• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I play Planescape Torment or Baldur's Gate 2?

I played BG2 for a dozen or so hours back when it was released, but I can't remember it at all. They're not on Steam obviously, but I purchased the Anthology from Gamersgate recently, and I thought it was best to ask here.

Salsa

Anyone have any opinions on Pid and Cargo Commander? Dont much care for the other two games in the Indie Royale bundle

Pid is really great. Got tough reviews cause I guess people that are bad at games or dont enjoy challenge in their platformers think it's hard

I guess some spots can get difficult but even then they released a patch with an easy mode and a tweaked Normal mode, so no longer an issue

it's also mad pretty

ipbJ7mWi0SmRF.png

KJ869

I played BG2 for a dozen or so hours back when it was released, but I can't remember it at all. They're not on Steam obviously, but I purchased the Anthology from Gamersgate recently, and I thought it was best to ask here.

Both are excellent games and well worth the time.

jediyoshi

Is it really addictive for the average gamer? Or are you personally working in the cinema industry?

Nah to both, I just enjoy creating stuff. The tool is also stupidly well made compared to other editing software I use for audio/video so it's easy to knock stuff out.

Pid is really great. Got tough reviews cause I guess people that are bad at games or dont enjoy challenge in their platformers think it's hard

I guess some spots can get difficult but even then they released a patch with an easy mode and a tweaked Normal mode, so no longer an issue

it's also mad pretty

Pid is pretty crappy. If they just let you aim your gravity balls it'd have been so much better. You do get used to the throw arc but allowing the player to pause and free aim would have made the game so much more enjoyable to me. It real pretty though and isn't as difficult as much as it's frustrating, so I'll definitely finish it some day when I'm bored and have nothing better to do.

@KingKong Cargo Commander is great. It sort of wears thin after a while but I've had more fun with it than most other games this year but I'm just a sucker for rogue-like likes and things with cool relative gravity.

Blizzard

Banned
Anyone have any opinions on Pid and Cargo Commander? Dont much care for the other two games in the Indie Royale bundle
Cargo Commander is pretty neat, haven't played Pid. The general impression on Cargo Commander is that it's best played a bit at a time, rather than powering through in like a 7-hour sitting or something, since it can get repetitive. In a way the repeating stuff and music is super fitting for the nature of the game and the situation of the main character. It's weird.

Salsa

Pid is pretty crappy. If they just let you aim your gravity balls it'd have been so much better. You do get used to the throw arc but allowing the player to pause and free aim would have made the game so much more enjoyable to me. It real pretty though and isn't as difficult as much as it's frustrating, so I'll definitely finish it some day when I'm bored and have nothing better to do.

aiming the things is easy, as you say you get used to that arc. Never died or anything like that because of misjudging a throw, not an issue for me

when it comes to enemies it tends to stick to the pipe on top of them as well, its pretty generous

MNC

In my quest for backlog i installed ARES, played it for 2 hours, finished it, deinstalled it. Its a pretty weird thing to finish a game in one setting for me. And my god ARES is a forgettable boring game.

aiming the things is easy, as you say you get used to that arc. Never died or anything like that because of misjudging a throw, not an issue for me

when it comes to enemies it tends to stick to the pipe on top of them as well, its pretty generous

Yeah, I didn't have issues with making gravity wells once you get good at it. It's just the jumping controls aren't tight enough for such a timing-based game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Hey guys did you here the new Respawn (ex COD 4 devs) game is using the Source engine supposedly??

The ironic bit would be that if it releases on PC there is a chance it will be an Origin exclusive.

fallout

I just played Thief Gold earlier this year. I added the graphics overhauls and mods and it was a brilliant experience. All of my good nostalgic memories and sentiments towards the game were upheld, and it still remains in my personal top ten games of all time.
Same here! Although, it did take me a bit to readjust to the controls. Once I got past that, it was a fantastic experience.

KingKong

Same here! Although, it did take me a bit to readjust to the controls. Once I got past that, it was a fantastic experience.

Yeah, they actually have a Quake control preset that works pretty well. Thief 2 is still awesome as well, though I don't think Thief 1 is as great as people say, too many mediocre levels for me to really like it

I need to check out Retrovirus, looks like Descent (even though I never actually played it).

It's no descent, for sure, level progression is way more linear, but it scratches that 6DoF itch with a pretty interesting but totally optional story, a genre which is so woefully underserved these days.

BG2 is a more balanced game, though you do yourself a disservice without playing BG1 first. Torment however has the superior story/character interaction/world reactivity, but the combat is not very good. Really depends on what you're looking for. Either way though, look up the GoG thread here by Minsc and consult the modding guide as there are a few essentials in there such as bugfixes and widescreen support

BG2 is a more balanced game, though you do yourself a disservice without playing BG1 first. Torment however has the superior story/character interaction/world reactivity, but the combat is not very good. Really depends on what you're looking for. Either way though, look up the GoG thread here by Minsc and consult the modding guide as there are a few essentials in there such as bugfixes and widescreen support

Cheers mate. I've played the first BG, but that too was many many years ago when I was still a young'un. I think I'll go with PT seeing as the consensus is that the game is much shorter than BG2 and I'm thus more likely to complete it.

Momentary

Banned
Damn.... just preordered Metro Last Light and Remember Me.... My backlog is looking atrocious.

What exactly does this Steam Completionist website do?

FYC

Banned
Yeah, for some reason MW3 nearly got 400 hours out of me. I know everyone else hated it so you'd probably be better off skipping it. I've heard BLOPS2 is better but I haven't played it.

All I play is Quake Live nowadays, for multiplayer FPS at least. I sometimes have the urge to go back to Calladoody though.

Blops 1 is actually the last COD game I bought. Do people still play BLOPS 2?

Definitely. Still very popular on Steam and there's quite a few Gaffers who play.

Are hackers a problem on BO2 multiplayer PC? I played a couple months ago after playing up until a month or two after launch and it seemed like people had really good aim. Just a more hardcore player base that stuck around...or maybe I was out of practice?

Nabs

Are hackers a problem on BO2 multiplayer PC? I played a couple months ago after playing up until a month or two after launch and it seemed like people had really good aim. Just a more hardcore player base that stuck around...or maybe I was out of practice?

Hackers are not a problem in Blops 2. Treyarch and Valve are both on their shit.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Yeah, it has been a while since I've caught someone undeniably hacking and I play pretty frequently.

Poor sportsmanship is worse. People love to think that someone is hacking, when they clearly aren't.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, someone please kill me now. I'm so used to buying Steam games in quantity that I'm doing the same on 3DS. And the worst part is that THEY AREN'T ON SALE.

Anyway, 2 days until Fez.

No hackers at all in BO2 in my experience. Maybe the aiming was particularly good when you were playing, in my experience the aiming in pub games is still far below CS levels (no surprise there really).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom