expecting to actually make money from this move?

read the post above yours :p

Striek said:
That salary range is staggering, as said Huk hasn't actually accomplished anything. I don't get SC2/most online games financial sense at all really though.

The IPL got 10-20k viewers season 1 on first broadcast and 6-15k for S2 for example. How do those numbers justify $50k prizepool is beyond me. Especially since the majority of viewers aren't unique across the season.

NASL more reasonably had 15-20k viewers a lot of season 1, and ~90k for the final (50-60k for most of the lesser finals though). But still $100k...

Only thing I can think of is that advertisers/sponsors vastly over value the online audience. Because traditional TV advertising is sooooooo much cheaper per unique impression from rates I've seen, despite supporting million dollar productions.

GSL gets a lot lot more views than that, and for GOM to be putting it on, let's not forget they are number one a media player company, and their media player has seen a HUGE influx of users since the GSL started (it's constantly on the top downloads on download.com)
192,865 downloads last week

(that was more a justification for the costs of the GSL than the sponsorship of huk :)

Mairu

Striek said:

Anything? Really?

Xyphie

GSL probably does quite well, don't know if it's true but someone said on reddit that due to the leak it was revealed that there was like ~300k people that had bought at least one ticket.

IPL/NASL on the other hand is pure SC2 bubble, I expect they'll both shutdown after a few seasons when VC money runs out.

Striek

Mairu said:
Anything? Really?
Yeah thats definitely hyperbole. He won DH, come 3rd at the NA BNET Invitational and did a bunch of stuff last year.

I just don't see the justification. Being in Code S is still impressive of course, but its kind of stale at the same time if he doesn't progress to at least the Ro8.

Edit: ^^I forget subscription fees. That makes more sense.

V_Arnold

Striek said:
Yeah thats definitely hyperbole. He won DH, come 3rd at the NA BNET Invitational and did a bunch of stuff last year.

I just don't see the justification. Being in Code S is still impressive of course, but its kind of stale at the same time if he doesn't progress to at least the Ro8.

Edit: ^^I forget subscription fees. That makes more sense.

Dude.....Homestory Cup says hi also.

Sblargh

Banned
Xyphie said:
GSL probably does quite well, don't know if it's true but someone said on reddit that due to the leak it was revealed that there was like ~300k people that had bought at least one ticket.

IPL/NASL on the other hand is pure SC2 bubble, I expect they'll both shutdown after a few seasons when VC money runs out.

Won't Heart of the Swarm and the Protoss campaing keep the bubble bubbling, tho?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom