• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr stroke

Quick Noob question-

I keep getting smoked when playing TvP and someone goes mass Void Rays. What is the best Terran counter for mass Void Rays?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Ideally, you shouldn't let them mass a certain unit up.

But if it comes down to it just make marines w/stim to chew the voids up.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
mr stroke said:
Quick Noob question-

I keep getting smoked when playing TvP and someone goes mass Void Rays. What is the best Terran counter for mass Void Rays?
mass vikings or rines i guess

Jeff-DSA

mr stroke said:
Quick Noob question-

Marines are the best counter, but I'm guessing this is more of a scouting issue. Unless they've hid the tech buildings, you should have this build scouted out with a scan. Mules are great, but you'll die if you don't know what's coming. Don't be afraid to use a scan once in a while to check their main.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
that game was a good demonstration of why infestors are the way they are.
zerg has no mobile anti air that can attack into voidray supported armies without them.

Pandaman said:
zerg has no mobile anti air that can attack into voidray supported armies without them.
Infestor is like the all-purpose zerg backbone now

Dooraven

Pretty much. The infestor patch was basically a plaster to cover the numerous issues that Zerg have. Unfortunately Blizzard made chain fungals too broken.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
FieryBalrog said:
Infestor is like the all-purpose zerg backbone now
yep. zergs couldnt walk so blizzard gave them one of those fancy powered chair things rather than attempt surgery.

Dooraven

Why doesn't Destiny main as protoss seriously? His protoss play seems to be much better than his zerg play (which to be honest is pretty much just mass mass infestor).

Edit: Nevermind his openings are so unrefined.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
people who don't use reapers complaining about them, no shocker there. :p

reapers are amazing, but terrans dont understand units they cant build 50 of and win with.

Dooraven said:
hey flux vanes got removed due to 4v4 :(
no, flux vanes was removed due to tvp. it was insanely overpowered. a flux vaned void ray was faster or equal speed with anything terran has that can shoot air. this includes stimmed marines.

it was stupid how terrans had to sacc 10 health on the offchance toss wasn't paying attention/misjudged his range and then have the void rays float away without getting touched.

Dooraven

Pandaman said:

reapers are amazing, but terrans dont understand units they cant build 50 of and win with.

no, flux vanes was removed due to tvp. it was insanely overpowered. a flux vaned void ray was faster or equal speed with anything terran has that can shoot air. this includes stimmed marines.

it was stupid how terrans had to sacc 10 health on the offchance toss wasn't paying attention/misjudged his range and then have the void rays float away without getting touched.

That's interesting. My bad then. Is there a link to Blizzard's explanation or anything?

Q8D3vil

finalozzo said:
the joke is that 5 reapers can kill all your drones in 5 seconds.
league ?

reapers main problem is the build time imo.
if zerg get early speed then its useless.
the problem is that you have to open reaper so you don't know if the zerg is going speed first or fe.

Dooraven

Haunted said:
HotS will not have reapers, you heard it here first.

One interesting note that most StarCraft gamers will want to know is that the Reaper is currently not where Blizzard wants it and will be addressed in Heart of the Swarm. To quote Browder specifically: "The Reaper not in a happy place. It was a bit of a mis-step for us. The players showed us what it was capable of and we nerfed it into obscurity. This will be addressed in Heart of the Swarm."

http://www.gosugamers.net/general/news/14810-dustin-browder-talks-esports-and-hots-at-gdc-2011

I dunno, that quote seems to imply that reapers are still in HoTS

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
1-2 reapers will pay for themselves vs speed first because the guy went speed first and you're already ahead without needing to agress.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Reapers gain speed for every kill they get.
50/50 speed upgrade replaced with 100/100 flame mine that does 50 to light and 35 to armored. 3 per reaper.

Whee

Holden

Pandaman said:

i agree that flux vanes was to good, but it wasn't faster then stimmed marines T.T

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Hugoboss21 said:
i agree that flux vanes was to good, but it wasn't faster then stimmed marines T.T
remember flux vanes was nerfed twice, original vanes gave void rays a speed of 3.32
losing +0.4 speed made them go from untouchable to untouchable without taking unit hp hits.

both were waaaay too powerful.

Holden

it went from being a stimmed marine speed to not being one

dude i agree that flux vanes was too good but it was a huge commitment getting a fleet beacon where it could be usefull ( early void pressure )

i agree with dooravan that it might of been nerfed cause of team games.

Q8D3vil

i just wish that blizzard consider using a different balance fixes for 1v1 and team games in hots.
it won't happen, but 2v2 ruining 1v1 is plain stupid.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Hugoboss21 said:
it went from being a stimmed marine speed to not being one
yea, a speed difference equivalent to that of a slow ovie.

dude i agree that flux vanes was too good but it was a huge commitment getting a fleet beacon where it could be usefull ( early void pressure )
it really wasnt. it was really easy to one base 1 star it into flux and crush pretty much everything at the time. i dont even want to imagine what they could do nowadays.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Hugoboss21 said:
spending 450/350 JUST for flux vanes? thats a huge commitment
im not really discussing this, im telling you this. tvp was broken, it was nerfed, problem solved. if colossi did infinity damage you'd still complain they cant attack air. :p

zoukka

Pandaman said:

I wonder if Blizz will change Hydras in HotS.

Holden

Pandaman said:
im not really discussing this, im telling you this. tvp was broken, it was nerfed, problem solved. if colossi did infinity damage you'd still complain they cant attack air. :p

WATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

i don't even build colossi in pvt and pvz why would i complain about that, but ya they suck, high templars are just so much better;;;

oh and why the heck do u complain about the overlord so much??? They allrdy do so many fucking things and you want more!?!

Hugoboss21 said:
WATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

i don't even build colossi in pvt and pvz why would i complain about that, but ya they suck, high templars are just so much better;;;

oh and why the heck do u complain about the overlord so much??? They allrdy do so many fucking things and you want more!?!

Self entitlement and playing Zerg come hand in hand.

Finalow

Q8D3vil said:
reapers main problem is the build time imo.
if zerg get early speed then its useless.
the problem is that you have to open reaper so you don't know if the zerg is going speed first or fe.
no. I told you, 5 seconds. If you have your speedlings at the base ok, if not they will rape your drones.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Hugoboss21 said:
im simply pointing out that the difference is equal to the movespeed of the slowest unit in the game.

and yes, when you have less units your units have to do more things. that's pretty obvious. I'm not really sure how 'do what it does now, but better' translates into 'wanting more things' but maybe its a protoss thing.

Holden

more like a zerg thing, ur the one complaing all the time the overlord is the slowest unit of the game and the worst drop of the game When it is actually probably the one of the most usefull unit of zerg

Dooraven

Panda you keep on saying Flux Vanes was imbalanced in PvT but I can't find anything on Blizzards patch explanations about that at all, is there any link?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Hugoboss21 said:
more like a zerg thing, ur the one complaing all the time the overlord is the slowest unit of the game and the worst drop of the game When it is actually probably the one of the most usefull unit of zerg
bah, blah, blah holden tells us more how putting the lowest health supply depot thats uniquely disadvantaged by being targettable by air into combat situations and takes the same production as our armies is a good thing.

Dooraven said:
Panda you keep on saying Flux Vanes was imbalanced in PvT but I can't find anything on Blizzards patch explanations about that at all, is there any link?
why would i have a link from a year ago handy?

Holden

Pandaman said:
bah, blah, blah holden tells us more how putting the lowest health supply depot thats uniquely disadvantaged by being targettable by air into combat situations and takes the same production as our armies is a good thing.

Or Scout, make your units faster, block my expansion for 30 seconds, mass drops, not take half you're base took by supply or even transform into a unit that makes my production stop;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom